Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Roast the chicken whole, upside down on a wire rack and turn it the right way up for the last half an hour, juicy breasts :)

You still, really need to nail your temperature and timing, though.

These days, I roast chickens on an upright roaster. It cooks in about 40 minutes, so nice and moist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On the chicken thigh burgers when they came out around this time last year they were pretty decent. But about 5 or 6 months ago I got two packets in a row over the course of six weeks where the meat was very stringy, you'd take a bite and lot of meat from the middle of the burger would come out. I felt like there was a drop in quality so stopped buying them. Then tried them again about 4 weeks back and it was still the same so they're off my list permanently now.

yep have to agree with this too. I love chicken thighs and we have them at least twice a week, but I am picky about the ones I get. that stringy texture is the very reason why. I used to get the tesco chicken chasseur until the same thing happened...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Not to worry. You buy breasts and leave the legs for those of us that enjoy them.
    If lots of people didn't see thighs and legs as worthless, we'd have to pay way more for them.
    The odd time we'd roast a whole chicken at home, if it's just the two of us, you should see the chicken after the first meal. Everything stripped off the carcass, not a shred of skin left, all the tasty little scraps pulled off but..........two completely intact chicken breasts perched, naked on the carcass.
    They do get used but only after every other scrap is gone.

Exactly the same in my house !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

You still, really need to nail your temperature and timing, though.

These days, I roast chickens on an upright roaster. It cooks in about 40 minutes, so nice and moist.

One minute Instant Pot is how cook chickens these days. Couldn't be simpler or more consistent with guaranteed juicy meat whether breast or thigh etc.

I'm actually a fan of thigh meat in curries etc as I think it holds more flavour particularly if it's been poached before being de-boned rather than roasted.

I actually like the Aldi thigh burgers and have a freezer with 5-6 of them in for a quick go to chicken burger :o

54and56 wrote: »
    One minute Instant Pot is how cook chickens these days. Couldn't be simpler or more consistent with guaranteed juicy meat whether breast or thigh etc.
    r :o

With crispy skin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

With crispy skin?

To finish (assuming you're not using the meat in a stir fry or curry etc) baste with BBQ sauce and under the grill for crispy skin.

Just had one with cobs of fresh sweetcorn for dinner and 3 of us polished it off, no leftovers :p

54and56 wrote: »
    To finish (assuming you're not using the meat in a stir fry or curry etc) baste with BBQ sauce and under the grill for crispy skin.

p

I don't see any advantage in pressure cooking a chicken, covering it in BBQ sauce and grilling it over cooking it in the oven for 40 minutes with 360 degrees extra crispy skin. Not a big fan of BBQ sauce, anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I cooked a whole chicken once in the Instant Pot, only because I wanted the meat for another dish and it was the quickest and easiest way of cooking the whole bird. The look of it when I took it out put me off for life though, especially with the squidgy, squelchy skin. If you had the patience to grill the skin afterwards, then it might have been okay, but in the time it takes for the IP to come to pressure and cook the chicken, then grill the skin, it's hardly a time saver and definitely not an effort saver, IMO.

Faith wrote: »
    I cooked a whole chicken once in the Instant Pot, only because I wanted the meat for another dish and it was the quickest and easiest way of cooking the whole bird. The look of it when I took it out put me off for life though, especially with the squidgy, squelchy skin. If you had the patience to grill the skin afterwards, then it might have been okay, but in the time it takes for the IP to come to pressure and cook the chicken, then grill the skin, it's hardly a time saver and definitely not an effort saver, IMO.

Well, to be fair, that poster was claiming that the method gave juicy, succulent breasts (Matron:eek:), rather than it was a time saver.
    Not for me, either.

I often steam chicken thighs, though - it's one of our favourite meals.
    Steamed chicken thighs with ginger and garlic served with an Asian chicken broth, rice and steamed greens. (soy sauce and sesame oil feature, too, oh and pickled chillies)
    Yumm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

snowgal wrote: »
    yep have to agree with this too. I love chicken thighs and we have them at least twice a week, but I am picky about the ones I get. that stringy texture is the very reason why. I used to get the tesco chicken chasseur until the same thing happened...

Yeah I dont know what happened the chicken thigh burgers but I definitely noticed a drop in quality which wasnt just a one off. You'd take a bite and big strings of meat would come out of the center. I dont know what they did to them, was almost going to email them about it but didnt bother in the end because it wasnt going to change on my behalf anyway
    Faith wrote: »

Yeah I had to laugh at the food bloggers on Youtube who have centrered their videos solely around cooking for the Instant Pot are all super enthusiastic about cooking a full chicken in it and promise that its the best thing ever. But then at the end of the video it comes out all yellow and your stomach is turning. Then they go an grill it anyway just for some added surprise. I love the Instant Pot but if you're doing roast chicken using two different devices it seems a waste of time and effort.

Made a pea and chorizo soup in the Instant Pot yesterday on the soup setting which came out great. But whats even better is you just dump everything in and then set it and forget it. When I had everything in I went and hoovered all the stairs and bedrooms then came back down and the soup was ready.

Anyway looking forward to trying out these new falafel burgers on available in Aldi from Sunday. Lots of other artisanal products are going to be there too, everything from cheeses to Irish made gelato and a south African style boerwore saugage. They are going to have Mrs Doyles tea too lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Muahahaha wrote: »
    On the chicken thigh burgers when they came out around this time last year they were pretty decent. But about 5 or 6 months ago I got two packets in a row over the course of six weeks where the meat was very stringy, you'd take a bite and lot of meat from the middle of the burger would come out. I felt like there was a drop in quality so stopped buying them. Then tried them again about 4 weeks back and it was still the same so they're off my list permanently now.

Went off them about the same time ago - were a regular fixture here before then.

Add to list with Lidl patatas bravas as something that was good and is now crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I think it happens: introduce a new line, good quality; few months later, swap in lower quality and hope folks will keep buying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Have noticed it so many times in the past year, fresh tortellini, fresh pasta sauce, garlic potatoes, the only thing they changed that got approval was the frozen potato waffles. Kids reckon they’re better now, although they look a bit greasier I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

tangy wrote: »
    I think it happens: introduce a new line, good quality; few months later, swap in lower quality and hope folks will keep buying :(

Happened with the Specially Selected Maple Bacon and Gruyere Cheese Quiche. Went from gorgeous golden quiche topped with lean crispy bacon to this pale and fatty bacon that had this white salted over look.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I'm still mourning the old sliced white sourdough bread, it was a really nice loaf and the last few times I had it it was like cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had a Brazilian black bean stew there today for a quick and easy lunch that came from Aldi, I forgot just how dam good they are!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Has anyone seen or tried the new falafel burgers, part of the new Grow range? None in my store yesterday anyway and was supposed to be in stock from Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I bought the Meltdown Hotstuff sauce as part of the Grow with Aldi range - its nice! Its not smooth in texture like ketchup/mayo but sure maybe thats good and the ingredients list contains mostly identifiable ingredients and its feels more homemade. Its quite spicy too, would recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

The GrillShack hot sauce is fantastic as a marinade or a dipping sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Flimsy_Boat

Specially Selected Black Pepper Crackers with mild brie. TO DIE FOR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOTGeTZk5kyYYg9S5vRtE6lb-odfIOabLHdug6J

I'm curious about these two packets of sausages. They seem identical except for the colour of the packaging and the 10c price difference. Does anyone know what the difference is?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bahanaman wrote: »
    . Does anyone know what the difference is?
    pics not working for me. You should compare ingredients lists, and nutritional info.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

rubadub wrote: »
    pics not working for me. You should compare ingredients lists, and nutritional info.

Yeah, meat content etc...

Can't see the pictures either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Your link is 404.
    Might one of them be gluten free?

Does aldi sell any decent sausages?
    I try to stick with free range when it comes to pork, although I do like their pancetta.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Your link is 404.
    Might one of them be gluten free?

Does aldi sell any decent sausages?
    I try to stick with free range when it comes to pork, although I do like their pancetta.

I honestly never seen free range pork products in any supermarket. Not that I was looking for it, but pigs never made it a big deal like chickens did...

wonski wrote: »
    I honestly never seen free range pork products in any supermarket. Not that I was looking for it, but pigs never made it a big deal like chickens did...

I'm not sure you'd notice it in a sausage but the difference between free range and factory pork is unbelievable - imagine a pork chop that isn't white and actually tastes of something!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Are those gourmet sausage rolls still available these days?

I've had a fierce hankering for one lately, but can't seem to find them.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

the microwave coconut, chilli and lemongrass rice is fantastic - had to debate hard with myself whether to post this or not, I am worried they will keep selling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are those gourmet sausage rolls still available these days?

I've had a fierce hankering for one lately, but can't seem to find them.....

They were lovely and very filling too. I haven't seen them in a while. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Got these sausages there the other day, really nice as a hot dog.

Advertisement