Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Where can I find tomahawk steaks at half price?!
    what I mean it Aldi & Lidl get them in once or twice a year, it usually gets in the media. They have to factor into the price that feck all people will buy them, you see people in the shop picking them up, but few buying, so in the end many are sold half price, this was happening quite a bit. They are quite expensive in the first place when you consider a lot of the weight is the bone. These are discounted as they are near the use by date, not a general offer.

There is a bargain steak thread in bargain alerts (I know you post there) https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2057501295&page=20

I am not sure if Lidl have the lamb now, I think it is seasonal too. I think it was about 7 euro per kilo.

In my tesco they do all the butcher counter meat half price at about 5.30 when the butchers finish up, not sure about nowadays though. They wheel out a big trolled and its a free for all, because of that it is probably not advisable with social distancing, it was like a rugby scrum some days, young kids sent in and passing stuff back to their mother at the back of the scrum!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

rubadub wrote: »

In my tesco they do all the butcher counter meat half price at about 5.30 when the butchers finish up, not sure about nowadays though. They wheel out a big trolled and its a free for all, because of that it is probably not advisable with social distancing, it was like a rugby scrum some days, young kids sent in and passing stuff back to their mother at the back of the scrum!

yeah Im not in Tesco all that often but have seen those meat scums if I happen to be there at the right time. Literally people waiting by the meat trolley for yer man to put a yellow sticker on and discount it :D At least Tesco and Lidl do it, I rarely if ever see Aldi do it in my local whereas Lidl have a specific 30% off section in their fridges for discounted meat. I wonder what Aldi do with their unsold fresh meat, I doubt it would be any use to food banks with only a day left on the label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Recliner wrote: »
    Few things I've enjoyed lately.
    The breakfast Croque is gorgeous, I leave it in for 15 mins. Delicious.
    Also the chicken pasta salad with tomato, mayo and basil sauce, it's a bit light on chicken but seriously tasty.
    Both in the fridge by the door in my local Aldi.
    The mini flat breads crisps in black pepper are seriously addictive.
    The spicy chicken wings in garlic, chilli and black pepper have become a staple in our house. I'd normally cook them for longer than they say, I prefer them really crisped up.

What’s a breakfast croque? Like a croque Monsieur?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So I fancy a chicken caesar salad. What of the following can I get in Aldi ?

Caesar dressing
    Croutons
    Parmesan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Discodog wrote: »

Caesar dressing
    Croutons
    Parmesan

Pretty sure they do all that.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they even do a Caesar salad bag in the veg / salad bag section that's comes with all of the above with the salad.
    I haven't got it in a long time but it was delicious.

Just add chicken!

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Pretty sure they do all that.

In fact, I'm pretty sure they even do a Caesar salad bag in the veg / salad bag section that's comes with all of the above with the salad.
    I haven't got it in a long time but it was delicious.

Just add chicken!

Hopefully my branch will. Strangely Tesco didn't .

Anyone know if they have Endive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Hopefully my branch will. Strangely Tesco didn't .

Anyone know if they have Endive.

They don't:(
    Endive is hard to find in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

They have three types of Croque type sandwiches, one is a normal Croque which is very good. They also have one which has tomato instead of ham so suitable for vegetarians and the third is the breakfast one which has sausage in it. I haven't tried that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

nc6000 wrote: »
    They have three types of Croque type sandwiches, one is a normal Croque which is very good. They also have one which has tomato instead of ham so suitable for vegetarians and the third is the breakfast one which has sausage in it. I haven't tried that one.

Interesting I’d never seen anything like that other than the Madam Egg Croque.

They don't:(
    Endive is hard to find in Ireland.

Annoying. I love it. Superquin had it in the good old days

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried their falafel burgers, just saw them in the current leaflet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Has anyone tried their falafel burgers, just saw them in the current leaflet

They are new, going on sale next Sunday. Part of the Grow with Aldi initiative. They usually test what is being bought and then sell the best sellers permanently.
    Having said that, I tried the Burren Balsamic Vinegars in the leaflet at a Food Festival last year and bought a bottle of the Blackberry & Thyme. It was delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

It's 2 slices of white bread with sliced sausage, bacon and onion relish inside and sauce with grated cheese on top of one of the bread slices.
    I pop it on a pizza tray and leave till it's nice and crispy.
    Nice savoury treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Recliner wrote: »
    It's 2 slices of white bread with sliced sausage, bacon and onion relish inside and sauce with grated cheese on top of one of the bread slices.
    I pop it on a pizza tray and leave till it's nice and crispy.
    Nice savoury treat.

Yeah - these sandwiches are better going in the oven rather than getting stuck to your panini press. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

vicwatson wrote: »
    Needs to be from fortnum and mason

Funny that anyone would think it was from a snobbery viewpoint when it’s actually a hygiene and food safety concern. I come from a farming background so have an awareness of what it takes and costs too get a quality product whether animal or vegetable to the table. I would prefer to pay more in the hope of getting a safe product. For example how anyone thinks a chicken can be ethically produced from chick to processed product on the shelf of a supermarket for sale at €4 is beyond me. The cramped conditions some animals are kept in along with the gross overuse no of steroids/ Antibiotics and other drugs is something that should be front of mind, in my view, when purchasing food. Each to their own, eat what you like but a five euro steak and a fifteen euro steak are simply not the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I’m obsessed with the specially selected ranch dressing - it’s amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The Lacura too legit mascara is very good. Don’t think it was more than a fiver. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

fin12 wrote: »
    The Lacura too legit mascara is very good. Don’t think it was more than a fiver. Would recommend.

It's a copy of Benefit's They're Real! Mascara. I like it as well but the formula is a bit dry so I don't think it will last that long. The wand is nice though so I may sanitise it and reuse it with another product later.

They also do a knock off of Pixi Glycolic Acid toner. I find it nice but overly fragranced. The Pixi Glow tonic is heavily fragranced as well, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

fin12 wrote: »

Very useful for adding colour to a broth or stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Went in Thursday looking for a drill on special that day.”all sold out” was told.batteries and other accessories left.saturday same store had about 10 drills on display.annoying

• Advertisement

They are new, going on sale next Sunday. Part of the Grow with Aldi initiative. They usually test what is being bought and then sell the best sellers permanently.
    Having said that, I tried the Burren Balsamic Vinegars in the leaflet at a Food Festival last year and bought a bottle of the Blackberry & Thyme. It was delicious!

ah right, I hadnt realised they are new. The leaflet had a feature of about 6 pages long of all these artisanal products and the people who make them. So I guess that means that there is about to be some 30 or 40 new products on the shelves in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Caesar dressing
    Croutons
    Parmesan

All bar the croutons. Their Specially Selected Caesar dressing is very good.

Annoying that they don't sell croutons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I gave in to the hype and bought those chicken thigh burgers.
    Well my God they're vile.
    Chewy and fatty and stringy, they went straight into the bin.

fussyonion wrote: »
    I gave in to the hype and bought those chicken thigh burgers.
    Well my God they're vile.
    Chewy and fatty and stringy, they went straight into the bin.
    There were warnings before about them, this below post got 10 likes so I reckon some of those did not like them either.

Would you get SF chicken thighs in a chipper?

I don't want to turn this into the chicken thigh thread again but tried the spicy and southern fried varieties and hands down the worst chicken product I have ever purchased and half eaten. Disgusting grizzly strangely flavoured pieces of mystery meat pretending to be chicken.

This came after, which I would agree with. I loved the thigh burger but can imagine many people hating them, I was warning a friend of mine against them.
    B0jangles wrote: »
    I think it all depends on what kind of chicken you like - if you like smooth, evenly textured fatless chicken then a whole boned chicken thigh is going to be revoltingly full of strange textures and taste very fatty. If this is the case, then you'd probably be better off with some nuggets or a nice grilled skinless, boneless chicken breast (with a little salt if you're feeling daring!)

:pac:

Some other poster said they were better than BK chicken burgers, but they are absolutely nothing like them! completely different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

There were warnings before about them, this below post got 10 likes so I reckon some of those did not like them either.

Would you get SF chicken thighs in a chipper?

This came after, which I would agree with. I loved the thigh burger but can imagine many people hating them, I was warning a friend of mine against them.

Some other poster said they were better than BK chicken burgers, but they are absolutely nothing like them! completely different thing.

No I wouldn't buy a thigh burger from a chipper. Maybe I'm not used to the texture.
    I don't think I'm used to thigh meat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

fussyonion wrote: »
    No I wouldn't buy a thigh burger from a chipper. Maybe I'm not used to the texture.
    I don't think I'm used to thigh meat at all.

Not to worry. You buy breasts and leave the legs for those of us that enjoy them.
    If lots of people didn't see thighs and legs as worthless, we'd have to pay way more for them.
    The odd time we'd roast a whole chicken at home, if it's just the two of us, you should see the chicken after the first meal. Everything stripped off the carcass, not a shred of skin left, all the tasty little scraps pulled off but..........two completely intact chicken breasts perched, naked on the carcass.
    They do get used but only after every other scrap is gone.

two completely intact chicken breasts perched, naked on the carcass..
    The breasts on a whole chicken are often cheaper than buying breast meat on its own.

i.e. on a €5 chicken you get more weight of breast meat than in a packet of €5 breast meat. So the rest of the chicken is basically free (if you intended on buying breast meat on its own)

I now usually cut the breast off the whole chicken before roasting. I use the breast in stir fries, making goujons, breaded chicken etc. Roast breast meat is just too dry for me. I can also freeze it and just use the full chicken for now as it lasts me a few days if I get a huge one.

If the thigh meat had been chopped up or minced like a typical chicken burger using breast meat might be then people might have liked them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Roast breast meat is just too dry for me.

Roast the chicken whole, upside down on a wire rack and turn it the right way up for the last half an hour, juicy breasts :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Roast the chicken whole, upside down on a wire rack and turn it the right way up for the last half an hour, juicy breasts :)
    Thats the normal way I do them, better but still not good enough for me, I used to pour the chicken fat back over them after cutting up.

I do not find the thighs or legs that cheap at all, they are cheap per kilo but have lots of bone weight.

By cutting them off it also means I can fit a large chicken in the airfryer.

• Advertisement

On the chicken thigh burgers when they came out around this time last year they were pretty decent. But about 5 or 6 months ago I got two packets in a row over the course of six weeks where the meat was very stringy, you'd take a bite and lot of meat from the middle of the burger would come out. I felt like there was a drop in quality so stopped buying them. Then tried them again about 4 weeks back and it was still the same so they're off my list permanently now.

Advertisement