Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Dubl07 wrote: »
    From the Tesco thread:

Anyone else tried Aldi's stir in sauces?

Yes, I've tried the hoi-sin and the sweet n sour. Both fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

SteM wrote: »
    Their Ballymore white bloomer bread is lovely imo.

We also tried their spicy bean burgers for a change last week and they were very nice. Never that gone on veggie food.

Are the bean burgers in the freezer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yes, in the freezer section. Can't remember if they're with the vegetables or the burgers though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Does anyone else think the rice in Aldi and Lidy are terrible? Even after washing for ages its still quite stodgy. I bought uncle bens the other day and the difference is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I usually stick (Hah!) with Tilda or something. I had a similar issue with Tesco own brand basmati rice as it was all clumped together even though I'd rinsed it before cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

The basmati rice from both ALDI and Lidl is really good imo

Here's how I do it

Rinse it under cold water to wash off starch, I use a sieve
    Put it into boiling water
    Stir
    Turn heat down to 6 or equivalent
    Let it simmer for 7/8 mins tops
    Pour off water through the sieve
    Pour boiling water over the rice to get rid of remaining starch

It comes out light and fluffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I just buy the green box of brown rice from Lidl and think it's great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

The red box long grain rice from aldi comes out perfect! No mushiness and tastes great.

The lidl one (blue box) has been a complete disaster any time I have gotten it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I usually stick (Hah!) with Tilda or something. I had a similar issue with Tesco own brand basmati rice as it was all clumped together even though I'd rinsed it before cooking.

I'm the same, I'm quite specific with Tilda, its one of the few things where I won't buy own brand.

One tip is to look out for offers in tesco etc and stock up as its regularly reduced, or if there is an Asian shop near you, they typically sell it in big bags and it works out much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I'm the same, I'm quite specific with Tilda, its one of the few things where I won't buy own brand.

One tip is to look out for offers in tesco etc and stock up as its regularly reduced, or if there is an Asian shop near you, they typically sell it in big bags and it works out much cheaper.

I agree I stick with Tilda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I've used Tilda, Aldi and Lidl basmati rice in the past and have noticed no difference when cooking with them.
    Just rinse well and sometimes I often soak the rice first for around 30mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't like Uncle Ben. Tilda would be the rice I usually use. I tried Lidl basmati in Tilda knock off packaging and thought it was good. Aldi's doesn't seem great to me but I would use any of them before Uncle Ben's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Zascar wrote: »
    Does anyone else think the rice in Aldi and Lidy are terrible? Even after washing for ages its still quite stodgy. I bought uncle bens the other day and the difference is amazing

I've bought both the aldi and lidl basmati rice and they're lovely.
    I rinse the rice well under cold water first.
    Then boil in pot of water with a drop of oil.

I have noticed that the rice is ready about 3 minutes before the time stated on the packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Zascar wrote: »

I love Lidl's basmati in maroon packaging. I wouldn't go near uncle bens. My rice-water ratio is always 1:1.5. Perfect all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

the lidl one (blue box) has been a complete disaster any time I have gotten it though

I cook the blue box now in a le creuset (with a lid) in the oven, one cup rice, two cups stock. Comes out almost risottoy. It's so nice I crave it...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Thargor wrote: »
    On my list too thanks, too many sauces and spreads on the go atm :D

Aldi have a new specially selected sourdough loaf sliced in a bag aswell, a nice change from sliced pan. Makes high quality toast in the morning like the kind you get with scrambled eggs in good cafes and its only 95 cent.

Tried this (finally) today..sourdough as I know it, not really. Nice bread (especially when toasted)..yes.

Moser Roth almonds in chocolate and coated with cocoa. I hope they are one of their one off specials because they are way too addictive to be in stock constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

meeeeh wrote: »
    Moser Roth almonds in chocolate and coated with cocoa. I hope they are one of their one off specials because they are way too addictive to be in stock constantly.

Interesting -they sound nice - so are they in the middle sections of Aldi where all the special stuff is?

leahyl wrote: »
    Interesting -they sound nice - so are they in the middle sections of Aldi where all the special stuff is?

Yes my local store has them besides other food specials. They are in round box and called 'Luxury Cocoa Dusted Almonds'. I can't find the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tried their lemon sorbet (one of three varieties) - pretty good, nicely refreshing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Their ice pops are very nice too. They come in orange, cola and blackcurrant & apple flavours

Has anyone noticed they have been out of their tinned chick peas lately? Haven't seen them in a number of stores in weeks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Has anyone noticed they have been out of their tinned chick peas lately? Haven't seen them in a number of stores in weeks :(

Bought some in Sligo the other day, they were mixed in with Butter beans.

prodsc wrote: »
    Bought some in Sligo the other day, they were mixed in with Butter beans.

Damn and I was in sligo at the weekend but we decided not to go to Aldi lol! Can't find them in Dublin at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Their apple strudel is lovely
    It's frozen and you heat it in the oven from frozen.

Also they do a cheesy cauliflower bake.
    It's very very nice.
    It's frozen also.
    My local aldi seems to sell out of it quite quickly so I stock up on it when I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Their ice pops are very nice too. They come in orange, cola and blackcurrant & apple flavours

I second that, delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭amber2

Can Recommend their antipasti grilled peppers in sunflower oil, lovely on a salad this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

And jars of carrots gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Happy to report that the Specially Selected Sourdough bread has arrived in Aldi Tralee :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Plenty in Bray today, but as someone else pointed out they're mixed in with Butter Beans, and as they appear to be more popular you may have to go rooting around to find them amongst the Butter Bean tins.

Advertisement