Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

AulWan wrote: »
    Both stores I got them in had them with the cold cooked meats.

My latest recommendations:

Specially Selected Luxury Popcorn Extra Buttery Toffee and
    Specially Selected Lemon Curd Homemade Farmhouse Yogurt (in glass jar).

All of those yoghurts are beautiful, the blueberry one is my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

.red. wrote: »
    We thought it was awful, very strange aftertaste from it.

Guess we all have different tastes. Nice and peppery

yogibear77 wrote: »
    The first time I got these the were lovely, second time they were awful. The centre was rolled to thin so it disintegrated when I cut it and the edge was so thick I didn't even after I left it in longer than stated, was still raw

I think they are already cooked no?

You are right about some of them being a little on the thin side in the centre. You really gotta search the box for the decent looking ones which make me think they wont last in the shops, Aldi will want consistency I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Really liking their lentil curls. They come in a few different flavours and just taste like normal crisps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Guess we all have different tastes. Nice and peppery

Maybe, or maybe I got a dodgy sachet?
    They're cheap enough that I'd be willing to try them again.
    I'll report back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I bought a MASSIVE jar of couscous in Aldi on Tues evening, and only made some for the first time this evening, and it's really really good.

Obviously it's couscous, so easy to make just boil water and pour some over the scoop of couscous which is included (a scoop)

It's got spices in it along with pinenuts, apple etc but strongly recommend.

Post image isn't working this evening so can't upload a photo. it is now.

IMG-20200227-184236.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

McMurphy wrote: »
    I bought a MASSIVE jar of couscous in Aldi on Tues evening, and only made some for the first time this evening, and it's really really good.

Obviously it's couscous, so easy to make just boil water and pour some over the scoop of couscous which is included (a scoop)

It's got spices in it along with pinenuts, apple etc but strongly recommend.

Post image isn't working this evening so can't upload a photo. it is now. ]

Is it a regular product or in the Specials aisles?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

prodsc wrote: »
    Is it a regular product or in the Specials aisles?

I found it in the special aisles, don't believe that I seen it advertised anywhere.

Anyway, had a look at the back, it's apple, tomato, sunflower seeds, cumin and mint.

Think it was €6 but that jar will do me months.

Maybe, or maybe I got a dodgy sachet?
    They're cheap enough that I'd be willing to try them again.
    I'll report back.

Oh please do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Got the pizza bases this week, they went down a treat with the fussy kids! Very tasty.

Also loving the protein yogurts and desserts. The yogurts are the quark mix ones, very heavy but low in calories. And the chocolate and vanilla protein desserts (in yogurt type pots) are nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

DairyFine Huge Slabs of Chocolate bars €2.85 300g

Got the Biscuit Crunch Mighty Bites and Cookie and Cream.

These are the Cadbury/Milka BIG TASTE bars with Oreo middle or like the one with tuc

Tried the biscuit one, nice but sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Really liking their lentil curls. They come in a few different flavours and just taste like normal crisps
    The sour cream and onion ones are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Aldi have potato gratin trays for €1.79.

Very nice and way cheaper then the ones in Dunnes or Aldi.

Also come in other flavors.
    Chili.
    Chorizo with Onion Peppers.

Mine after 30 mins in the oven:

QTgbEAY.jpg
    J9RbhGa.png

Aldi have changed the recipe of this product - and not for the better.

Before they used small thinly sliced potatoes now large thick slices are used.

Before it was creamy and cheesy, now it tastes dry and flavorless.

Unless it's a mistake, there seems to be a dramatic change in the nutrition as well - from 374 to 640 calories per pack.

Won't be buying this product again.

Jegla3x.jpg
    XdpLmCL.jpg
    MgfJpo8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Won't be buying this product again.

Shouldnt be eating that processed shíte anyway. 56% potatoes?! :(

I posted the same last week, the new potato gratin hasn’t a patch on the original.
    Also, they’ve definitely changed the frozen waffles. And not for the better. Seem to be greasier or at least not as crispy now anyway. Same packaging but new product (full sized waffles, not the mini ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    The Aldi Ballyvourney black and white pudding is superb. About €1.69 each, dear compared to their own brand, but this is possibly the best pudding I have ever tasted, surpassing Clonakilty by a distance.

Tried the white, on your recommendation. I concur with you're opinion...its lovely. Will try the black pudding later in the week. :)Thank you

Tried the white, on your recommendation. I concur with you're opinion...its lovely. Will try the black pudding later in the week. :)Thank you

I’m not a pudding fan but my husband raves about the white pudding slices that are fairly new. They’re pre sliced but big slices not like the normal small roll of pudding. They have black as well but he hasn’t had those.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

yogibear77 wrote: »
    The first time I got these the were lovely, second time they were awful. The centre was rolled to thin so it disintegrated when I cut it and the edge was so thick I didn't even after I left it in longer than stated, was still raw

Got two packs this weekend 2 were fine 1 was a little thin in the middle but the last one was so thin in parts it disintegrated taking it out of the packet couldn't even use it. They are being stretched by hand rather than rolled so probably why they are inconsistent. I'd imagine it's an issue getting trained/experienced staff they are a small operation.

Thnk I'll stick with the Pizza Da Piero ones https://pizzadapiero.ie/ they're a bigger base so two do for a family meal. Or else try and be more organised and keep some of my own dough frozen!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Ryath wrote: »

Thnk I'll stick with the Pizza Da Piero ones https://pizzadapiero.ie/ they're a bigger base so two do for a family meal. Or else try and be more organised and keep some of my own dough frozen!

They are the ones we normally get too. Find them very consistent. It was just handy to throw the aldi ones into the weekly shop. Nothing ventured nothing gained

That could be from De Róiste Foods, unless there's a second producer in Ballyvourney.
    If it is I've had both their black and white and it's up there with Clonality. Really nice in a sandwich with a bit of butter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

.red. wrote:
    That could be from De Róiste Foods, unless there's a second producer in Ballyvourney. If it is I've had both their black and white and it's up there with Clonality. Really nice in a sandwich with a bit of butter.

Correct, as I subsequently found, it is De Róiste foods.

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Correct, as I subsequently found, it is De Róiste foods.

Is there a reason the name changed to De Ra?
    Genuine question as it's correct in my post but changed in the quote and in your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Is there a reason the name changed to De Ra?
    Genuine question as it's correct in my post but changed in the quote and in your post?

Boards interpreted the fada on the 'o' that way...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

bassy wrote: »
    the beef ragu in the black plastic round tray is lovely,is around 3 euro and it has pasta.i do add 3 boiled potatoes to have with it and I think its quite nice.

Had this for lunch today. Thought it was tasteless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got these a few days back and they are pretty savage. But thought that only 6 in a packet for 1.99 was a bit scabby. Know what you mean by it being easy to eat a full pack in one sitting :o

My store didn’t have these but had the same packaging for a Tim Tam style biscuit and oh my god they are divine. The packaging didn’t last not the biscuits.

Forget toilet roll I’ll be stockpiling these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

My store didn’t have these but had the same packaging for a Tim Tam style biscuit and oh my god they are divine. The packaging didn’t last not the biscuits.

Forget toilet roll I’ll be stockpiling these.

I had to Google Tim Tams. Are they pretty much penguin bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Picked up a couple of tins of Tuno, a veg-based tuna substitute, in the special aisle.

Anyone tried it?

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I had to Google Tim Tams. Are they pretty much penguin bars?

Kind of but much nicer! A friend brings them from Australia and they’ve different flavors there like caramel with a row of caramel down the middle etc. So good!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Has anyone been able to get the nice sea salt or rosemary crackers they used to have? In a tall black box with blue or green depending on flavour? Haven't seen them for weeks now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Has anyone been able to get the nice sea salt or rosemary crackers they used to have? In a tall black box with blue or green depending on flavour? Haven't seen them for weeks now

Picked up two boxes of the Rosemary ones in Galway last week, they had loads of the sea salt ones.

Advertisement