Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

They do small version of the frikadellen too, I made a meatball curry a few weeks ago with them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    They do small version of the frikadellen too, I made a meatball curry a few weeks ago with them

They’re great as a pizza topping too!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Just on the burrito bowls, I tried the shredded chicken one today and was even more impressed than I was with the beef one.

Good portion of chicken, lots of veg (corn peppers and spring onion), rice and a side of chilli beans.

My only gripe would be with the side of chilli beans, they should double or even treble it as it helps moisten up the rest of the dish.

Still a good 4/5 from me though, and not bad for 3.50, definitely beats a chicken fillet roll lump of junk.

IMG-20191024-133447-1.jpg

On this I found the beef version too dry, I think they just avoid too much sauce etc to keep it healthy (calories/salt/sugarwise).

Also red cabbage in one of the versions didn't sit right with me being heated in microwave for few minutes tbh, but that's just me.

Happy to see other variants, but still chilli con carne wins.

The chicken one I will do again when in rush. Beef not really as it really felt way to dry.

Had a chicken burrito bowl for lunch, pretty good! After microwaving, I put some of it in a wrap, closed it and popped it in a George Foreman for a couple of minutes.

A bit dry and probably needs more spice, but still tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,525 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Anyone tried the new "county farm" 1kg tub of fat free greek style yogurt - usually go for the authentic style one (€1.69) but tempted to try this - wonder if it is as thick as the protein % is a bit lower

From the produced code have a feeling it might be this one rebadged:
    https://lancashirefarm.com/products/fat-free-greek-style-yogurt/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bought a butterflied lamb shoulder marinated in corriander and mint yesterday, I'm having the outlaws over tomorrow to help me sample it.

Was thinking of going with a simple side salad and some Moroccan style roast potatoes, with some couscous and hummus.

In saying that, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to serve lamb marinated in the above, I'm open to suggestions.

Will report back tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Bought a butterflied lamb shoulder marinated in corriander and mint yesterday, I'm having the outlaws over tomorrow to help me sample it.

Was thinking of going with a simple side salad and some Moroccan style roast potatoes, with some couscous and hummus.

In saying that, if anyone has any suggestions as to what to serve lamb marinated in the above, I'm open to suggestions.

I'd do some roast potatoes. Parboil the spuds, into a roasting tray with some melted butter and give them a good shake, sprinkle with rosemary and thyme and roast till crispy.
    A roast, for me anyway, isn't complete without the roasties. Marris Piper are lovely from the oven.

For something different try some potato skins. Oil some big roosters and roast for 30/40 mins till soft. Cut in half and scoop out the potato and mix with a little cheese, finely chopped spring onion, rosemary and thyme. Put back into the skins and cook for 20 mins in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone tried the new "county farm" 1kg tub of fat free greek style yogurt - usually go for the authentic style one (€1.69) but tempted to try this - wonder if it is as thick as the protein % is a bit lower

From the produced code have a feeling it might be this one rebadged:
    https://lancashirefarm.com/products/fat-free-greek-style-yogurt/

I have yeah its tasty but its really thick and gloopy

.red. wrote: »
    I'd do some roast potatoes. Parboil the spuds, into a roasting tray with some melted butter and give them a good shake, sprinkle with rosemary and thyme and roast till crispy.
    A roast, for me anyway, isn't complete without the roasties. Marris Piper are lovely from the oven.

For something different try some potato skins. Oil some big roosters and roast for 30/40 mins till soft. Cut in half and scoop out the potato and mix with a little cheese, finely chopped spring onion, rosemary and thyme. Put back into the skins and cook for 20 mins in the oven.

Sounds good red, my only concern would be if corriander and mint marinated lamb would pair up well with more traditional style roast spuds etc, which is why I'm debating going down the Moroccan spuds.

Sometimes I just think I should make herself cook. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Just on the burrito bowls, I tried the shredded chicken one today and was even more impressed than I was with the beef one.

Good portion of chicken, lots of veg (corn peppers and spring onion), rice and a side of chilli beans.

My only gripe would be with the side of chilli beans, they should double or even treble it as it helps moisten up the rest of the dish.

Still a good 4/5 from me though, and not bad for 3.50, definitely beats a chicken fillet roll lump of junk.

3cHEtra.jpg

Was going to buy one of these but no info on where the chicken / beef if from, says Made in Ireland on the packet.

If it was Irish, it would have been proudly displayed.
    Whatever about chicken you'd expect them to use Irish beef if made in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Got a bit excited when saw those, I love burrito bowls and have found the Nutriquick stuff really good but when I actually looked at it I put it back on the shelf, it looked so dry and the meat looked absolutely disgusting, no sauce/guacamole either. Might have a go at making my own instead.

Lads and ladies, I can 110% recommend the butterflied lamb shoulder marinated in corriander and mint.

Cooked in the oven for 3hours @ 140. Loosely covered with tinfoil, it was an absolutely delicious bit of meat, melted in the mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I do NOT recommend the almond mince pies. They could be called mince tartlets, not 100% sure.
    They're horrible, really dry and hard and tasteless.

The chocolate cherry ones are nice though.

Has anyone had the salted caramel ones at all? Should I give them a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

I do NOT recommend the almond mince pies. They could be called mince tartlets, not 100% sure.
    They're horrible, really dry and hard and tasteless.

The chocolate cherry ones are nice though.

Has anyone had the salted caramel ones at all? Should I give them a try?

I've savaged 5 out of the 6 salted caramel ones. Better with a cuppa though, they're a little dry. Not a massive salted caramel flavour, but I've never met a mince pie I didn't like.

Recliner wrote: »
    I've savaged 5 out of the 6 salted caramel ones. Better with a cuppa though, they're a little dry. Not a massive salted caramel flavour, but I've never met a mince pie I didn't like.

I'll have to give them a bash so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Lads and ladies, I can 110% recommend the butterflied lamb shoulder marinated in corriander and mint.

Cooked in the oven for 3hours @ 140. Loosely covered with tinfoil, it was an absolutely delicious bit of meat, melted in the mouth.

Anything marinated in coriander is the work of the devil!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Cans of wd40 last week with the smart straw 2 euro.small enough can but it’s as handy as a small p1ss pot to have around the place.im going back for more if any left

• Registered Users Posts: 17,948 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Cans of wd40 last week with the smart straw 2 euro.small enough can but it’s as handy as a small p1ss pot to have around the place.im going back for more if any left
    Sounds delicious.

I bought a baby potato salad with bacon tub there this evening, was thinking it was just going to be potato salad with a bit of bacon in it but it was disgusting, raw potato cubes with about 3 pieces of bacon in some tasteless white paste, avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thargor wrote: »
    Sounds delicious.

I bought a baby potato salad with bacon tub there this evening, was thinking it was just going to be potato salad with a bit of bacon in it but it was disgusting, raw potato cubes with about 3 pieces of bacon in some tasteless white paste, avoid.
    I think I've had that before, and would have to agree, it went in the bin straight away.

I made the mistake of going shopping while starving yesterday, and would have happily bought then entire shop - but came home with some steak and horseradish pies, and vintage cheddar and spinach wellingtons from the freezer (both Sp Selected range) - and having tried one of each, I must say I approve!

I was kind of afraid of the steak pies as they were so cheap (1.99 I think) but actually there was plenty of meat and it was lovely and soft, not a chewy/gristly bit in it. And a nice tang off the horseradish.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Had one of those rectangle shaped flat bread pizza's last week.
    New in the freezer and at €1,99 not bad at all. Had the pulled pork bbq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Bought their 4% fat lean pork mince and made Yuk Sung with it last night.

Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Picked up the Garlic & Rosemary version earlier, will be having it this evening.

I highly recommend the hot Polish man in my local Aldi, but sadly don't think he's a weekly special! That and the fact that Mr Crumble might object, although he has a bit of a gra himself for the stunning looking Latvian lady in the local Lidl so can't say too much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

I can also recommend the other flavour, rosemary and lemon? I can't actually recall but on a number of occasions I've purchased both and cooked them together. One gets used for the immediate (usually Sunday) dinner and the other is left to cool, pulled apart and left in the fridge for sandwiches, stir fries and omelettes during the week.

Really good quality and really good value.

As an overall comment I think Aldi are trying hard to get their "Value Add" range right and actually add some value for their customers.

Being able to buy and more or less immediately cook a quality joint of meat that has been marinading in a decent flavour for at least 24/48 hours without it costing a lot more than the joint would cost in it's raw state is a very good deal. It saves a bit of time and hassle (not much in fairness) and is really convenient without compromising on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,661 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Lamb shoulder sounds interesting - haven't copped it in my store - are they frozen or fresh, what price \ size are we talking about?
    Thanks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I highly recommend the hot Polish man in my local Aldi, but sadly don't think he's a weekly special! That and the fact that Mr Crumble might object, although he has a bit of a gra himself for the stunning looking Latvian lady in the local Lidl so can't say too much :D

Hmm, is that the hot Polish man in the normal range or the Specially Selected? I think you should put up a picture for us so we can tell... :D

As a (richer) alternative to Barm Brack, the whiskey fruit cake is savage with loads of butter and a big mug of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Those gourmet sausage rolls that were mentioned a while back are gorgeous!

Well, the black pudding/jalapeno ones are anyway - I got literally the last ones of those, and there were none of the other variety on the shelf - clearly they're popular!

A slight bit more filling-to-pastry ratio than would be perfect for me - but seriously tasty.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Hmm, is that the hot Polish man in the normal range or the Specially Selected? I think you should put up a picture for us so we can tell... :D

Oh VERY specially selected I'd say :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

maudgonner wrote: »

As a (richer) alternative to Barm Brack, the whiskey fruit cake is savage with loads of butter and a big mug of tea.

:D

That fruit cake sounds tasty too, must try :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Lamb shoulder sounds interesting - haven't copped it in my store - are they frozen or fresh, what price \ size are we talking about?
    Thanks.

They are fresh and in my Aldi (Sandyford) they are located in the meat special fridge i.e. where they have the weekly offers on meat.

IIRC they are circa 1kg and about €10 or so. They are filleted and marinaded so easy to to cook.

Advertisement