Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tried the flaming hot chicken thigh burger tonight, with a few sweet potato fries and a green salad. Very tasty indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone tried those frozen kebabs beside the chicken burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This stuff is absolutely gorgeous.

IMG-20190423-083824.jpg

Really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I’m just wondering about the chicken burgers, they look lovely but why do they use thigh meat instead of breast meat?

fin12 wrote: »
    I’m just wondering about the chicken burgers, they look lovely but why do they use thigh meat instead of breast meat?

Because thigh meat is much nicer and juicier than the breast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Yeah, my brother has gotten them a couple of times (the piri piri one). It's a LOT of chunks of marinated thigh meat pinned together with two wooden skewers. He just eats the meat as is but I'd say it'd be great in a hot chicken roll, a wrap, in salads etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Aren't they absolutely VILE?! I honestly have no idea how they're still on the shelves :eek:

Re salt and vinegar rice cakes

Gave one each to the kids for lunchbox (the treat bit) few weeks ago (they love salt and vinegar anything usually), two older ones couldn't eat them, but the youngest had his and the other two's, he's not a good judge, vile is a good description!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭robwen

Was searching for the chicken thigh burgers on their website but couldn't find them, are they a limited availability product?

robwen wrote: »
    Was searching for the chicken thigh burgers on their website but couldn't find them, are they a limited availability product?

Tbf, their website is a bit crap when searching for some stuff, but I would guess that they're going to be a part of the regular items.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Absolutely delicious. And only 2 quid. Added blueberries and greek yoghurt.

The-Foodie-Market-Fruit-Granola.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps for those of us who don't particularly like breast meat.

Perhaps for those of us who don't particularly like breast meat.

I’m asking because I’ve never had thigh meat so want to know what the difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Yes i have them,i am doing them later.Will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got the spicy chicken thigh burgers after the gym for lunch to see what the fuss was about. Had two of them in brioche buns with lettuce, mayo and the jalapeno burger cheese melts they do washed down with a litre of Aldi protein milk. Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I’m asking because I’ve never had thigh meat so want to know what the difference is.

You've had chicken but neverytadted thigh meat?
    Ever have roast chicken? They have thighs.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,598 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The thigh is sort of under the leg on a chicken.(Not being smart with you).
    Personally it's my least favorite part of the chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

fin12 wrote:

Thigh = dark meat
    Breast = white meat.
    Thigh is generally regarded as more flavoursome and juicier.

Ok thanks so when I cut into the burger it will be dark meat, I’m just used to eating a chicken burger and seeing only white meat. I’m just trying to figure out how they actually make a thigh chicken burger, do they mince all the thigh meat and shape it into a burger?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you get a standard chicken curry in the Chinese takeaway it will usually be thigh and/or leg meat -then they usually have a chicken breast curry too which costs a bit more.

I know a guy who is squeamish/wary & picky about it so always got the breast curry. I finally got him to try the normal one and he really liked it. I saw a customer asking in the takeaway before and they were recommending the regular as it had more taste, I find it more tender too. You will see lots of chefs recommend thigh meat for curries too.

Ok thanks so when I cut into the burger it will be dark meat, I’m just used to eating a chicken burger and seeing only white meat. I’m just trying to figure out how they actually make a thigh chicken burger, do they mince all the thigh meat and shape it into a burger?

I think it's a whole thigh which has been deboned and trimmed - they are not a regular patty shape like you'd get with a minced meat burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Thigh meat, cooked properly is a lot nicer than breast. It probably doesn't look as nice as it's darker, more like a grey than white.
    It's an Irish thing that breast meat is the only bit of the bird worth eating. The rest is only for for the bin or the dog!! This is complete nonsense tho. It's more tender, juicier and flavoursome than the white meat.
    If I'm doing a casserole it's all I use!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

+1 on thigh meat, its more flavoursome and juicy than breast meat. Some people in Ireland seem to think that if their chicken meat isn't snow white in colour then it is not right. They see the darkness of the thigh meat and are put off by it. I'd guess the same people would then never go anywhere near trying duck, which also has a darker colour to it. More fool them I'd say, duck meat is superb as are chicken thighs.

Tried Emmas Brown Bread ("Winner of the National Brown Bread Baking Competition"). Its worth trying out but I'm not sure I'd buy again at 1.79 a pack. Itz nice but not exactly groundbreaking either. Also got the frozen blueberries which are decent, a couple of handfuls of them chilled down my banana smoothie nicely this morning.

I only use thigh meat for my curries now.Its so much nicer and doesnt dry out the way teh breast does.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Yeah, my brother has gotten them a couple of times (the piri piri one). It's a LOT of chunks of marinated thigh meat pinned together with two wooden skewers. He just eats the meat as is but I'd say it'd be great in a hot chicken roll, a wrap, in salads etc.

Mine are cooking as we speak,but do they come apart themselves.Cause it looks like a lot of meat.Not that im complaining

dubstarr wrote: »
    Mine are cooking as we speak,but do they come apart themselves.Cause it looks like a lot of meat.Not that im complaining

Just asked and nope, there is just one huge kebab held together on the 2 sticks. He recommends basting it several times with the marinade which'll pool in the tin, and cooking it for about 1.5 hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

This stuff is absolutely gorgeous.

IMG-20190423-083824.jpg

Really really good.

Had this today with the chicken thigh burger and gourmet brioche bun.

I think I've reached peak Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Can recommend the Goan Vindaloo sauce in a jar with spices on top. I fried off some onions, garlic, chillis, tomato paste with the spices and then set that aside before browning some chicken and adding the onion mixture again along with the vindaloo sauce. It is not an exact replica of vindaloo but it is very close and has a nice deep rich flavour to it. Thought I might have gone over the top by adding chillis to it but it was grand, not too hot at all. I found it in the middle aisle nearest the tills a couple of weeks back so it might be end of line, if I can find some jars there tomorrow I'll be stocking up.

I actually like the regular “Aldi special” madras for 90 odd cent. One jar with some chicken, extra chilis and a bit of rice and you have a massive meal for two. There is a bit of a kick off it even without the extra chili’s.

B0jangles wrote: »
    Just asked and nope, there is just one huge kebab held together on the 2 sticks. He recommends basting it several times with the marinade which'll pool in the tin, and cooking it for about 1.5 hours :)

I had mine in a wrap.It was so lovely.Really tasty and loads of meat.I still have one kebab left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Bought a can (ok, i bought 2) of Pinot Grigio Frizante in aldi today. €1.99 for 200ml.

Has anyone tried? I'm hoping they're nice. I sometimes fancy a glass of fizz but my OH is not a fan so opening a bottle always seems a bit of a waste. These will be ideal if they're good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Had the thigh burgers, really likes them and will be buying them again .

Advertisement