Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Jaysus I don't even like chicken thigh but with the raving over these burgers I will have to give them a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

Jaysus I don't even like chicken thigh but with the raving over these burgers I will have to give them a try!

I had them with a brioche bun, taco sauce, edam cheese & streaky bacon. It was actually delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AhhHere

I had the buttermilk ones and thought they were very bland to be honest. Needed a bit of sauce to be any use. Looking to try a different flavour next time

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

SozBbz wrote: »
    Bought a can (ok, i bought 2) of Pinot Grigio Frizante in aldi today. €1.99 for 200ml.

Has anyone tried? I'm hoping they're nice. I sometimes fancy a glass of fizz but my OH is not a fan so opening a bottle always seems a bit of a waste. These will be ideal if they're good!

I tried these at the Aldi summer wine tasting. It’s a fairly sweet and fruity Pinot Grigio, not really my style, but I could see a few cans being consumed on a summers day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I know a very nice cocktail made of gin, prosecco and elderflower cordial which I hardly ever make because I don't have half bottles of prosecco lying around. Cans of a frizzante pinot grigio might be a very handy replacement :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AhhHere wrote: »
    I had the buttermilk ones and thought they were very bland to be honest. Needed a bit of sauce to be any use. Looking to try a different flavour next time

I got the buttermilk ones too and the texture was good but the coating wasnt bursting with flavour. Gonna try the spicy ones next.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I tried the vegan roast cauliflower masala sausages tonight. Not too bad at all, nice curry flavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

B0jangles wrote: »
    I know a very nice cocktail made of gin, prosecco and elderflower cordial which I hardly ever make because I don't have half bottles of prosecco lying around. Cans of a frizzante pinot grigio might be a very handy replacement :D
    They have small bottles of Prosecco, too. I like to have one or two in the house to make an Aperol Spritz. It's a pain having to open a big bottle and have it go flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

After having the thigh burgers ! Smashing ! Part of our weekly now id say !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I had the Southern Fried ones this evening and Im not getting the love tbh, weird taste off them imo, wont be buying them again anyway.
    Technique wrote: »
    Had this today with the chicken thigh burger and gourmet brioche bun.

I think I've reached peak Aldi.
    Couldnt find it so got the Sriacha type instead, lovely coleslaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

dudara wrote: »
    I tried the vegan roast cauliflower masala sausages tonight. Not too bad at all, nice curry flavours.

A friend of mine is vegan (part time, though as he likes to get some meat from time to time) and while he liked them he did comment on the low protein count in them (all flavours, think there are two or three).

There are really vegetables in disguise and he prefers the wannabe meat to contain some protein, especially when he isn't eating any meat at all at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Right, I'll be in Aldi tomorrow and obviously have to pick up these burgers (that's if they have any in stock at this rate!)
    How many different types are there? Is it just buttermilk and a spicy one? I've seen a southern fried one mentioned too, is that the same as the buttermilk one?

On another note entirely how does the Aldi version of Baileys measure up, and do they have anything that resembles Coole Swan at all? I'm sure there was some sort of chocolate liqueur at Xmas, but I think it might just have been Xmas stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Right, I'll be in Aldi tomorrow and obviously have to pick up these burgers (that's if they have any in stock at this rate!)
    How many different types are there? Is it just buttermilk and a spicy one? I've seen a southern fried one mentioned too, is that the same as the buttermilk one?

On another note entirely how does the Aldi version of Baileys measure up, and do they have anything that resembles Coole Swan at all? I'm sure there was some sort of chocolate liqueur at Xmas, but I think it might just have been Xmas stock.

I think they stock chocolate liqueur all year round.

Actually off topic but speaking of Baileys, anyone tried the new Baileys Strawberries n creme? Saw it in Duness the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Going to aldi for a shop this evening, will definitely be adding the spicy chicken thighs and pickled slaw to my list. Both sound delish, hope they are in stock, my nearest aldi is a smaller one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

There's 3 types picked up the southern fried and buttermilk ones myself yesterday. Got the pickled slaw too. It's a small enough tub for €2 the siracha one is the same price but a good bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

fin12 wrote: »
    Actually off topic but speaking of Baileys, anyone tried the new Baileys Strawberries n creme? Saw it in Duness the other day.

Had a taster in the airport the other day - wouldn't be for me. Far too sweet/angel delight-ish for my taste.

Give me original Baileys any day.

I'm sure some people will like it but I'd say only for those with a sweet tooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Mrs G! uses the Aldi version of Baileys for a tiramisu and I get to have the remains. :p It's not as thick as the original but taste-wise it's fine. For half the price (or more?) you could decant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And 1/2 the alcohol % as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Got the hot chicken burger. Will report back later. Hope they're not too hot.

Anybody know if the frozen garlic in the little box is discontinued? Haven't been able to get it in weeks now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭snowgal

fin12 wrote: »
    I think they stock chocolate liqueur all year round.

yes! and its frickin delicious!!!! Im not even a major fan of Baileys but this is like a strawberry milkshake. verrrry easy drink though........
    Also back on topic, like so many ppl here, I bought the buttermilk burger and will try tonight! such hysteria :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

snowgal wrote: »
    yes! and its frickin delicious!!!! Im not even a major fan of Baileys but this is like a strawberry milkshake. verrrry easy drink though........
    Also back on topic, like so many ppl here, I bought the buttermilk burger and will try tonight! such hysteria :D

I love strawberry milkshakes so will def get a bottle of this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Bought the chicken thigh burgers today (must be flying out on account of this thread) and siracha coleslaw and brioche buns.
    Hope they live up to the hype!
    And to my shame,another mars bar easter egg for dessert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I picked up one of the aldi own-brand easter eggs reduced from 4.99 to 2.49 yesterday and it's really nice, far nicer than the little malteasers egg I had on Easter Sunday :D It's the one that comes wrapped in a big bouquet-like piece of purple cellophane it's a fairly big egg and 8 chocolates - total 300g)

(now reduced to half an egg and 4 chocolates... oh dear)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,933 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I got the sriracha slaw this evening , first time trying it and I'll definitely be getting it again !

Also converted daughter to the thigh burgers :D

Damn! I forgot to look for the siracha coleslaw.
    Too busy looking for the chocolate liqueur, which is reduced to €8 from €9 I think at the moment. I hope it's not being discontinued because the eye gel is, in case anyone is looking for that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Bought the chicken thigh burgers today (must be flying out on account of this thread) and siracha coleslaw and brioche buns.
    Hope they live up to the hype!
    And to my shame,another mars bar easter egg for dessert.

Aldi are missing a trick if they don't add an "As recommended by Boards.ie Food Forum" to the shelf tag beside those burgers :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I got the sriracha slaw this evening , first time trying it and I'll definitely be getting it again !

Also converted daughter to the thigh burgers :D

Literally just back from Aldi, had the sirracha slaw in my hand and somehow came home with the picked slaw instead,:confused:

We like to have Takeaway style meals on Fridays , and so I'll be having flaming hot thigh burger tomorrow again (one left over from last week) I think that sirracha slaw might add to the taste experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Literally just back from Aldi, had the sirracha slaw in my hand and somehow came home with the picked slaw instead,:confused:

We like to have Takeaway style meals on Fridays , and so I'll be having flaming hot thigh burger tomorrow again (one left over from last week) I think that sirracha slaw might add to the taste experience.

johnny dogs i have to commend you on the chicken thigh burgers oh man there delicious,i bought 2 boxs 1 box of the flame grilled and 1 box of the southern fried as my mum does not like hot stuff i got her the southern fried ones.verdict was absolutely delicious juicey the works there on my weekly list now,cheers johhny :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I've been vegetarian for a few months now and this bloody thread and your chicken thigh burgers are going to be the death of me. I'm so tempted.

Advertisement