Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Addicted to the jalapeno tuna at the moment. So nice. Anyone else tried it?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

McMurphy wrote: »
    I found it in the special aisles, don't believe that I seen it advertised anywhere.

Anyway, had a look at the back, it's apple, tomato, sunflower seeds, cumin and mint.

Think it was €6 but that jar will do me months.

Got this too, was quite nice, though I do prefer the sundried tomato ones in the sachet, but the big tub is quite convenient.

Still addicted to those salted caramel popcorn pretzel bars, /swoon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Picked up a couple of tins of Tuno, a veg-based tuna substitute, in the special aisle.

Anyone tried it?

Absolutely rotten.
    I had never had real tuna so I thought it was just me.
    I gave it to a couple of fish eaters and chefs to try and they nearly got sick.
    Really disappointed with it as most of their veggie stuff is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I had to Google Tim Tams. Are they pretty much penguin bars?

Yeh like a penguin. These Aldi things are divine though so crisp and a real intense flavour. Only see the regular chocolate sandwich don’t know if they are doing caramel like Tim Tam do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Absolutely rotten.
    I had never had real tuna so I thought it was just me.
    I gave it to a couple of fish eaters and chefs to try and they nearly got sick.
    Really disappointed with it as most of their veggie stuff is good.

Ah ****e! Should have guessed as it was discounted. :rolleyes:

No sign of those sea salt crackers in East Wall. Been gone a couple of weeks now. The Ritz copy crackers are good though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

No sign of those sea salt crackers in East Wall. Been gone a couple of weeks now. The Ritz copy crackers are good though.

They are nice, much nicer than the Tuc ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Wish I had seen all your posts earlier, as I had been planning on going to aldi, but had decided to put it off until monday as I was feeling lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Has anyone been able to get the nice sea salt or rosemary crackers they used to have? In a tall black box with blue or green depending on flavour? Haven't seen them for weeks now

Plenty of boxes in my two local stores (Galway City). Still no sign of the crispy bacon, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

My store didn’t have these but had the same packaging for a Tim Tam style biscuit and oh my god they are divine. The packaging didn’t last not the biscuits.

Forget toilet roll I’ll be stockpiling these.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, you said your store didn't have them, but 'had the same packaging for a Tim Tam style biscuit'

With regards what your store didn't have, were you referring to these ones: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112657686&postcount=6057

As regards what your store did have, that reminded you of tim tams, do you have a photo of what you are referring to?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Anyone know if Aldi have butter beans back in?They seem to be out of stock for months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anyone know if Aldi have butter beans back in?They seem to be out of stock for months now.

Dunno about Aldi but Lidl have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

mystic86 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you are referring to, you said your store didn't have them, but 'had the same packaging for a Tim Tam style biscuit'

With regards what your store didn't have, were you referring to these ones: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112657686&postcount=6057

As regards what your store did have, that reminded you of tim tams, do you have a photo of what you are referring to?

Thank you :)

Hi that’s right my store didn’t have the ones pictured. The enrobed ones.

What they did have was a packet of Tim tam/Penguin style biscuits in the same silver design packet as the ones pictured.

I don’t have pictures they were devoured in seconds. Will get them Monday hopefully and will post a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Has anyone bought the food processor? I wonder is it any good?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We've a brand new branch in Swords in Dublin and they have lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Oh please do

On the pepper sauce, is it the clear bag you got, or the pouch of brandy and peppercorn?
    The one I tried was the clear but couldn't find it the last 2 trips, they seemed to have loads of the brandy and peppercorn both times tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

.red. wrote: »
    On the pepper sauce, is it the clear bag you got, or the pouch of brandy and peppercorn?
    The one I tried was the clear but couldn't find it the last 2 trips, they seemed to have loads of the brandy and peppercorn both times tho.

Small sachet I think 89c LIDL sell them too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If anyone spots any of the hand sanitizer the ones with moisturizer that were always up near the till in any Cork store. Please post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the food processor? I wonder is it any good?

I took a look at it as Im in the market for my first food processor. But it doesnt have any grating/shredding functionality which would be important for me for making coleslaws and salads or for grating a full slab of parmesan to top a lasagne. The brand itself (Ambiano) seems to be robust, I have the stand mixer from them a few months now and so far so good, plus its got the Aldi 3 year warranty which is great. But I passed up on the food processor as it doesnt have all the functionality I want.

Ive made my mind up on this food processor here at £128 but the Keepa app is showing me I can get it from the Amazon Warehouse for as low as £79. It alerted me to one last week for £82 but it was missing one of the grating/shredding discs so I left it. But another one with all the accessories should show up soon enough, Im not in a hurry for it or anything so can wait it out till it hits its lowest price
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-MultiPro-Classic-FDM790BA-Processor/dp/B00MVWG0OU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RC9F5HG44ZD&keywords=kenwood+multipro&qid=1584215350&sprefix=kenwood+multi+pro+%2Caps%2C-1&sr=8-2

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can get a generic grating/slicing disc for most processors - but they really do an awful job of it. A mandoline might do what you want with reduced manual effort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

The diced brisket pieces are melt in the mouth delicious when cooked slowly in a stew (on the hob, I don't like slow-cooker stew).

Sorry, I forgot to take a picture!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I took a look at it as Im in the market for my first food processor. But it doesnt have any grating/shredding functionality which would be important for me for making coleslaws and salads or for grating a full slab of parmesan to top a lasagne. The brand itself (Ambiano) seems to be robust, I have the stand mixer from them a few months now and so far so good, plus its got the Aldi 3 year warranty which is great. But I passed up on the food processor as it doesnt have all the functionality I want.

Ive made my mind up on this food processor here at £128 but the Keepa app is showing me I can get it from the Amazon Warehouse for as low as £79. It alerted me to one last week for £82 but it was missing one of the grating/shredding discs so I left it. But another one with all the accessories should show up soon enough, Im not in a hurry for it or anything so can wait it out till it hits its lowest price
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-MultiPro-Classic-FDM790BA-Processor/dp/B00MVWG0OU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2RC9F5HG44ZD&keywords=kenwood+multipro&qid=1584215350&sprefix=kenwood+multi+pro+%2Caps%2C-1&sr=8-2

What's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just had the specially selected 32 day matured Irish black angus fillet steak... one of the nicest store bought steaks I've ever had. Didn't need a steak knife, or any knife... pull it apart with two forks.

Tis award winning, apparently:
    https://extra.ie/2019/07/12/business/irish/aldi-irish-fillet-steak-named-best-in-the-world

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

McMurphy wrote: »
    What's that?

Sorry not app but its an extension for Chrome so when you are on a product page on Amazon up pops a graph showing that products entire price history for buying it new, used or Warehouse. The tabs on the graph allow you to set the price you're willing to pay and it'll email you when it drops to your target price. Ive found it great for products you're not in a rush for, the alert system seems to work a lot better than Camel X3
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/keepa-amazon-price-tracke/neebplgakaahbhdphmkckjjcegoiijjo?hl=en
    L1011 wrote: »
    You can get a generic grating/slicing disc for most processors - but they really do an awful job of it. A mandoline might do what you want with reduced manual effort?

Yeah had thought of a mandoline but I want to get a food processor anyway for things like making hummus, guacamole, etc.Will see how the processor does at slicing/grating first, from the video reviews of the one linked it seems it does a decent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

The vegetable curry potato rosti baskets are gorgeous! They're in the frozen section.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've a lad with special needs he is obsessed with KFC (prefer he ate better but thats life). He loves the popcorn chicken but its an awful rip off a tiny box for like 6 quid. Spotted aldi had there own version for 99c bought a couple and he's delighted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

rob316 wrote: »
    I've a lad with special needs he is obsessed with KFC (prefer he ate better but thats life). He loves the popcorn chicken but its an awful rip off a tiny box for like 6 quid. Spotted aldi had there own version for 99c bought a couple and he's delighted with them.

This post has made me smile a number of times the last few days. Can't explain why it's stuck with me, but it's just lovely.

Yeh like a penguin. These Aldi things are divine though so crisp and a real intense flavour. Only see the regular chocolate sandwich don’t know if they are doing caramel like Tim Tam do.

I can attest (and slightly wish I couldn't, as I'm now addicted) the Aldi Tim Tams are crispy, richly chocolatey and altogether savage.

ETA: The only disappointing thing about them is that they should be called Shim Shams, surely!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭MB05

What are the Aldi version of Tim Tams called?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

MB05 wrote: »
    What are the Aldi version of Tim Tams called?

Just Divine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

vicwatson wrote: »
    Small sachets of peppercorn sauce for 89c are delicious, great over a steak

I think I prefer the lidl version, more of a whiskey taste of them but the Aldi are nice too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

Tried a lovely Spanish Red wine, Toro Loco Superior 2018 TintoSuperior.
    It was 6.59.

Advertisement