Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bronkobilly

in aldi at the square today to gets some bread a tray of bread all green with the 25th july on it next tray 3 july how could they miss that a bit slow in there allway s check the dates on things:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Cazale wrote: »
    Only 140 essentials products like bread and milk. €4.99 delivery plus the products are dearer on the app than in-store.

From the aldi website.
    The prices of our products on the Deliveroo app may be different from what you pay in store. However, they still offer amazing Aldi value and quality.

Sounds like it will be aimed at the lazy/last minute/emergency purchaser.

I love shopping on line but I could never get my head about it for grocery. I don't like the idea of someone else picking my food, I like to chose my items based on what looks good on the day, a good best before date etc. I don't think i'll be trying the new service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

The Ciabatta bread that you cook in the oven is delicious (and only 99c). I've only tried the plain version, but there is also a black olive one. Lovely paired with salad or soup :)

I also highly recommend the Specially Selected fruit and oat cookies. Lovely accompaniment to coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Not food related but has anyone seen the father's Day aftershaves still in their local store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Aldi have three different bottles of men's aftershave/EDT as a special for Father's Day, selling for around €7

One of these, "Ferocious", is very similar to Dior Sauvage. I tried it the other day in the shop, and was quite impressed at how close to that he actually smelled, even more impressed when I realised the scent remained on my wrist some 8 hours later. I'm sure it's not anywhere near Sauvage in terms of quality, etc., but for the price, I think it's a great alternative.

I picked up a bottle of the above last Sunday in store on the back of the recommendation given. Very pleased with it. Longevity is brilliant which I usually find an an issue with aftershave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of the above last Sunday in store on the back of the recommendation given. Very pleased with it. Longevity is brilliant which I usually find an an issue with aftershave

Are they still in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

heffo500 wrote: »
    Are they still in store?

I've not been in since, but they had some in the Rathmines store on Sunday just gone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is in the specials at the minute, small bottle but the nicest non-takeaway garlic sauce Ive ever used, only €1.50 aswell:

Pt1Pm41.png

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jazz_jazz

Can anyone recommend a good ground coffee in Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

jazz_jazz wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good ground coffee in Aldi?

Our household drinks a lot of coffee and we find their Italian blend to be the best combination of strength and flavor.

We primarily use it in an AeroPress but it also works well in a French Press or a regular coffee machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jazz_jazz

54and56 wrote: »
    Our household drinks a lot of coffee and we find their Italian blend to be the best combination of strength and flavor.

We primarily use it in an AeroPress but it also works well in a French Press or a regular coffee machine.

That's great, thanks. I'll try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

2013Lara wrote: »
    The best shop bought garlic sauce I've ever had. Not sure if it's part of the grow with Aldi range.
    It is not an aldi brand. https://www.sauceman.ie/product-range/

It is in tesco too says 60g but it is 2x60g

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=304115958

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thargor wrote: »
    This is in the specials at the minute, small bottle but the nicest non-takeaway garlic sauce Ive ever used, only €1.50 aswell:

Pt1Pm41.png

I got a bottle of this yesterday and had it with chicken wings last night. It was delicious, theres a really nice tang to it. Will be buying a couple more bottles before it goes off special. It was in the middle aisles near the tills in my store if anyones looking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Has anyone seen Blue Cheese salad dressing ?

That new garlic ciabatta is fecking amazing, airfried some bacon then chopped it up and had bacon and cheese garlic ciabatta with a salad today, nicest thing ive made in ages...
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    I got a bottle of this yesterday and had it with chicken wings last night. It was delicious, theres a really nice tang to it. Will be buying a couple more bottles before it goes off special. It was in the middle aisles near the tills in my store if anyones looking
    Its great, I used it instead of tartar sauce with some battered cod on Friday aswell and it was lovely, I stocked up more today.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

The Ciabatta bread that you cook in the oven is delicious (and only 99c). I've only tried the plain version, but there is also a black olive one. Lovely paired with salad or soup :)

Tried it today, the ciabatta didn't really taste of anything tbh. The butter I had on top was nice though.

Pt1Pm41.png
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    SuperValu selling this for €1.50 at the minute if anyone wants to give it a try, between the sesame seeded brioche buns and this sauce my cheeseburger and chips intake is reaching dangerous levels... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

We noticed this week our second week back to Aldi they had new bakery items, Rhubarb and Custard crumble tarts and Almond Bakewells in packs of four. They also had a Grainne's Hazelnut surprise cake, now I'm not sure what the surprise in every bite was but it was tasty, it was mostly vanilla with a hint of hazelnut.

Oh I got the Vienna Loaf it was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Turkish Style Garlic Sauce, none in my Aldi got it in Tesco for €1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Turkish Style Garlic Sauce, none in my Aldi got it in Tesco for €1.50.

None in mine either. They only had Saucy Sauce, a mix of Ketchup and Mayo. No need for that if you have the two base sauces anyway!

My new discovery is the Farmhouse Cream Cheese. It comes in a round tub and contains none of the usual additives. Lovely clean fresh taste!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    It is not an aldi brand. https://www.sauceman.ie/product-range/

It is in tesco too says 60g but it is 2x60g

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=304115958
    The sauce mentioned before was using garlic powder.

You can get garlic powder or granules in most supermarkets. I mill through the stuff. I just add some to mayo to make garlic sauce, you can add vinegar, pickle juice or natural yogurt to make it thinner. Along with other spices etc, I use sriracha to get a kebab type sauce. Parsley is often used in the dips for pizza places, I usually just put in mixed herbs.

The garlic powder mixes in well but it draws moisture from the air and can go rock hard in the jar. The granules do not do this. I using granules they should be let sit a while to mix better into the mayo. I make a concentrated small jar and leave it in the fridge so it can be mixed with regular mayo to weaken it.

Beware not to mistake garlic salt for the powder/granules, which is just powder with salt and overpriced.

Wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

SuperValu selling this for €1.50 at the minute if anyone wants to give it a try, between the sesame seeded brioche buns and this sauce my cheeseburger and chips intake is reaching dangerous levels... :D

Want a recipe to make it yourself for when the shops run out....?

:D

And never mention "turkish style garlic sauce" in the Netherlands.
    If you even end up in a doner\shoarma restaurant over there, insist the garlic sauce is made fresh in front of you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

inforfun wrote: »
    Want a recipe to make it yourself for when the shops run out....?

Yes please!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Faith wrote: »
    Yes please!

1/2 tablespoon of cognac or lemon juice
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar
    3 garlic cloves (or more)
    125 ml creme fraiche or greek yogurt
    3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon of chopped chives
    1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
    salt pepper

Mix lemon juice with the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. (better if you heat the lemon juice first; e.g. in the microwave for a while)
    Squeeze the garlic cloves (garlic press) and mix with the lemon juice.
    Mix in creme fraiche \ yogurt, mayonnaise and herbs.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Personally l'ld use greek yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

inforfun wrote: »
    1/2 tablespoon of cognac or lemon juice
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon of sugar
    3 garlic cloves (or more)
    125 ml creme fraiche or greek yogurt
    3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon of chopped chives
    1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
    salt pepper

Mix lemon juice with the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved. (better if you heat the lemon juice first; e.g. in the microwave for a while)
    Squeeze the garlic cloves (garlic press) and mix with the lemon juice.
    Mix in creme fraiche \ yogurt, mayonnaise and herbs.
    Add salt and pepper to taste.

Personally l'ld use greek yoghurt.

and try a variation by substituting Parsley with fresh Coriander :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They have new cake slices in the chilled section of the fridges in both Lemon and Chocolate Fudge too, and they are absolutely delicious.

Well, the lemon one was anyways. Not sure about the Chocolate ones as my little darlings ate mine while I was slaving away at work, the little sh1ts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They are selling the sparkling water 500ml in 12 bottles for €2.50 instead of 6 bottles before. Think this is handier as 6 bottles runs out fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

McMurphy wrote: »
    They have new cake slices in the chilled section of the fridges in both Lemon and Chocolate Fudge too, and they are absolutely delicious.

Well, the lemon one was anyways. Not sure about the Chocolate ones as my little darlings ate mine while I was slaving away at work, the little sh1ts.

The chocolate ones are lush!!! Pop in the microwave for 20 seconds, then a blob of whipped cream.....happy days :D;)

• Advertisement

New to me anyway are frozen Skin on Fries. A yellow bag I think €1.19.

They are delicious. I cook them in the air fryer.

Advertisement