Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Shows the intelligence of the person who put it there,or their manager if it was brought to his/her attention.
    Still cost a tenner with the rounding up :)

Their prices are controlled centrally. So shows the intelligence of the person who issued the discounted price.

The staff has to put it there regardless of what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Had the new mushroom arrachini this evening, think they’re the Christmas party food range. Nice and tasty, quite strong mushroom taste which is good!
    Also the cauliflower sausages (not sure if they’re new). Think they were masala flavour but quite tasty too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The new (?) pita breads look nice (Ballymore crust). Got some fresh looking tenderstem broccoli too for 39c.

Funny issue with my receipt... Two items were charged twice, and two others not charged at all. (Elysian tower, Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Bought a pack of pick gin chocolates which I do not recommend. They’re not actively bad, just slightly weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

harr wrote: »
    Had these yesterday and they were fab and yes 6 prawn and 6 veg

Had these tonight. Loved the dip and the prawn filling but the skins/wrappers were way too thick and doughy for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

2013Lara wrote: »
    Is it the madagascan vanilla one??

Yes. It’s divine. It’s split into 5 bars thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Where are you finding the prawn gyozas? I checked both frozen and fresh seafood sections and couldnt find them. Now that I think of it I couldnt find them last year either, my store might be one that doesnt get a full stock selection due to size.

I tried the Belgian Chocolate eclairs in the freezer and they're decent. 12 bite sized eclairs for 1.25, bit of a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where are you finding the prawn gyozas? I checked both frozen and fresh seafood sections and couldnt find them. Now that I think of it I couldnt find them last year either, my store might be one that doesnt get a full stock selection due to size.

My store had it with the selection of party foods brought in for Christmas.
    Usually a fridge section that was used for ready meals previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,351 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Just got the last 2 packs!

What's the best way to cook?
    Steamer is broken.
    Will colander over pot of water do?

Gyoza should be cooked on a frying pan with a lid. Small bit of sesame oil on bottom, v hot. Fry gyoza until well coloured & crispy on bottom side (2-3 mins) then pop in 1/4 cup of water plus lid on for them to steam in that juice, again at high temp. That way you get the pan fried bottom and steamed top. The essence of a gyoza.

Had some lamb rump steak with a mushroom, wild garlic and herb crust this evening. Really tasty! Comes in a black box.

Was something like €6.50 for two of the steaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Bought the boned stuffed duck in a box...............straight to the bin inedible grizzle and fat with a stuffing centre.....will be looking for refund tomorrow.....I love duck very disappointed....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

downwesht wrote: »
    Bought the boned stuffed duck in a box...............straight to the bin inedible grizzle and fat with a stuffing centre.....will be looking for refund tomorrow.....I love duck very disappointed....

You might want to take it back out of the bin so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

Cannot wait to try this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Marcusm wrote: »
    Gyoza should be cooked on a frying pan with a lid. Small bit of sesame oil on bottom, v hot. Fry gyoza until well coloured & crispy on bottom side (2-3 mins) then pop in 1/4 cup of water plus lid on for them to steam in that juice, again at high temp. That way you get the pan fried bottom and steamed top. The essence of a gyoza.

Thanks so much for this. Cooked as per your recommendation and they were smashing. Wouldn't have been half as nice just steamed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

downwesht wrote: »
    Ive said it multiple times before, those black boxes whether its lamb stew, beef or chicken or pork... Its all dogfood. They put it in the boxes so you dont see what it looks like which would be fine if it tasted okay but its the worst of the worst, all the budget goes into the packaging to trick you into buying it, the product itelf is always shocking.

Thargor wrote: »
    Ive said it multiple times before, those black boxes whether its lamb stew, beef or chicken or pork... Its all dogfood. They put it in the boxes so you dont see what it looks like which would be fine if it tasted okay but its the worst of the worst, all the budget goes into the packaging to trick you into buying it, the product itelf is always shocking.

I agree with you ref most of those type of products but I quite liked the boned and marinated lamb shoulders which are about €11.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

We tried their mini beef Wellington's last night and I was very impressed. It's part of their fresh party food range. The trio of conservs/jams were lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

ilovetorun wrote: »
    We tried their mini beef Wellington's last night and I was very impressed. It's part of their fresh party food range. The trio of conservs/jams were lovely too

Aw we really didn't like them, maybe we just got a bad box. Loved the mini vol au vents though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Mexican sliders are crap.

Don't recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

McMurphy wrote: »

Don't recommend them.
    ah feck, just bought a pack, thought they sounded great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

McMurphy wrote: »

Don't recommend them.
    Update to above - I've just scoffed a couple of these.

While they're not the best of haute cuisine, or the best sliders I've ever had, I thought they were very tasty indeed and I'm looking forward to the rest of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the specially selected Thai inspired vegetable burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Having the Aldi specially selected baking Camembert with Winter Spice Glaze.

Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

anewme wrote: »

Yum.
    Ditto, just finished it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Alun wrote: »
    Ditto, just finished it :D

I had to put it down as theres just me.

Only stirred in half the flavouring in case was too sweet.

Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I got their fresh cranberry sauce in the tub in the fridge and I have to say it was a game changer. Streets ahead of my own homemade sauce and any jars I’ve tasted. Hope they do it again next year. Was raging I didn’t get two because I didn’t have enough for all the sandwiches!

anewme wrote: »

Yum.

Have one in the fridge, looking forward to it.

Have enjoyed the other baked cheeses they've had recently with Chorizo, Jalapenos etc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Ralphyroo

Got the smoked salmon mousse party food, really enjoyed them, great lemon flavour

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just had some of the spiced mature red leicester cheese on some rosemary crackers, yum

Does anyones Aldi discount expensive pieces of meat post Christmas? Had hoped for a bargain on a leg or lamb or a prime rib but there was nothing there. I wonder what they do with them as I doubt they sell them all, at least not in my store where there was lots of legs of lamb left on Christmas eve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just had some of the spiced mature red leicester cheese on some rosemary crackers, yum

Does anyones Aldi discount expensive pieces of meat post Christmas? Had hoped for a bargain on a leg or lamb or a prime rib but there was nothing there. I wonder what they do with them as I doubt they sell them all, at least not in my store where there was lots of legs of lamb left on Christmas eve.

Aldi made a point of saying that all their unsold, date sensitive food would be available free for charities to collect on Christmas Eve.

Advertisement