Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I saw the Falafel Burger in my local Aldi, they were right next to the Chorizo rings. Not the place I would have expected them to be!
    Other offerings of Grow with Aldi were in unexpected places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I had the fresh falafel and found it very dry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The frozen vegetable burgers are really good. The falafel ones are nice too, and there are Thai ones but I haven't tried them yet.

Whats-App-Image-2020-06-02-at-14-12-17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The Dominion jelly beans are lovely. The sour flavours are the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

tangy wrote: »
    That's an article from 2003.

My searching skills are poor, so I couldn't find a rebuttal, but there again, I saw no supporting articles.

Thats because the court case happened in 2003 so thats when the contemporaneous articles are from.

Anyway, it was asked why some people boycott Ballymaloe - which I answered. I'm not trying to discuss the case.

• Advertisement

If a family member commits a heinous act why should the entire family suffer? Especially if that family is an important purveyor of culture in a region?

Did I say anything of the sort?

It was asked why some people have an issue with Ballymaloe and that is the answer, whether you like it or not.

I'm not discussing the matter, simply answering a question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

SozBbz you're going to have to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The frozen vegetable burgers are really good. The falafel ones are nice too, and there are Thai ones but I haven't tried them yet.

I got the falafel ones a few months back and had one the other day in a bun with cheese and ketchup - was delish actually :D

Must try the vegetable ones

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those pizzas should be gone by now, might be some not sold yet
    99092874_2966872013350752_3634468713912074240_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=2pcSBt5Hq1cAX_owxjz&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=e57dc11392ba2a1a204e97e25901e3d1&oe=5F0832A1

It appears that they are fully cooked before freezing. So take only 5mins.

I wonder if something else special is done, maybe not 100% cooked. I remember reading that making frozen pizza was a difficult task for food engineers.
    Pizza is sold fresh or frozen, and whole or as portion-size slices or pieces. Methods have been developed to overcome challenges such as preventing the sauce from combining with the dough and producing a crust that can be frozen and reheated without becoming rigid. There are frozen pizzas with raw ingredients and self-rising crusts.

Some of the "takeaway" frozen ones have raw dough.

99402038_2959248500779770_8985585403054522368_o.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=zUR7y2gCP8cAX8WRs5E&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=08993fc4d7b26c4819c0609f0c278744&oe=5F096CCE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I did not like the Thai ones at all, dry and weird coconut taste. Maybe that's just me though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I see the merguez sausages are back and look to be a permanent addition. So happy. Have shakshuka bubbling away on the stove as we speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I bought the spinach and ricotta cannelloni ready meal during the week. Don’t normally buy the meals but this caught my eye, it’s in the fridge section. Cannelloni is filled with the spinach and ricotta and covered in tomato sauce. Really tasty and handy for a quick meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Bahanaman wrote: »
    The Dominion jelly beans are lovely. The sour flavours are the nicest.

Must try those :)

In their American week, Lidl do good sour ones as well. Branded McKenedy. The not-sour ones are very sweet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Not their own brand but I haven't seen it anywhere else, Ballyhoura Irish raw cider vinegar. Good to see an Irish company making this. C.V has always been my first preference for salad dressings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

tangy wrote:
    Must try those

tangy wrote:
    In their American week, Lidl do good sour ones as well. Branded McKenedy. The not-sour ones are very sweet though.

You won't be disappointed! I find the regular version very sweet also.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Has anyone seen these salted caramel ice cream lollies recently?

csm_sundae-shoppe-salted-caramel-protein-ice-cream-bars-detail_55fa463e65.jpg

I haven't been able to get them over the past few weeks, I fear they have been discontinued...

I've also been looking for the boneless ribs in an asian-style ginger bbq sauce, anyone seen those? I really liked the sauce they came in and they were a handy mid-week dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gammyeye

Cullen's Cloudy Lemon Cider is back on the shelves for the summer.

Mmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gammyeye wrote: »
    Cullen's Cloudy Lemon Cider is back on the shelves for the summer.

Mmmmm
    I was disappointed by it tbh. Got all excited because Radler is my drink of choice in hot weather on European holidays and I thought we'd finally got something like it over here but I found it kind of sour and nowhere near as satisfying.

cxdCASW.jpg

Wish you could get Radler over here, 40 cents a can in some Lidls on the continent, there are a lot of different brands with their own version, its more of a shandy than a cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thargor wrote: »
    I was disappointed by it tbh. Got all excited because Radler is my drink of choice in hot weather on European holidays and I thought we'd finally got something like it over here but I found it kind of sour and nowhere near as satisfying.

Wish you could get Radler over here, 40 cents a can in some Lidls on the continent, there are a lot of different brands with their own version, its more of a shandy than a cider.

Being German, I usually make my own. Half a pint of a nice lager and half a pint of lemonade is all you need. I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever even bought one ready-made.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but my local Aldi at least currently has asparagus from the UK.
    Thicker than the stuff flown in from Peru, and it tastes really good. I would recommend it with some new potatoes and a bit of butter. Maybe a squeeze of lemon, if you're fancy like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

cxdCASW.jpg

Can get Austrian Radlers here

https://craftcentral.ie/collections/radler

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Shenshen wrote: »
    Being German, I usually make my own. Half a pint of a nice lager and half a pint of lemonade is all you need. I'll be honest, I don't think I've ever even bought one ready-made.

Re: the Lemonade. Any particular one you recommend?
    Lemon & Lime, Lemon or Red?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

A radler is made with proper lemon lemonade. Likes of Sanpellogrino is probably the one of the better you can get.

A shandy here would be white lemonade or 7up with lager and red lemonade with red ale/Smithwicks. Usually about 30%, a Top is a pint with just a dash of lemonade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

cxdCASW.jpg

Lild do it here too

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ryath wrote: »
    A radler is made with proper lemon lemonade. Likes of Sanpellogrino is probably the one of the better you can get.
    A shandy here would be white lemonade or 7up with lager and red lemonade with red ale/Smithwicks. Usually about 30%, a Top is a pint with just a dash of lemonade.

Sound I have some cans of the St Helier lemon lemonade which is ALDI's take on San Pellegrino so might give that a shot.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

cxdCASW.jpg

Aw thats disappointing, I might buy just one can (or one from each Aldi and Lidl for comparison) and hold on to them until theres some nice weather.

I think drinks like Radler are perhaps a bit situational - like you I love it on holidays. I always buy it in Spain/Italy etc if I've a fridge where I'm staying, super relaxing on the balcony :) But I'm not sure it tastes the same on grey day in Ireland even if the product was exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

This salted pretzel is delicious
    Nicer than Flipz

71MKMbZsLML._AC_SX679_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Stiegl grapefruit radler is available in Ireland and is lovely.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Re: the Lemonade. Any particular one you recommend?
    Lemon & Lime, Lemon or Red?

At home, regular clear lemonade. But here, all the pure lemonade I can find is cloudy, so I'd usually use a Lemon&Lime instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

Aldi have three different bottles of men's aftershave/EDT as a special for Father's Day, selling for around €7

One of these, "Ferocious", is very similar to Dior Sauvage. I tried it the other day in the shop, and was quite impressed at how close to that he actually smelled, even more impressed when I realised the scent remained on my wrist some 8 hours later. I'm sure it's not anywhere near Sauvage in terms of quality, etc., but for the price, I think it's a great alternative.

Advertisement