Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

This thread influences me too much... yesterday bought the buttermilk thigh burgers, the nacho cheese burgers and the sriracha coleslaw. Looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I love chicken thighs but jesus, they're bad enough without adding breadcrumbs! Will be staying away from these, I've a bikini to fit into in 10 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

sriracha coleslaw bought that today.Wouldnt be mad about it.The thigh burgers in buttermilk are really nice.Be buying them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I love chicken thighs but jesus, they're bad enough without adding breadcrumbs! Will be staying away from these, I've a bikini to fit into in 10 weeks!

Is the meat from chicken thighs any less healthy than say breast, assuming both are skinless, and not deep fried etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

They have much more fat, but nothing particularly unhealthy about them.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »
    They have much more fat, but nothing particularly unhealthy about them.

That's what I would have thought, I know my mum absolutely feckin loaded up on them when she was going through her slimming world phase.

Is the meat from chicken thighs any less healthy than say breast, assuming both are skinless, and not deep fried etc?

Yeah, chicken thigh meat is still slightly higher in fat than breast, even without the skin.

But realistically, how many people eat chicken thighs without it? It's a huge part of the appeal.

Are the burgers from Aldi skinless? Anyone got the nutrional info handy?

Yeah, chicken thigh meat is still slightly higher in fat than breast, even without the skin.

But realistically, how many people eat chicken thighs without it? It's a huge part of the appeal.

Are the burgers from Aldi skinless? Anyone got the nutrional info handy?

I don't think the skin is on the Aldi burgers, just a seasoned breadcrumb coating.

I do skin and fillet thighs though.

I do skin and fillet thighs though.

Fair play. I absolutely love skin-on thighs, but my maintenance calories are 1,200 so they're a rare treat for me indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They’re about 345-370 cals per burger depending on the burger. Have them without a bun or mayo and they’re fine in terms of calories.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote:
    They’re about 345-370 cals per burger depending on the burger. Have them without a bun or mayo and they’re fine in terms of calories.

Most people here were having them with brioche buns, though. That's another, what, 300-odd cals? And that's before you add even a condiment let alone a side.

I realise not everyone is counting or even cares about calories but that's just too rich for my blood, sorry!

Mind you, I hate brioche so that's a bit of a moot point! Not a big fan of breaded/battered chicken either, really. But man, do I have a serious goo on me now for a lovely, skin-on thigh :(

Butcher near me does free-range, boneless ones for a euro each. I may have to treat myself during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Leinster1980

Buttermilk chicken thighs....very very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Buttermilk chicken thighs....very very tasty!
    thanks, first ive heard of these.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Most people here were having them with brioche buns, though. That's another, what, 300-odd cals? And that's before you add even a condiment let alone a side.

I realise not everyone is counting or even cares about calories but that's just too rich for my blood, sorry!

Mind you, I hate brioche so that's a bit of a moot point! Not a big fan of breaded/battered chicken either, really. But man, do I have a serious goo on me now for a lovely, skin-on thigh :(

Butcher near me does free-range, boneless ones for a euro each. I may have to treat myself during the week.

I count calories too, and aim for just over 1300 a day, but I tend to ‘save’ mine for dinner. The buttermilk version are 324 calories (no skin, oven baked) and a brioche bun is 159. Use lettuce and light mayo and you’re not adding much more. As has been said though, they’d be just as good without the bun.

I'm genuinely surprised at the Aldi buns only being c. 160 cals, I looked at some before (can't remember where, possibly Marks & Sparks) and they were definitely hovering around the 300 mark. As I said, I don't like brioche anyway so it doesn't really affect me.

Even at the Aldi cals, one of those burgers in a brioche bun with coleslaw or mayo a slice of cheese and a portion of oven chips would easily clock in at the guts of a thousand calories, which might take a lot of people by surprise.

But hey, as I said, not everyone wants or needs to care. The bastards!

Also indulged in buttermilk thigh burgers on sesame seed brioche buns with aldi crucials garlic and herb sauce, and a side of the sriracha slaw. Delicious!

Would add it to the rota but I told the wife how many calories were in the burger, whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Had the flaming hot ones this evening, very tasty. Thanks for the recommendation and location of them. Took a screenshot of the flaming hot ones using the myfitnesspal app.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

B0jangles wrote: »
    I've tried brioche buns from Dunnes, Lidl and Tesco, and the Aldi specially selected are definitely the nicest - they also keep the best too, which presumably means they have the highest proportion of fat and/or sugar. The others have a best before of about a week to ten days, the aldi ones are good for a month or more.
    I was saying before I think they are significantly better than the others too, and that I think the long life might be some sort of treatment, possibly irradiated. I did compare ingredients before and nothing seemed unusual.

Tesco have a german brand of long life regular burger buns and hotdog buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

...and another convert...had to know what the fuss was about.. simply amazing, puts any burger joint to shame..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Felt like I hit the jackpot earlier this evening with this whopper that obviously passed by quality control while they were on the doss. She weighed in at 228g.

https://ibb.co/3rM92zW

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Felt like I hit the jackpot earlier this evening with this whopper that obviously passed by quality control while they were on Facebook. She weighed in at 228g.

3rM92zW

Feckin hell:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did I cut it in half to make two burgers? Did I fcuk :D

https://ibb.co/ThY4tp0
    https://ibb.co/cvWXYvv

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did I cut it in half to make two burgers? Did I fcuk :D

https://ibb.co/ThY4tp0
    https://ibb.co/cvWXYvv

Ha, love the floating plate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I usually get the Moser Roth 85% chocolate but plumped for the Dominican Republic 75% one this time - and it's really divine!! Also in 5 individual bars, I hope it's regular stock.

Also succumbed to the chicken thigh burger frenzy, tried the buttermilk one tonight. As someone posted before, the coating was strangely bland - but with a heap of salt (just to make it even more unhealthy) it was grand. Wouldn't be rushing to buy more tbh. Although it's a handy thing to have in the freezer.

I just had it with a dollop of that sriracha coleslaw which is also the all the rage - jury is out on that for now, there's a very sour/ bitter edge to it that I'm not mad about, but it might grow on me. The pickled stuff is gorgeous though!! Really different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Well I bought into the hype and got the chicken thigh burgers on Saturday, lol. Southern fried on the brioche buns with some pickled slaw and a marie rose sauce cos we had feck all else in. It was so tasty! Really good but the healthy living starts this week so I've had my taste and that's the end of them for me :D

I did cut a bit off the end of my burger so it fit nicely into the bun. (But I ate it afterwards, of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I really want to try these thigh burgers. The fact I'm the only gluten eater in the house has held me back for to long. gonna pick some up this week.
    I feel like Homer declaring he's going to clown college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Right the missus is away at an ICA do. So When I was in town today and picked up a pack of the Chicken Thigh burgers, pickled slaw and some Brioche buns.

In the oven as I speak.

Been doing irregular hours this week, all over the shop and feckin starving

I hope ye lot aren't going to let me down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

gozunda wrote: »
    Right the missus is away at an ICA do. So When I was in town today developed in a picked up a pack of the Chicken Thigh burgers, pickled slaw and some Brioche buns.

In the oven as I speak.

A nation holds its breath.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I tried my buttermilk ones tonight, absolutely amazing - had mine in a brioche bun with pickles, lettuce and burger sauce, with the sriracha coleslaw on the side. Absolutely yum. I don’t think you lot overhyped it at all! Cheers for the solid recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

gozunda wrote: »
    Right the missus is away at an ICA do. So When I was in town today and picked up a pack of the Chicken Thigh burgers, pickled slaw and some Brioche buns.

In the oven as I speak.

Where's the review?!

Advertisement