Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Is that your photo? Any chance you could post (or PM) a pic of the nutrition information?

Yeah it's my photo, I'll get a photo after six when I get in this evening after work.

Yeah it's my photo, I'll get a photo after six when I get in this evening after work.

Here you go.

IMG-20190410-181246.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Here you go.

IMG-20190410-181246.jpg

Oof, high enough on the calorie / fat count.... will be interested to hear what they're like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wouldn't want to be eating 2 of them every evening alright...

Thargor wrote: »
    Wouldn't want to be eating 2 of them every evening alright...

Two every evening:eek:?

Had a look this evening there when I was in Aldi, there's three of them available, there's that spicy version I bought already, and a southern fried one, and a buttermilk one.

They all seemed to be in and around the same calorific value/fat g etc. (If that matters to you)

But personally I like chicken thighs, and I like spicy chicken thighs even more, and I especially like chicken thighs when they're spicy burger type thighs, resting in a burger bun with a little bit of salad, and maybe a bit of melted cheese and some mayo.

Ice cold beer to wash it down.

Hurry the fcuk up Friday. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Had one today. Had the spicy one. Usually I like Spicy food , but be warned they are quiet hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres buttermilk and southern fried fish burgers in the freezers aswell, why am I seeing buttermilk flavoured stuff all over the place these days? Is it a fad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Theres buttermilk and southern fried fish burgers in the freezers aswell, why am I seeing buttermilk flavoured stuff all over the place these days? Is it a fad?

If fad last for years and years on end then sure. Usually would have seen in in restaurants and fast food places as opposed to supermarkets though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Anyone try these yet?

IMG-20190409-214029.jpg

I've got high hopes for them. Will have some with homemade wedges as a Friday treat and report back.

Just had the buttermilk ones today. I didn't wanna try the hot in case it was too much so used a hot sauce I know I like.
    Had it with a seeded brioche bun, lettuce, onion and the hot sauce, really really nice.
    Their quite big so you'd easily get 4 small burgers or 3 decent ones from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

It's used more for tenderising chicken than for adding flavour. It does add a bit of flavour too though.
    I don't think it's a fad as such, I'd say it was probably always used in better quality products seeing as it's the authentic way to make Southern Fried Chicken. Maybe it's just because product descriptions have got much more wordy and descriptive and ingredient-focused in recent years?

• Advertisement

.red. wrote: »
    Just had the buttermilk ones today. I didn't wanna try the hot in case it was too much so used a hot sauce I know I like.
    Had it with a seeded brioche bun, lettuce, onion and the hot sauce, really really nice.
    Their quite big so you'd easily get 4 small burgers or 3 decent ones from them.

Well I just had mine about a half hour ago, and they're pretty good for a shop bought frozen burger.

I had mine in a wholemeal seeded bun, little bit of salad and some youghurt and mint dressing.

Also homemade, hand cut and baked wedges or big fat chips if you prefer to call them that.
    As always, I left the skin on my spuds when I made them.

Not the best pic, but you'll get the gist.

IMG-20190412-184046.jpg

Yeah it was a decent size alright, the spice I thought was ok, I'd prob give it s 2/5 if asked to rate it's spiciness.
    Good thick piece of chicken, made an excellent burger.

I will buy again. Expect these to be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,323 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Is the meat processed to be like ground chicken? Or is it as chicken should be?!
    I never liked frozen chicken, but it's been years since I've tried any.

Is the meat processed to be like ground chicken? Or is it as chicken should be?!
    I never liked frozen chicken, but it's been years since I've tried any.

It's pretty much a whole chicken thigh that's been flattened.n

• Registered Users Posts: 21,933 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's pretty much a whole chicken thigh that's been flattened.n

I have the Southern Fried ones in the oven now , decided to get them after reading the posts about them !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I am definitely giving them a go!

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I have the Southern Fried ones in the oven now , decided to get them after reading the posts about them !

Enjoy mo4, let me know what you think, hopefully you have a beer with yours, cos mine got given away to feckin visitors the other night apparently:mad:

I'm for the pub now to sample a cold one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,933 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Enjoy mo4, let me know what you think, hopefully you have a beer with yours, cos mine got given away to feckin visitors the other night apparently:mad:

I'm for the pub now to sample a cold one. :pac:

No beer J D , enjoy the pub , but I'd buy these again !
    In a seeded bun with mayo , onion and a little sauce , very tasty and meaty .
    They are much bigger than I thought though :D

Can also recommend the buttermilk fish burgers , quite thick , flaky fish , well worth buying imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

dee_mc wrote: »
    It's used more for tenderising chicken than for adding flavour.

Since when did chicken need to be tenderised?? :confused:

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Since when did chicken need to be tenderised??

You've obviously never had the misfortune of visiting KFC lol

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

These are €2.49. I'm not sure what they are like.
    57101545_2281293255526616_1670688616822603776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=0bc9a25599fbe01c6cee0b26dde2a549&oe=5D426311
    56890487_2281293312193277_6064118781112745984_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=62aeb9fbcfbd96bfd8aba06c1ae662d6&oe=5D3C69D8
    56816104_2281293368859938_7477356621442580480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=ec473a605fe0c227161993438b980c03&oe=5D01D7A0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Oh no, biscuit cake is my favourite :(

*loosens belt a notch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

The Seabrook spicy crisps that are being sold for half-price (85c for a big bag) are pretty damn tasty - I've only had the 'scorching hot Trinidad scorpion chilli' ones and while they are quite spicy, they aren't stupidly so :)

I think the other two flavours are chili and lemon, and smokehouse cayenne, which are not supposed to be as hot as the trinidad scorpion ones.

edit: picture

ZUqUoRW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Vin de France wine on the bottom shelf, value to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

These are €2.49. I'm not sure what they are like.

Bought and liked the rocky road, not worth €2.49 though, I think Laldi prices are going up and up for new items they are starting to stock in general

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The only issue I have with the thigh chicken burgers is that they are made from Spanish and Portuguese chicken

If it was Irish Chicken I’d be happier - given the fact that it’s all about the breast meat here in Ireland and so much of our leg thigh and wings are sent abroad. Might be an opportunity for some import substitution for and Irish producer using Irish produce, prob cost more though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bought and liked the rocky road, not worth €2.49 though, I think Laldi prices are going up and up for new items they are starting to stock in general

I'm finding that too. It seems to be getting more and more expensive every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Likewise, have noticed prices creeping up in Aldi over the last 12-18 months. Theres not as many bargains in there anymore, instead they have lots of stuff priced 2.49 that would have been around 1.79/1.99 back in late 2017. They're still better value than Dunnes/SV, etc but the wow factor on low prices seems to have evaporated over the last while. Have Lidl being doing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Champion Steak Cut Chips & Straight Cut Chips. So tasty!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Likewise, have noticed prices creeping up in Aldi over the last 12-18 months. Theres not as many bargains in there anymore, instead they have lots of stuff priced 2.49 that would have been around 1.79/1.99 back in late 2017. They're still better value than Dunnes/SV, etc but the wow factor on low prices seems to have evaporated over the last while. Have Lidl being doing the same?

I think the likes of Tesco and even some products in SV have come down a bit to compete with Aldi/LIDL so it's a bit of a move towards the middle probably with ALDI & LIDL increasing slightly and the others coming down a bit so there is less of a gap.

I do notice for the fancier food in particular there is not much difference sometimes e.g. ALDI have a fancy 300g pack of smoked salmon for Easter for 9.99 - SV have their "normal" 300g smoked salmon on special offer at 5.50 this week and their luxury applewood smoked 300g one at 33% off for approx €10 too at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

B0jangles wrote: »
    The Seabrook spicy crisps that are being sold for half-price (85c for a big bag) are pretty damn tasty - I've only had the 'scorching hot Trinidad scorpion chilli' ones and while they are quite spicy, they aren't stupidly so :)

I think the other two flavours are chili and lemon, and smokehouse cayenne, which are not supposed to be as hot as the trinidad scorpion ones.

edit: picture

ZUqUoRW.jpg

Not marked at half price down my local:(

Advertisement