Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,672 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ben Done wrote: »
    Where's the review?!

Plus whats the lowdown on cook from frozen v defrosted and cooking times... these burgers need their own thread and twitter hashtag.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I dunno lads I had one at the weekend and didnt find it amazing and this was with spicy salsa,cheese the works.
    I had the other one cold with a salad today and it was grand :pac:

Might try the hot ones just to be sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Thought the heading would get some attention from the Thigh Burger fan boys and girls here of which I'm one :p

My complaint is the bloody packaging. A huge box to hold two thigh burgers, seriously???

I tried out all varieties at a family BBQ at the weekend and they all went down well so I stocked up with 4 packs today but the amount of space required in the freezer drawer is ridiculous, each box must be 80% air!!

Took out an Ikea zip lock bag and got all 8 thigh burgers neatly into it.

Hate loads of unnecessary packaging :mad:

Love thigh burgers though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Sorry to interrupt the chicken burger love in but I had the specially selected shoulder of lamb with red currant and honey glaze. It was absolutely awful. The shoulder was mostly gelatinous fat and the sauce was really sickly sweet. Surprisingly bad and went in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ben Done wrote: »
    Where's the review?!

I was out the back - my apologies :pac:

Right so. I'm usually not let left near the oven as seemingly I've a thing about burning things - usually ...

Knowing this - I was extra careful to get the temperature right. Lovely sized piece of chicken with a nice coating. So far so good.

Put the burger on a tray and into the oven at the correct temperature and time.

Prepared the plate with a brioche bun, slice of cheddar, some dressing and lettuce. Had a beer whilst waiting ;)

Buzzer went. Opened the oven, removed chicken - put bun in for a minute with the cheese (who says I know nothing about cooking!)

Plated it all up and sat down with the nice cold beer.

So verdict is - Very nice indeed, nice crunchy coating and quite spicy I may add (and I like spicey) but I think I made a mistake in two things. I had put the burger flat on a tray and the underside of the burger came out not crispy - cooked but not crispy.

The other thing is - I'm not a big bread or bun fan so if I have it again (I found the brioche to be too soft tbh) I might leave off the bun and have it solo.

I'd certainly give it a 9 out of 10. Handy too.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,376 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You didn't read all the instructions - it says to turn half way through the cooking time!

And I wouldn't have a bun with it either, the breadcrumbs are more than enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sorry to interrupt the chicken burger love in but I had the specially selected shoulder of lamb with red currant and honey glaze. It was absolutely awful. The shoulder was mostly gelatinous fat and the sauce was really sickly sweet. Surprisingly bad and went in the bin.
    All those boxed meats are disgusting and overpriced, the lamb shoulder and beef brisket etc, bordering on dogfood, the meat is such low quality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thargor wrote: »
    All those boxed meats are disgusting and overpriced, the lamb shoulder and beef brisket etc, bordering on dogfood, the meat is such low quality.

Can't remember which one I had but agree, it looked delicious on the box but tasted appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Can't remember which one I had but agree, it looked delicious on the box but tasted appalling.
    Pretty sure thats why they put them all in the black boxes tbh, the plastic bag inside is like something you'd find in a ditch, all the budget was spent on the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had a glass or three of Aldi red wine on Sunday called "Big Gun" and I'll definitely buy it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Is the Zero Point non alcoholic Fizzy "prosecco" gone? I loved that stuff in the Rose and the White.

I've tried a few locations and they don't seem to have it in stock. It was great at gatherings for all the drivers. Nice and refreshing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Kamili wrote: »
    Is the Zero Point non alcoholic Fizzy "prosecco" gone? I loved that stuff in the Rose and the White.

I've tried a few locations and they don't seem to have it in stock. It was great at gatherings for all the drivers. Nice and refreshing too.

Haven’t had that one. Really like the Featherweight wines though, nice to have a glass or two with a little less guilt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

sillysocks wrote: »
    Haven’t had that one. Really like the Featherweight wines though, nice to have a glass or two with a little less guilt!

I'd highly recomend it if you can find it. Got great reviews in the past.

https://www.independent.ie/life/food-drink/wine/refreshing-alternatives-37597268.html
    Zero Point Zero Rosé

€3.99, Aldi

A pretty non-alcoholic sparkling rosé, this comes in an impressive bottle and is packed full of fruity strawberry, raspberry and loganberry flavours. You won't confuse it with alcohol, but great for a toast.

Aldi have changed their Corale Premium Baked Beans. Used to be lovely, horrible now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Dial Hard wrote:
    I'm genuinely surprised at the Aldi buns only being c. 160 cals, I looked at some before (can't remember where, possibly Marks & Sparks) and they were definitely hovering around the 300 mark. As I said, I don't like brioche anyway so it doesn't really affect me.

Was just in Lidl and out of curiosity, checked the calorie count on their brioche buns - 268 each. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭postsnthing

Aldi have changed their Corale Premium Baked Beans. Used to be lovely, horrible now.

Was it a multi pack you bought or single ? Multi pack was always horrible a glossier label
    Please don't tell me they are all the same now !

Was it a multi pack you bought or single ? Multi pack was always horrible a glossier label
    Please don't tell me they are all the same now !

Yep, the single tins in Sligo at least are now the same as the multi packs. Shame.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Had a packet of the Northern Catch frozen cod fillets. In a red box from the freezer section. Obviously.

Really nice, I have to say.

Big chunky pieces of fish and the batter is like a bubbly beer batter style and it goes nice and crispy in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Was just in Lidl and out of curiosity, checked the calorie count on their brioche buns - 268 each. Madness.

I checked M&S recently, 330 cals IIRC.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Forgot to mention - when I was looking for the chicken thigh burgers on Saturday (sorry to drag the topic back to them!) I noticed similar boxes with the same flavours (I think) but with fish burgers. Has anyone tried those? I was going to get them if there were no chicken ones left but then I hit the jackpot :D I might try them another time, would be interested to hear if anyone has had them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

dudara wrote: »
    I checked M&S recently, 330 cals IIRC.

that could be per 100g? seems a lot for 1

tesco are 280g for 4 rolls, so 70g rolls and 216kcal per roll, 309kcal per 100g.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=291744291

I think aldi burger ones are 50g. Aldi hotdog brioche are 45g each (also great) the hotdog ones are 151kcal. So them being so much lighter might account for the difference -they are more calorific than tesco ones per 100g

St.Pierre brand in tesco are 62.5g and 200kcal

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=301971599

A tip I said elsewhere was to cook a beef burger and cut it in 2, then cut the bun in 2 and make a double stacked "half burger" and use the other half bun another day or for someone else, I do not like a lot of bread in my burger.
    20130708-kenosha-drive-ins-star-small-half.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dial Hard wrote: »

Triple checked the Aldi ones just there, and the seeded ones are 160 cals for sure. Another feather in Aldi’s cap, IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

miamee wrote: »
    Forgot to mention - when I was looking for the chicken thigh burgers on Saturday (sorry to drag the topic back to them!) I noticed similar boxes with the same flavours (I think) but with fish burgers. Has anyone tried those? I was going to get them if there were no chicken ones left but then I hit the jackpost :D I might try them another time, would be interested to hear if anyone has had them.

They started stocking these last year, 2 flavours of coating, buttermilk and southern fried. They were gone for a while but back now. We loved them last time. I have a box in the freezer from last week but I haven't tried them yet. Only thing is the box seems a lot smaller this time, it might be just saving on the packaging. Hopefully it's not that the burgers are smaller. But I would definitely recommend them.
    I've also gotten the chicken thigh burgers. On the menu one of the evenings this week.
    I bought the pickled slaw as well. It's gorgeous. Definitely a regular purchase from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Had a tin of these last week and commented how packed with beans and tasty they were. Not the usual budget buy that's full of sauce and maybe 3/4 full of beans. I'll be disappointed if they're changed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,933 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

miamee wrote: »
    Forgot to mention - when I was looking for the chicken thigh burgers on Saturday (sorry to drag the topic back to them!) I noticed similar boxes with the same flavours (I think) but with fish burgers. Has anyone tried those? I was going to get them if there were no chicken ones left but then I hit the jackpost :D I might try them another time, would be interested to hear if anyone has had them.

They're a regular here now , lovely and not skimpy on the fish , quite a "meaty " fish burger I think anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a packet of the Northern Catch frozen cod fillets. In a red box from the freezer section. Obviously.

Really nice, I have to say.

Big chunky pieces of fish and the batter is like a bubbly beer batter style and it goes nice and crispy in the oven.

The Northern Catch haddock is pretty decent too. If you want a really good bubbly batter try the Youngs Fish and Chip shop brand in Dunnes, its the best I've come across for the batter. Its about the only product I buy in Dunnes, I can't stand that supermarket but will divert for the Youngs fish. I think Tesco might have it too. In Dunnes it is usually full price for a month then 30% off for a month, the price constantly yo-yos all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The new sriracha slaw is lovely. Maybe not new but first time I've seen it. Also the frozen paella mix is back now, seems they only have for spring/summer. Its great for a quick dinner for one. The fajita mix is vile though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

The new sriracha slaw is lovely. Maybe not new but first time I've seen it. Also the frozen paella mix is back now, seems they only have for spring/summer. Its great for a quick dinner for one. The fajita mix is vile though

can you please upload a pic of the sriracha slaw thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

bassy wrote: »
    can you please upload a pic of the sriracha slaw thanks.

Here ya go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Here ya go

thanking you :)

Advertisement