Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

I saw them as well yesterday, wish I had gotten them too. Any idea how much they were?

99 cent each

They were at the checkouts in the Aldi I was in

They were in the fridge with sandwiches in the ALDI I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Bought a bottle of the Apple and Elderflower water to try. Have to say, I wouldn't be a fan. I found it much sweeter than the Vit-Hit, it does have artificial sweeteners in it, which I hate anyway. And even though the Vit-Hit isn't a sparkling drink, this seemed much flatter.
    We buy a lot of the Vit-Hit every week and 4 x 350ml bottles for €5 isn't cheap, but after tasting the Aldi version, I wouldn't be tempted to switch.

Recliner wrote: »
    Bought a bottle of the Apple and Elderflower water to try. Have to say, I wouldn't be a fan. I found it much sweeter than the Vit-Hit, it does have artificial sweeteners in it, which I hate anyway. And even though the Vit-Hit isn't a sparkling drink, this seemed much flatter.
    We buy a lot of the Vit-Hit every week and 4 x 350ml bottles for €5 isn't cheap, but after tasting the Aldi version, I wouldn't be tempted to switch.

Have you looked at buying VitHit on Amazon? It's 12 500ml for just less than €20

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Tried the natural peanut butter from The Foodie Market, tastes of nothing, went into the bin. Back to Meridian PB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Recliner wrote:
    Bought a bottle of the Apple and Elderflower water to try. Have to say, I wouldn't be a fan. I found it much sweeter than the Vit-Hit, it does have artificial sweeteners in it, which I hate anyway. And even though the Vit-Hit isn't a sparkling drink, this seemed much flatter. We buy a lot of the Vit-Hit every week and 4 x 350ml bottles for €5 isn't cheap, but after tasting the Aldi version, I wouldn't be tempted to switch.

Yeah I thought they were a bit more processed or sugary tasting than the Vit-Hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Well this advice turned out to be wrong as I was in Aldi yesterday and the pizza bases were there beside the fresh pizzas below the ready meals. They are a pack of 2 sourdough bases and the brand is Sorrento which is the exact same as what my local Supervalue sells except they are 3.99 there whereas in Aldi they are 2.99.

Yes! Saw these bases and was delighted. Usually buy them in my local supervalu. I wonder are they going to be a permanent thing? They just need to start selling the sorrento pizza sauce now. That would have to be a lot cheaper than 2.79 , which it is in SV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

weetiepie wrote: »
    Yes! Saw these bases and was delighted. Usually buy them in my local supervalu. I wonder are they going to be a permanent thing? They just need to start selling the sorrento pizza sauce now. That would have to be a lot cheaper than 2.79 , which it is in SV.

Use their carton of passata for sauce.
    The one with basil is lovely on it , and I usually sprinkle some oregano on it too.
    Think the cartons are around 50c.
    Those expensive pizza sauces aren't worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭CarPark2

Our ALDI hasn't had the speckled lentils since the lockdown. Does anybody else's ALDI have them? Or any ideas on other shops that stock them? Lidl doesn't have them either.

heffo500 wrote: »
    Have you looked at buying VitHit on Amazon? It's 12 500ml for just less than €20

Never thought of buying food on Amazon. I'll definitely look into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Use their carton of passata for sauce.
    The one with basil is lovely on it , and I usually sprinkle some oregano on it too.
    Think the cartons are around 50c.
    Those expensive pizza sauces aren't worth the money.

Sorry not Aldi but, have to say Dunnes own brand pizza sauce is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CarPark2 wrote: »
    Our ALDI hasn't had the speckled lentils since the lockdown. Does anybody else's ALDI have them? Or any ideas on other shops that stock them? Lidl doesn't have them either.

Tesco sell green speckley lentils

Space Dog wrote: »
    Tried the natural peanut butter from The Foodie Market, tastes of nothing, went into the bin. Back to Meridian PB.

Was this in a 1kg tub? I've using the Aldi Peanut Butter that they sold as a weekly special and find it grand.

I also find the 1kg tubs of Meridian are cheapest on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Sesame seed brioche buns are back, thats me on the burgers again for a while anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    Sesame seed brioche buns are back, thats me on the burgers again for a while anyway.

someone posted a pic of them in the pictures thread recently, are the hot dog ones back too? they are amazing.

They are meant to be seasonal. The tesco fire pit range is back too, and they have new seeded ultimate burger buns. They did not look special and at 2euro for 4 I would stick with what I know, the aldi brioche.

-as for the talk of amazon, it is good to use if trying to get over the £25 limit for free delivery, even if some food item costs a bit more than usual it might be better than buying some random cheap item you do not really want, just to get the free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Space Dog wrote: »

It tastes exactly the same. How could it not, they both have the exact same ingredients; 100% peanuts.

The only noticeable difference is that the chunky peanut butter is "chunkier" as in the peanut bits are slightly bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

Same for me have been buying the Foodie Market one for a while now and it tastes no different to the Meridian or MyProtein one.
    Just ground up peanuts in all 3..

It tastes exactly the same. How could it not, they both have the exact same ingredients; 100% peanuts.
    I wondered if they got an unsalted one and are used to salted PB. Meridian would have both options.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The only noticeable difference is that the chunky peanut butter is "chunkier" as in the peanut bits are slightly bigger.

They don't taste the same to me. I assume the Aldi one uses unroasted peanuts or they have a different roasting process. Meridian PB does have a distinctive taste, richer and a tiny bit bitter, which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had a piri piri spatchcock chicken the other day. I usually don't have roast chicken becuase it's only 2 of us. Just threw it in the oven and 45 mins later a delicious moist roast chicken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I hope it’s ok to post here I thought it might be of interest. Aldi UK partners with Deliveroo

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/18/aldi-joins-with-deliveroo-to-start-grocery-deliveries-coronavirus

I know BuyMie does an Aldi delivery but last time I looked it inflated some prices but did warn you on the page.

I hope in the post-Covid era Aldi and Lidl would have some format of a delivery service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Interesting article but last December the Aldi UK and Ireland CEO said that here they are just concentrating on acquiring new stores and growing their footprint in Ireland rather than beginning online retailing like they have with wine and middle aisle specials in the UK.

The CEO of Aldi UK and Ireland Giles Hurley is British born to Irish parents and he lived here for 20+ years. He worked in McDonalds in Tallaght before going on to setting up the very first Aldis in the Donegal region.He is now over 860 supermarkets in the UK and 140 here. Good interview with him here
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/aldi-s-british-irish-boss-is-in-the-market-for-more-growth-1.4113222

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Had the new ALDI frozen chips tonight, they’re ‘with skins’. Stuck them in the air fryer and they were really crispy and very tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »
    The frozen roosters salt & chilli shredded & breaded chicken was fairly good. Most takeaways overcook the chicken.

You could have go making your own spicebags with it.

Tried these as a filling in a chicken burger, not bad but not very spicy either. Didnt Aldi used to have shredded chicken kebab meat, has that been discontinued? Have looked for it a couple of times with no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I finally tried those lamb sausages. Merguez, not sure if there are other options.

They are very good, nice bit of meat in them, but a bit too salty for me. I generally cut down on salt and sugar in few years so anything pre seasoned/swetened I am a bit more sensitive to.

Would still recommend, less than 3 euro I think for 5 large ones, if it wasn't that salty I would buy them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

snowgal wrote:
    Sorry not Aldi but, have to say Dunnes own brand pizza sauce is delicious

Agree + the chilli cheese to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Had the oven chips from the fresh section, forget what they're branded as, they're the ones that are part cooked with beef dripping. They're really nice for oven chips but way too expensive. 3.50 i think for what you'd get in the chipper for 2.50. If they were around 1.50 i think that would be fair.

Few things I've enjoyed lately.
    The breakfast Croque is gorgeous, I leave it in for 15 mins. Delicious.
    Also the chicken pasta salad with tomato, mayo and basil sauce, it's a bit light on chicken but seriously tasty.
    Both in the fridge by the door in my local Aldi.
    The mini flat breads crisps in black pepper are seriously addictive.
    The spicy chicken wings in garlic, chilli and black pepper have become a staple in our house. I'd normally cook them for longer than they say, I prefer them really crisped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

wonski wrote: »
    I finally tried those lamb sausages. Merguez, not sure if there are other options.

They are very good, nice bit of meat in them, but a bit too salty for me. I generally cut down on salt and sugar in few years so anything pre seasoned/swetened I am a bit more sensitive to.

Would still recommend, less than 3 euro I think for 5 large ones, if it wasn't that salty I would buy them regularly.

Nice to see someone else shares this opinion. I had some last week with pork chops, and kept thinking everytime I chomped on a sausage that it was very salty.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Tried these as a filling in a chicken burger, not bad but not very spicy either. Didnt Aldi used to have shredded chicken kebab meat, has that been discontinued? Have looked for it a couple of times with no joy
    Yeah, it was not that spicy, you did get the salt & chilli, and they have another shredded chicken which was not. They also had chicken balls, regular and I think curry flavour.

That kebab thing might be making a return, if its the one you are talking about.

Aldi bows to customer demand to bring back £4.99 item shoppers say is 'better than Nando's'

I think I saw it listed before but it seemed quite pricey per kilo.
    available in both Lemon & Herb Peri Peri and fiery Peri Peri

0_unnamed.png

Probably not out as it seems to be tagged as BBQ and so is seasonal.

Advertisement