Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Does anyone buy the spinach /kale mix?
    Supposed to be 60%/40% ratio

Seems hardly any kale at all in it these days.

Those skin on fries are really good, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

McMurphy wrote:
    Treated myself to a stove top coffee pot, so said I'd ask in here if anyone has any recommendations.

McMurphy wrote:
    Anyone recommend any of the ground coffee?

Their Ethiopian and Columbian pre ground coffee in very colourful (specially selected range?) packaging are decent in my moka pot. Just make sure to brew at very low heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aldi used to sell what were called Mediterranean flat breads. They were something between a wrap/tortilla and a pita - available in both wholemeal and white.

Dunne's now sell these - I like them.

thanks will check out Dunnes for them. I thought it was a bit bizarre that Aldi sell about three or four different types of hummus but dont sell the type of middle eastern flatbread that typically goes with it. And as another poster said they did used to sell the proper kind of flatbreads but no longer do.

Of course I could make my own flatbreads but anytime I do I end up throwing out most of a pot of yoghurt (something I hate doing) as I dont like the stuff otherwise, Ive no taste buds for sour flavours. I tried freezing small pots of yoghurt before and it didnt freeze well, it because all separated when defrosted so I gave up on that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Their Ethiopian and Columbian pre ground coffee in very colourful (specially selected range?) packaging are decent in my moka pot. Just make sure to brew at very low heat.

Took a punt on this last night as I liked the description of it on the packaging, and am so glad I did. :)

I'm not a coffee connoisseur or anything like that, but I just flat out would never make coffee at home as we have always bought the instant stuff, which in comparison to a decent pub/cafe or even some of the decent petrol stations is just muck, and why I always chose tea at home.

Picked up the Moka Pot during the week (I had been promising to buy myself one for years after living with an Italian fella in Oz, as the coffee he made in it was always smashing) but never got around to it.

Had a very enjoyable coffee with eggs for breakfast, and sat down with one now to enjoy.

Thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Muahahaha wrote: »
    thanks will check out Dunnes for them. I thought it was a bit bizarre that Aldi sell about three or four different types of hummus but dont sell the type of middle eastern flatbread that typically goes with it. And as another poster said they did used to sell the proper kind of flatbreads but no longer do.

Of course I could make my own flatbreads but anytime I do I end up throwing out most of a pot of yoghurt (something I hate doing) as I dont like the stuff otherwise, Ive no taste buds for sour flavours. I tried freezing small pots of yoghurt before and it didnt freeze well, it because all separated when defrosted so I gave up on that idea.

Yogurt doesn't freeze well, but the flatbreads do. Make sure to layer with baking paper, then you can take them out individually.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

texas star wrote: »
    Hi can anyone point me in the direction of sugar free foods in Aldi for my child.Or is there a thread I can get info off thanks

You're much more likely to find that sort of information in the Nutrition & Diet forum :)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=982

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

What I do is make up enough dough to use the yoghurt and freeze the dough in balls to thaw and use when I need them, so no waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Does Aldi ever sell any flatbreads aside from plain wraps? I put a pot of hummus in the trolley and then went looking for flatbreads but couldnt see anything there. Im talking the type of flatbread that would have yoghurt as one of the ingredients in the dough used to make them.

There are fresh pita bread for months now. Plain and wholemeal.

Not sure why you must have yoghurt in the flat bread ingredients list. Is that a must have with hummus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I’m really enjoying their Vienna roll, I think it’s that black label but it’s only about €1.10. Toasts lovely for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

wonski wrote: »

Not sure why you must have yoghurt in the flat bread ingredients list. Is that a must have with hummus?

While pitas are a type of flatbread, I don't think it's pitas that the poster is looking for.

• Advertisement

wonski wrote: »

not a must have but just moreso that middle eastern flatbreads like taftoon or Indian naan contain it. The yogurt gives it a nice flavour and a chewy texture that I like whereas pita has a more crumbly texture. Anyway the beer rev said its available in Dunnes so I'll give that a try.

Anyone here having problems with Aldi milk, the last three cartons Ive had went off about 2 days before the date and now the current one is marked August 8th but had turned sour by this morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Might be a store specific problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

not a must have but just moreso that middle eastern flatbreads like taftoon or Indian naan contain it. The yogurt gives it a nice flavour and a chewy texture that I like whereas pita has a more crumbly texture. Anyway the beer rev said its available in Dunnes so I'll give that a try.

Anyone here having problems with Aldi milk, the last three cartons Ive had went off about 2 days before the date and now the current one is marked August 8th but had turned sour by this morning :(

Yes. We get different milk for different people. The lactose one had congealed at the bottom, I’m queasy since.

Thought it was our fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Had this issue many times in the past. Totally convinced it’s either left in the warehouse non refrigerated OR they are way too generous with their use by dates. Went through a phase a couple of years back that milk was being dumped up to 3 days in advance of use by date. Complained many times, received vouchers. The problems went away and haven’t had any since. Maybe it’s back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I have the same problem with Avonmore milk that we get delivered by a milk man. It's taken in straight away and put into the fridge. Might just be the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Total opposite with me, I find the Alsi milk goes on fine way past the sell by date. At least three days or so. I'm based in Donegal though, maybe the milk is from here as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Total opposite with me, I find the Alsi milk goes on fine way past the sell by date. At least three days or so. I'm based in Donegal though, maybe the milk is from here as well?

Also Donegal here and same story with the milk. Perfect for at least two days after date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Is it not important when you open the milk though - I only ever expect it to last 3/4 days once opened, irrespective of the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've mentioned it before but, in my experience, milk in tetrapak containers seems to last way longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

UV breaks down milk; hence why Tetrapak was invented.

• Advertisement

SozBbz wrote: »
    Is it not important when you open the milk though - I only ever expect it to last 3/4 days once opened, irrespective of the date.

Maybe so, Im not sure. Would expect to get 5-6 days out of it myself though and normally do except for recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,596 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

They seem to have those cake slices in a full cake now!(€6.99)
    116884348_2702798593376078_9142244011608645148_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=lIv01JgyTRwAX-1K20q&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=23553ee7c4f5d82ee633017f31ac505f&oe=5F4F1E68

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Maybe so, Im not sure. Would expect to get 5-6 days out of it myself though and normally do except for recently.

I never get more than 4 days max out of fresh milk. On the last day I usually notice that it's turning. It's probably fine if you add it to tea after that, and of course it's grand for baking, but I only use milk for cereal and porridge and wouldn't use it for that after four days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Space Dog wrote: »
    I never get more than 4 days max out of fresh milk. On the last day I usually notice that it's turning. It's probably fine if you add it to tea after that, and of course it's grand for baking, but I only use milk for cereal and porridge and wouldn't use it for that after four days.

Lidl milk is very good. I actually just opened a carton today that has the best before date of today on it and it’s perfect. Never have had an issue with Lidl but have in the past with Aldi but not for a long time having said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I don't think I'll buy one but I'm just curious what are those chilled ready made roast dinners like? They don't look half bad

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭europhile

rob316 wrote: »
    I don't think I'll buy one but I'm just curious what are those chilled ready made roast dinners like? They don't look half bad

They look revolting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Vile! Got a couple when I was working from home. The bacon and cabbage was horrible, tasted of nothing except salt. The burger one was edible, just about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Vile! Got a couple when I was working from home. The bacon and cabbage was horrible, tasted of nothing except salt. The burger one was edible, just about.

Thought as much. My curiosity has been satisfied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

My dad usually buys a few for the freezer for the days he's on his own and he couldn't be arsed cooking a dinner. He seems to think they're not as nice as fresh, homemade dinners(obviously) but he said bacon and cabbage or roast turkey aren't easy dinner to cook for one person so they're a good alternative. He said if it wasn't for them he'd be sticking in a pizza or going to the chipper.
    A good few lads in work use them too and I've never heard anyone complain about them.

• Advertisement

Have only ever had the roast beef one. They're not great, Id say 6/10. But if you're stuck and dont feel like cooking then like most ready made meals they're adequate.

Advertisement