Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I have another thing to add to my list with Aldi disappointments: The vegan sausage rolls. I really like the ones from Applegreen and Londis, but these are once again bland and the pastry has a weird texture. Will bin the rest, not worth the calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Not sure if its been mentioned below but the stuffed mushrooms are lovely. They’re in the chilled food section. Have only had the sun dried tomato and spinach ones but very tasty for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Had the GOSH veggie cocktail sausages from the chilled section yesterday. No need for heating.
    They were lovely in a sandwich with cheese and lettuce.
    €1.99 but I'll get 4/5 sandwiches out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

sillysocks wrote: »
    Not sure if its been mentioned below but the stuffed mushrooms are lovely. They’re in the chilled food section. Have only had the sun dried tomato and spinach ones but very tasty for lunch.
    Just had the ham and leek ones, wasn't particularly impressed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Aldi Spice Box from the Chiller Section. It had two goujons, chips, a couple of poppin chicken, a scatter of diced pepper and a small curry dip and sachet of seasoning.

Threw it into the airfryer. Twas grand nothing to write home about. Was very spicy for me.

repeated on me for about a fortnight

wont be going back for more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

akelly02 wrote: »
    repeated on me for about a fortnight

wont be going back for more

Suffering here today too and when I think of it the ingredients list was as long as my arm for 100% chicken fillet and chips Mx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Suffering here today too and when I think of it the ingredients list was as long as my arm for 100% chicken fillet and chips Mx

Better off making your own version using the Spice Bag Mix Aldi actually sells - https://www.facebook.com/pg/funkymonkeyfood/posts/

I made one recently using air fryer made proper chips (peeled spuds etc) and chicken breast per the spice mix recipe (very easy) and the family scoffed it down without any latent issues next day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

"The Deli" ready cooked smoked crispy bacon, which is in the section with the cold meats.

Lovely in a chicken and bacon pasta salad, or added to a burger or sandwich. I've gone through a whole packet this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Large cottage pie (serves 3) not bad at all for 4.50. Contains carrots... and peas, which was somewhat unexpected but fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Anyone tried these specially selected Mature Cheddar cheese bake yet ?
    I've bought a Jalapeno & Spring Onion flavoured one
    They come in a little ceramic dish which I later plan to use as a puddle catch for a flower pot lol
    Cook them in the oven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

LenWoods wrote: »
    They come in a little ceramic dish which I later plan to use as a puddle catch for a flower pot lol
    Cook them in the oven

I posted about them about two pages up the thread.

I had the cheddar and cider one with a crispy roll.

They are addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

anewme wrote: »
    I posted about them about two pages up the thread.

I had the cheddar and cider one with a crispy roll.

They are addictive.

Thanks,
    Might have to start clay pigeon shooting if I end up gathering too many ceramic dishes :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Cook them in the oven

My favourite find of this 2019. My only worry is it's a seasonal Christmas only item

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Damn... I must be going to the wrong Aldi.
    Just usually get pita breads and coffee lol!

Seriously, those things sound delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Thanks,
    Might have to start clay pigeon shooting if I end up gathering too many ceramic dishes :D
    They are very handy, as are the little Le Parfait preserving jars the pate came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Damn... I must be going to the wrong Aldi.
    Just usually get pita breads and coffee lol!

Seriously, those things sound delicious.

I'm really sorry I discovered them, well my waistline is, so I'm trying to undiscover them.

Lidl has them too. I got fig and blue cheese. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A couple of nice things I have tried lately -

The Spanish specially selected spicy chorizo sausage. It is really good, add to a dish or eat on its own.

The serrano ham is also lovely on a cracker with some cheese. The Parma ham is also good.

Aldi don't seem to stock gruyere cheese. The one in tesco is gorgeous. A lovely hard cheese, lovely with the above.

We just had a Specially Selected Maple Bacon and Taw Valley Cheddar Quiche and it was delicious.

Especially as I added a little extra The Deli smoked crispy bacon on top. (see previous post).

I will definitely be buying more quiches.

PQUYrN6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

AulWan wrote: »
    We just had a Specially Selected Maple Bacon and Taw Valley Cheddar Quiche and it was delicious.

Especially as I added a little extra The Deli smoked crispy bacon on top. (see previous post).

PQUYrN6.jpg

No Use By date?

Or is it on the back somewhere?

wonski wrote: »
    No Use By date?

Or is it on the back somewhere?

You have sharp eyes! I blanked it out because I copied an old picture I got online. Didn't want anyone thinking I was eating out of date egg products.

I bought it last Monday, the use by date on it was 21 January !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

PQUYrN6.jpg

Is that Deli smoked bacon uncooked? and comes in smoked and unsmoked and comes in 2 "portions" ? That's the only one I could find, cant get a picture. Actually the one I saw was "Pancetta" is that what you mean?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is that Deli smoked bacon uncooked? and comes in smoked and unsmoked and comes in 2 "portions" ? That's the only one I could find, cant get a picture. Actually the one I saw was "Pancetta" is that what you mean?

No it's cooked already, and its definitely not pancetta. I have some at home so I'll post a picture this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

No it's cooked already, and its definitely not pancetta. I have some at home so I'll post a picture this evening.

Thanks. I couldn't find it either

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I know it's not food, but I've spotted biodegradable baby wipes for just 10c extra.
    (Normal wipes have plastic in them).
    Well worth making the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

them chicken thigh burgers are better than youd get in burger king!! unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Must admit I didn't like the thigh burgers at first in a bun but if you chop them up and drop them in a bowl of salad its spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

PQUYrN6.jpg

They used to be so much nicer but they did an improved recipe.

Now all the bacon has that white fatty glaze over it.

I found the bacon on mine was perfectly fine, and I added more. ;)

As promised above,

AYzReCW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

As promised above,

Have been looking for that in two local Aldis. No luck :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

As promised above,

AYzReCW.jpg

Ooh, I've been getting something similar from M&S for years. Do they do the non smoked in Aldi?

Advertisement