Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

The Nal wrote: »
    Their wine selection is abysmal but the Cotes du Rhone Village is spectacular value for 9 quid.

C%C3%B4tes-du-Rh%C3%B4ne-Villages-A.jpg?o=t3g0rlVxawvdy51px6xgpQDavPAj&V=7Q8X&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

Good wine, great value, I think it actually sells for €7.49 (was previously 6.99)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Good wine, great value, I think it actually sells for €7.49 (was previously 6.99)

Any other nice wine suggestions? Aldi discontinued my previous favourite, a Portuguese Red called Gym Dao that was €8. I also like the other Portuguese Red they carry, Animus which is €7.50, but would love to find something new to add to the selection.

It was handy to be able to get a decent Red in Aldi, saves me a trip to O'Briens and usually a few €€€.

Wanted to also post about the Aldi Ice Creams - what we've tried so far have been really good. Much better than other own brands and in some cases, nicer than the big brand alternatives.

We buy the Giannis Almond Choc Sticks that are €1.50 for 4, and nicer than Magnum IMO.

I've also recently bought the faux Cornettos in both Chocolate and Caramel flavours and they were both very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got those skin on fries, the ones with beef dripping. Very tasty and will buy in future instead of the maris piper chunky chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

SozBbz wrote: »
    Any other nice wine suggestions? Aldi discontinued my previous favourite, a Portuguese Red called Gym Dao that was €8. I also like the other Portuguese Red they carry, Animus which is €7.50, but would love to find something new to add to the selection.

It was handy to be able to get a decent Red in Aldi, saves me a trip to O'Briens and usually a few €€€.

Most of their wines for me represent great value and from about €7 upwards tend to be good and very good.

I got a Fleurie, Pierre Jaurant, there last weekend for 8.99 I think and I really thought it was an exceptionally good light summertime tipple.

Toro Loco variants are always consistently good.

They seem to be getting some new wines at the moment which I look forward to trying - I have a Sangiovese Romagna from there waiting to be opened in a few hours' time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

They seem to be getting some new wines at the moment which I look forward to trying - I have a Sangiovese Romagna from there waiting to be opened in a few hours' time.

That's very easy to drink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

SozBbz wrote: »
    Any other nice wine suggestions?

Chianti is good for 7 quid.

They've discontinued a load of the good ones in my local anyway. The Malbec, Pinot etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Their new Tuc style crackers in the red and blue box for 99c are lovely with a bit of cheese.

Thanks for the wine tips lads - I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

These chips, never had them but should I go for the beef fat or normal version? Which tastes better?
    If you put beef dripping chips in an airfryer your neighbours will be calling the fire brigade, the Skin-On non-beef dripping ones are the best Ive ever had out of mine though. Ive only had the McCain Gastro beef dripping ones but I did them in the oven after the tower of smoke they made out of the airfryer but they were very greasy and it felt like I was consuming a lot of extra calories for a not very nice oven chip...

EDIT: This isnt the Airfryer thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

These chips, never had them but should I go for the beef fat or normal version? Which tastes better?

All things equal, beef fat wins :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Their Italian beer is excellent, "Birra Mappelli" I think it is called.

Really nice summer time beer, and I can't for the life of me think what other well known Italian beer it is that they are trying to copy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

rob316 wrote: »
    I remember seen that in the Grow with Aldi section so was a once off. A google though says this is the gang https://www.naturallycordial.ie/products/

That's the one, thank you:)
    Although at €6/500ml it won't be an everyday drink in this house!! I don't drink alcohol so am always on the look out for something different to jizz up my sparkling water:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

The Nal wrote: »
    Their wine selection is abysmal but the Cotes du Rhone Village is spectacular value for 9 quid.

C%C3%B4tes-du-Rh%C3%B4ne-Villages-A.jpg?o=t3g0rlVxawvdy51px6xgpQDavPAj&V=7Q8X&w=480&h=600&p=2&q=77

ssssh its a secret! a fav of mine and such good value. Also the Cahors malbec is really lovely but not always there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

That's the one, thank you:)
    Although at €6/500ml it won't be an everyday drink in this house!! I don't drink alcohol so am always on the look out for something different to jizz up my sparkling water:D

I think you mean 'jazz up', 'jizz up' is something completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Either that or there's some very special offers in that poster's local store :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

Bought a bottle this evening, it was €7.29 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Either that or there's some very special offers in that poster's local store :pac:

Oops:o

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

griffdaddy wrote: »

Both are interchangeable in some regions.

Does Aldi ever sell any flatbreads aside from plain wraps? I put a pot of hummus in the trolley and then went looking for flatbreads but couldnt see anything there. Im talking the type of flatbread that would have yoghurt as one of the ingredients in the dough used to make them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

They used to sell very good ones from Safa Foods a few years back - called Lebanese flatbreads - but they stopped doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Very disappointed with their squeezy smooth ‘ballymaloe’ relish.

It’s just sugary water. No kick to it. Has about three times the ingredients of the Ballymaloe one but not a tenth of the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,647 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Anyone chance the Grapevine single varietal wine range at 5 euros a bottle?
    There are 4 reds inc Malbec unusual at that price, and 2 whites.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Bought spicy Turkey sausages there on Friday, and was very impressed, i ate them for breakfast over a few mornings, but imagine they'd go well as a lunch or dinner (or BBQ)

On these new skin on fries, my local Aldi only ever has the beef dripping ones, and as my wife is a veggie, that rules them out for this house .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

odyssey06 wrote:
    Anyone chance the Grapevine single varietal wine range at 5 euros a bottle? There are 4 reds inc Malbec unusual at that price, and 2 whites.

The reds are all very nice. Brilliant value at the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The crispy duck with hoisin sauce is lovely.

Anyone recommend any of the ground coffee?

Treated myself to a stove top coffee pot, so said I'd ask in here if anyone has any recommendations.

Cheers

The crispy duck with hoisin sauce is lovely.

yeah +1 on this, its pretty decent. Lidls confit duck legs are another one worth trying.

McMurphy wrote: »
    On these new skin on fries, my local Aldi only ever has the beef dripping ones, and as my wife is a veggie, that rules them out for this house .

yeah its the same in my Aldi, I havent seen the ones without beef dripping yet in my local

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭texas star

Hi can anyone point me in the direction of sugar free foods in Aldi for my child.Or is there a thread I can get info off thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does Aldi ever sell any flatbreads aside from plain wraps? I put a pot of hummus in the trolley and then went looking for flatbreads but couldnt see anything there. Im talking the type of flatbread that would have yoghurt as one of the ingredients in the dough used to make them.

Aldi used to sell what were called Mediterranean flat breads. They were something between a wrap/tortilla and a pita - available in both wholemeal and white.

Dunne's now sell these - I like them.

Advertisement