Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bought a car jack there this morning for €24.99, looks like a fairly decent one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Bought a car jack there this morning for €24.99, looks like a fairly decent one.

Long slow cooking required and a decent wine to bring out the flavour. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,865 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The bake at home wholemeal rolls are great for the store cupboard... especially with storms and illnesses at this time of year if you may not get to the shops.

You get that warm break apart in your hands bread hit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,865 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Ardennes pate is lovely, more rustic than the usual fare and comes in a handy tub.
    But don't eat for supper unless you're doing a dream study, not sure what the trigger is !

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Long slow cooking required and a decent wine to bring out the flavour. :D

It made a grand Sunday dinner all right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

These lads are only absolutely savage.

IMG-20200218-191443.jpg

Quite possibly the nicest chocolate biscuit they sell. Very easy to eat a whole pack in one sitting.

Apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

^ I kept reading that as Chocolate Enro-bed & was wondering what this new fancy type of biscuit was!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

^ I kept reading that as Chocolate Enro-bed & was wondering what this new fancy type of biscuit was!

Omg me too! But worse, I saw you comment and still didn’t get it, until I read it over and over, ffs duh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

The Aldi Ballyvourney black and white pudding is superb. About €1.69 each, dear compared to their own brand, but this is possibly the best pudding I have ever tasted, surpassing Clonakilty by a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Had one of the "no chicken" burgers last night, not good. The vegan "plant menu" sausage rolls on the other hand very nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Had one of the "no chicken" burgers last night, not good. The vegan "plant menu" sausage rolls on the other hand very nice.

Good to know, their frozen vegan meals seems to have really expanded but was waiting to see what people thought was worth buying or not

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I thought the vegan sausage rolls were crap tbh, the ones you get in Londis or Applegreen are far nicer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,683 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had a bar of their Dairy Milk imitation 'Dairyfine' for the first time in a couple of years. Have they changed the recipe? It was awful stuff and far from what it used to be, it tasted of raw flour to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Small sachets of peppercorn sauce for 89c are delicious, great over a steak

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

The smoked paprika meatballs are delish and very handy dinner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

yogibear77 wrote: »
    The smoked paprika meatballs are delish and very handy dinner

have you a picture ?

No sorry had them last night, they have been in with the super 6 meats for the last few weeks in my local aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Ryath

Just had these pizza base's Looks like they were in last year on the trial for Irish producers, missed them then hopefully they're back permanently. Were quite good passata, chorizo and some mozzerella really quick emergency dinner. Would like if they were a little bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

AulWan wrote: »
    I found the bacon on mine was perfectly fine, and I added more. ;)

As promised above,

AYzReCW.jpg

Has anybody seen these in stock? I've been looking for them for the last few weeks and there's no sign of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anybody seen these in stock? I've been looking for them for the last few weeks and there's no sign of them.

No sign of them in any Aldi store in Galway City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Ryath

They're not with the bacon and rashers, they're in the ready lunch, sambo's and salad fridge. Pretty sure I saw them last week. Haven't tried them yet, buying the streaky rashers is much better value!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,753 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No sign of them in any Aldi store in Galway City.

I've tried places in Cork and there's no sign of them!
    Ryath wrote: »
    They're not with the bacon and rashers, they're in the ready lunch, sambo's and salad fridge. Pretty sure I saw them last week. Haven't tried them yet, buying the streaky rashers is much better value!

I tried there as well but had no look staff didn't seem to have a clue about them.
    I get similar at a deli counter. One place is good value and the other is very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭.red.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Small sachets of peppercorn sauce for 89c are delicious, great over a steak

We thought it was awful, very strange aftertaste from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Yes, they are with the cold meat - beside the turkey breast slices in my Aldi (top shelf)

Just had these pizza base's Looks like they were in last year on the trial for Irish producers, missed them then hopefully they're back permanently. Were quite good passata, chorizo and some mozzerella really quick emergency dinner. Would like if they were a little bigger.

The first time I got these the were lovely, second time they were awful. The centre was rolled to thin so it disintegrated when I cut it and the edge was so thick I didn't even after I left it in longer than stated, was still raw

McMurphy wrote: »
    These lads are only absolutely savage.

IMG-20200218-191443.jpg

Quite possibly the nicest chocolate biscuit they sell. Very easy to eat a whole pack in one sitting.

Apparently.

Got these a few days back and they are pretty savage. But thought that only 6 in a packet for 1.99 was a bit scabby. Know what you mean by it being easy to eat a full pack in one sitting :o

In my Aldi theyve done a switcheroo on the location of that smokey bacon, it used to be on the lunch shelves beside the sambos and salads for the first few weeks. Now its been moved to the top left corner of the store, its roughly between the end of the cold meats and the start of the cheeses.

Havent bought it myself as I like their smokey streaky bacon and it is only 99c for double the quantity. Give that a brush with some maple syrup and a spinkle of brown sugar and 5-6 minutes in the airfryer and you've got delicious crispy candied bacon. Sriacha also works very well instead of maple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Both stores I got them in had them with the cold cooked meats.

My latest recommendations:

Specially Selected Luxury Popcorn Extra Buttery Toffee and
    Specially Selected Lemon Curd Homemade Farmhouse Yogurt (in glass jar).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Their wine section has gone to absolute shíte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

These are brilliant, a little pricey at €2.69 for 2 (?) and yes I'd prefer if they made 12" ones aswell. Made in Co.Down.

Have you noticed some dark grey marbling through some of them? I imagine it's fat of some sort but wonder if it cooks out? I've searched through the box and found ones with little or no dark grey in them. Decent shelf life of about a week but can be frozen.

Advertisement