Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

The no beef burgers are remarkably good. They've been gone from the store in Letterkenny for a while now, I must check if they're back.
    Also recommend the no sausage rolls from the freezer.

Second the vegan sausage rolls from the freezer. Really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

vicwatson wrote: »
    Price are these? Are they “specially selected”? Tks

e1.99 for 2-pack. Very nice. They had steak & merlot before, maybe a year ago, not seen since but also great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Called into Aldi on the Belgard Road on the way home, and managed to get jars of both the korma and butter chicken specially selected sauces, if anyone is looking for them. I couldn't see all the way back, but they definitely had a few korma left.

I got the specially selected brioche burger buns as well, (unseeded) with the black wrapper, so they are still around, and I picked up the steak and ale pies from the freezer to try, also specially selected.

Update: the steak and ale pies were very nice. Not as good as M&S steak pies, but a close second. I would buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They've now got those little 150ml cans of tonic water in stock at a fraction of the price of Schweppes.

I swear Aldi follow me round Tesco to see what to stock next. If they enlarge their herb/spice range, I'll never have to go to a Tesco again! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Bought the Animus Vinho Verde today. Didn't like it. Too dry and too much of an aftertaste for me.
    Himself liked it, but he's a fan of drier wines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

They've now got those little 150ml cans of tonic water in stock at a fraction of the price of Schweppes.

I swear Aldi follow me round Tesco to see what to stock next. If they enlarge their herb/spice range, I'll never have to go to a Tesco again! :D

I wasn’t a fan of their knock off fever tree tonics, are these better?

SozBbz wrote: »
    I wasn’t a fan of their knock off fever tree tonics, are these better?

Well they’re labelled Fever Tree so maybe not! :(

Oops, actually looked at them and they’re labelled Ridge Valley so you may be in luck! :)

Oops, actually looked at them and they’re labelled Ridge Valley so you may be in luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Big queues outside my local aldi as I drove past this morning, I think I’ve said it before here but I hope whoever came up with Kevin the Carrot got a huge bonus that year :) All the merchandise gone on sale today.

• Advertisement

Ridge Valley are their Fever Tree dupes - they've previously had them in glass bottles similar to FT origional packaging. Then FT started doing cans, so it appears Aldi now do cans :) This is Aldi yet again sailing so close to the copycat wind that I wonder how they get away with it!

I like the light version of the FT, but I found the aldi version of same had a strong taste of artificial sweetener, so I've kept forking out for the real deal (or even schewps). This was probably a year ago or more so would be interested to know if they've improved their recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

That's the Fever tree knockoff.
    I quite like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I like Ridge Valley, too. Tastes much better than Schweppes and is much cheaper. Fever Tree is better, but very pricey.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Last Christmas they had a 3 pack of little jars of chutney/relish for cheese. There was a chipotle chilli flavour one that was amazing. I see in the latest leaflet that they're doing bigger individual jars of it this year. Haven't seen it in the shop yet, but I'll be stocking up on it when I do.

Last Christmas they had a 3 pack of little jars of chutney/relish for cheese. There was a chipotle chilli flavour one that was amazing. I see in the latest leaflet that they're doing bigger individual jars of it this year. Haven't seen it in the shop yet, but I'll be stocking up on it when I do.

OOoh that sounds right up my OH's street - he loves anything with chilli. Must look out for it. Let us know if you see it in stores!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

If they would only start doing Tofu, and Mocha (Nesle I believe is the brand herself drinks) I'd be sorted for a one stop shop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Would you mind complaining aloud about the lack of ras el hanout then, because I can't find it anywhere ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

In store Sunday 1st...both the 3pk and the bigger jars.

Do Aldi sell venison in any of their stores anymore?

I remember I used to get it randomly in one particular local one but haven't seen it for yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I remember I used to get it randomly in one particular local one but haven't seen it for yonks.

It's too early in the hunting season for it, generally doesn't come in til early Jan. Lidl have frozen British venison steaks at the moment.

• Advertisement

But Ras el hanout and Tofu are not on my regular shopping list! :p

However, I see 240 litre bin bags are now being stocked. They're watching me, I swear! :D

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's too early in the hunting season for it, generally doesn't come in til early Jan. Lidl have frozen British venison steaks at the moment.

Ahhhh. Sound job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Slightly OT but I was in New Zealand for the last few weeks and apart from millions of sheep, I saw field upon field full of red deer being farmed for venison. No idea where it all goes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Saw fresh venison steak in my local Aldi today and they are advertising a venison roast in their Christmas brochure, due to go on sale on the 20th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They had venison steaks in our local Aldi today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I think you're in luck!
    LL8CQc4.png

The big one is called 'jam' while the little one is 'chutney' but I had a quick look and the ingredient list looked about the same :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

B0jangles wrote: »
    I think you're in luck! The big one is called 'jam' while the little one is 'chutney' but I had a quick look and the ingredient list looked about the same :)

Excellent!

It's not that spicy if I remember correctly, just in case anyone who didn't try it last year is expecting a good kick off it. Still delicious though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We had the gourmet sausage rolls with the red pepper relish on Sunday. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I tried the Specially Selected Chicken, Ham Hock and Leek pies after the success with the Steak and Ale pies last week.

Very tasty. I will definitely be buying both of these again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok, so need to get chicken and leek pies, steak and ale pies and gourmet sausage rolls after reading the last few pages of this thread :D

Advertisement