Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

B0jangles wrote: »
    The standard 4.99 holly Lane one is an absolutely excellent classic-style Christmas pudding.

On ch5 last night, Christmas at Aldi, about there foods/products at Christmas, the Christmas pudding was put up against a well know and more expensive Christmas pudding, the Aldi pudding came top.
    ch5 in the evening are doing alot of programmes to do with Christmas, night before was best Christmas TV but it was on for 3hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

harr wrote: »
    Ok thanks , will pick up a couple at weekend .I am the only one here that likes Christmas pudding .

No problem :) we used to make a couple of puddings every year but it got to the stage when only one or two people were eating any so we said we'd give the aldi one a whirl - just so's we'd have something to hand if anyone wanted a bit of pud. Turned out to be nicer than the homemade ones :o
    Also, the dinky little ones they have are the same recipe so it might be worth buying one just to try out before you get the full-sized one?
    SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    On ch5 last night, Christmas at Aldi, about there foods/products at Christmas, the Christmas pudding was put up against a well know and more expensive Christmas pudding, the Aldi pudding came top.
    ch5 in the evening are doing alot of programmes to do with Christmas, night before was best Christmas TV but it was on for 3hours!
    I'm not surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

54and56 wrote: »
    €19.99, picked one up this evening. Not sure when I'll cook it though.

Is the spiral cut ham not already cooked??

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It has to be cooked before they can cut it like that.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Is the spiral cut ham not already cooked??

Yes, you're right, it has already been cooked but it needs to be baked for an hour with the glaze applied before you eat it, That's what I meant (but didn't say) by cooking it :o

• Advertisement

Yes, you're right, it has already been cooked but it needs to be baked for an hour with the glaze applied before you eat it, That's what I meant (but didn't say) by cooking it :o

I get ya, now.

I get ya, now.

Given your username, are you aware that https://www.brewdog.com/uk/bars/global/outpostdublin opened it's doors at 12 noon today? Looking forward to visiting over Xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Given your username, are you aware that https://www.brewdog.com/uk/bars/global/outpostdublin opened it's doors at 12 noon today? Looking forward to visiting over Xmas.

Don't go on a day that ends with a "y" as they seem to shut those days.

Screenshot-2019-12-13-14-33-15-680-com-android-chrome.jpg

Wouldn't be travelling to Dublin just to visit a new bar, really.
    I'm not a huge fan of their bars, anyway.

Don't go on a day that ends with a "y" as they seem to shut those days.

Screenshot-2019-12-13-14-33-15-680-com-android-chrome.jpg

That'll be changing fairly soon:-

https://twitter.com/BrewDogopdublin/status/1205444763287207936

Now back to Aldi related discussion.

Do Aldi ever sell Brewdog Punk IPA? It's one of my favourites :D

• Advertisement

Yay, they're back!

20191215-100117-600x1067.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

D wrote: »
    Yay, they're back!

20191215-100117-600x1067.jpg

Woo!!

Is that the only variety?
    Looks like they've mixed so 6 prawn and 6 veg per pack?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The extra mature cheddar truckles are amazing - we got the caramelised onion one. They're €4.99 but they're huge.

Cheese.jpg

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Woo!!

That's all I could find. Will try them out later for, eh, research purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

The extra mature cheddar truckles are amazing - we got the caramelised onion one. They're €4.99 but they're huge.

Cheese.jpg

I saw one yesterday that was Wensleydale with white chocolate and prosecco. Yes, really!

I couldn't make my mind up whether it sounded fabulous or disgusting so didn't buy, but if anyone has, update me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I got the Wensleydale with rhubarb & ginger & it's lovely. Seen the one mentioned with prosecco & also couldn't bring myself to try it. Was tempted by the truckles so must try one now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I saw one yesterday that was Wensleydale with white chocolate and prosecco. Yes, really!

I couldn't make my mind up whether it sounded fabulous or disgusting so didn't buy, but if anyone has, update me please :)

I wouldn’t go near it, anything I’ve bought with prosecco in it except obviously the drink itself was absolutely disgusting. You would prob take one bite and dump the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Woo!!

Had these yesterday and they were fab and yes 6 prawn and 6 veg

Woo!!

They're good, the consensus in our house is that the prawn ones are tastier. Can be frozen too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

prawn tempuras are amazing snack, think 12 in a box but with some chips nice chilly mayo sauce goes well, and takes minutes to prepare, not cheapest option but still for those loving prawns crab its nice snack or part of the meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Aldi have a fabulous vanilla custard in stock at the moment. It would be lovely poured over pudding or porter cake or you could just drink it, it is good.
    https://www.aldi.ie/madagascan-vanilla-custard/p/087244266879000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    The Moser Roth White chocolate is absolutely divine. I wouldn’t usually choose white chocolate but this is knock out. So creamy 😋

Is it the madagascan vanilla one??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

An offer too good to refuse,so I bought 2 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Hahaha very good - has to be a mistake surely?!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They are €8 in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭Worztron

Harvest Morn Malted Wheaties - they're just like Shreddies. I put them in the microwave with sweetened soymilk for a few minutes. Lovely!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

leahyl wrote: »
    Hahaha very good - has to be a mistake surely?!

Shows the intelligence of the person who put it there,or their manager if it was brought to his/her attention.
    Still cost a tenner with the rounding up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

harr wrote: »
    Had these yesterday and they were fab and yes 6 prawn and 6 veg

Just got the last 2 packs!

What's the best way to cook?
    Steamer is broken.
    Will colander over pot of water do?

Just got the last 2 packs!

What's the best way to cook?
    Steamer is broken.
    Will colander over pot of water do?

Pop a pot of water on to boil, with a colander on top. Put baking paper in the colander. Add gyozas and then pop a saucepan lid on top. Takes 5-7 minutes as per the instructions on the pack.

I just did 6 gyozas in the colander as we wouldn't fit 12 in ours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

LOL...

I remember they did same with beers last year down from 20 to 19.99

What an offer :)

Advertisement