Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Layinghen wrote: »
    Happy to report that the Specially Selected Sourdough bread has arrived in Aldi Tralee :)

I was looking in the John Joe Sheehy road store only half an hour ago and didn't see it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Strawberry cereal bars seem to be next to impossible to get in Childers Rd Limerick store. A few weeks ago they had five boxes and I bought all of them. Haven't seen them since, it's always the milk ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yes their mitchelstown distribution has finally spread it to all across the south - sourdough that is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I was looking in the John Joe Sheehy road store only half an hour ago and didn't see it :(

That's where I got it. It was on the lower fresh bread shelf, near to the door. Must admit I had passed it and only saw the package out of the corner of my eye, (which I recognised from photo that was put up here).

That's where I got it. It was on the lower fresh bread shelf, near to the door. Must admit I had passed it and only saw the package out of the corner of my eye, (which I recognised from photo that was put up here).

I'll report back in a few hours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I got a sourdough loaf too. I hope it's as good as everyone says! I've only very recently started shopping in aldi so I'm taking in all your suggestions. I also got a spatchcock chicken, that's on tomorrow's menu.
    Oh and whoever was talking about the mashed potato, I seen it there along with mashed carrot as well.

Wasn't there this eve either, but more bread going on the shelf during the night, so will check early in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Wasn't there this eve either, but more bread going on the shelf during the night, so will check early in the morning[/QUOTE

There must be a run on it!!!!!!

Will be popping in myself tomorrow as well to get another loaf so make sure you leave at least one behind:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I love all the dry snacks in ALDI - rice cakes, almonds, hazelnuts, oat cakes, crackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I got a sourdough loaf too. I hope it's as good as everyone says! I've only very recently started shopping in aldi so I'm taking in all your suggestions. I also got a spatchcock chicken, that's on tomorrow's menu.
    Oh and whoever was talking about the mashed potato, I seen it there along with mashed carrot as well.

The mashed potato is o.k. but not a good as the M&S version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The mashed potato is o.k. but not a good as the M&S version.

To balance things out, Aldi gammon steaks are lovely and not pumped full of fishy-smelling water like some other supermarket brands we could mention. I'm looking at you M&S.

Wasn't there this eve either, but more bread going on the shelf during the night, so will check early in the morning[/QUOTE

There must be a run on it!!!!!!

Will be popping in myself tomorrow as well to get another loaf so make sure you leave at least one behind:D

Plenty of them there this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Aldi have potato gratin trays for €1.79.

Very nice and way cheaper then the ones in Dunnes or Aldi.

Also come in other flavors.
    Chili.
    Chorizo with Onion Peppers.

Mine after 30 mins in the oven:

QTgbEAY.jpg
    J9RbhGa.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Yumm, that looks like a nice easy option for midweek!

I also recently tried a new salami that they have in their specially selected range. It has fennel in it and its quite a distinct taste, but really nice all the same.

My OH has decided he's very fond of it, so much so that even though he'd already told me he liked it, he paused the TV in the middle of a programme last night just to reiterate how nice it was and that I should buy it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Here's some other things I buy in Aldi.

Ballymore Thins - 99c.

There's about 4 different types - plain white / seeded / multigrain and I think the other one is wholemeal.
    Usually just have them with ham and cheese - plain or toasted.
    Saves buying a loaf of bread and throwing half of it out.
    Make sure to check the dates on these - the fresher ones are of course nicer.
    These are copy of Pat the Bakers Slimbos which are 1.69 in Tesco.

9VuV6gp.jpg

Gluten Free Buns - €1.79

I don't normally buy gluten free food or cup cakes but I picked these up one day on impulse and have been buying them since.
    Pricey enough at 1.79.
    Again make sure to check the dates.

4mP3xmu.jpg

Take Away Bars €1.49

Nice thick chocolate in the middle

sS7rjS8.jpg

Honey Baked Ham - €1.99

Very nice ham - use it with the thins.

PA46ALW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Those takeaway bars look lovely!

Check out the ice cream freezer section for a box of 6 ice cream cookies. Kind of like icecream Oreos.
    They are lovely!
    A bit dear at around 2.30 I think, but worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Aldi do divine chocolate brownie ice-creams. They are part of the specially selected range, they also have white chocolate and raspberry ones which are scrummy too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

leahyl wrote: »
    Aldi do divine chocolate brownie ice-creams. They are part of the specially selected range, they also have white chocolate and raspberry ones which are scrummy too

I fear this knowledge will be very bad for me :(

:)

Lisha wrote: »
    I fear this knowledge will be very bad for me :(

:)

Don't worry - they are actually not as high in calories as I thought, well, for a treat I mean - I think something like 200 cals for one :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thargor wrote: »
    Over at the steaks they have little pouches of various sauces like pepper and a couple of others for 99 cents each, havent tried them yet but I will be, seems to be new stuff in Aldi every time I go in these days.
    I picked up the pepper and diane ones today and tried the pepper one this evening, thankfully I had the sense to taste it before pouring it on the meat, it was rotten.

Hopefully the Diane sauce is nicer.

I usually make my own but sometimes like to get a ready made one for convenience or if I haven't the stuff in it to make my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

I picked up the pepper and diane ones today and tried the pepper one this evening, thankfully I had the sense to taste it before pouring it on the meat, it was rotten.

Hopefully the Diane sauce is nicer.

I usually make my own but sometimes like to get a ready made one for convenience or if I haven't the stuff in it to make my own.

I tried the pepper one and I liked it.

One mans poison is another mans cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Has anybody tried Aldi's moisturiser and serem. The seaweed one, cant think of the name. I have dry and sensitive skin. Wondering would I be asking for trouble trying it out.

Basil Houmous topped with Pesto....oh dear God....

I got their Moroccan hummus over the weekend - really nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I thought that was yuck. It sounded lovely but the Parmesan on top was horribly overpowering

yellow hen wrote: »
    I thought that was yuck. It sounded lovely but the Parmesan on top was horribly overpowering

I'm afraid we'll have to disagree! I thought it was lush :):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Their mini coconut and cranberry crisp breads. Really addictive even though they're a bit dry!

They have a savoury version also but they're not as nice.

Good to hear the Moroccan hummus is nice Sarah, I have some in the fridge waiting to try :)

Their mini coconut and cranberry crisp breads. Really addictive even though they're a bit dry!

They have a savoury version also but they're not as nice.

Good to hear the Moroccan hummus is nice Sarah, I have some in the fridge waiting to try :)

I've still got half a tub for when I get home from work :)

One note of caution - you'd probably want to like raisins. Which I do but I'm aware it wouldnt be for everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Raisins. Euuuch.!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Has anybody tried Aldi's moisturiser and serem. The seaweed one, cant think of the name. I have dry and sensitive skin. Wondering would I be asking for trouble trying it out.
    I haven't tried that one but their H20 serum is amazing.

It is impossible to find. I've not seen it for months.

Advertisement