Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Another nice white wine in Aldi is the Albariño. It is a wine from Galicia in Spain. About €8/9.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

We tried Toro Loco the other day and I found it very bland. Then again I mostly drink wine with food and prefer something with a bit of a body. There is some Sancere that I think it's quite nice and I like most of their limited edition wines that I tried. I think wine is one of those things that you get what you pay for. In Aldi I would mostly stick to their more expensive wines.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would you feed 2 people with that box of BBQ ribs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Thargor wrote: »
    Would you feed 2 people with that box of BBQ ribs?

If it's a starter, yes.

If it's a starter, yes.
    You could say that about anything!

Nah I mean with coleslaw and chips for 2, would you split a box of ribs or would you need 2 boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Nah I mean with coleslaw and chips for 2, would you split a box of ribs or would you need 2 boxes?

I got 2 of them and 2lbs of chicken wings which I smothered in the Franks sauce for 3 people .... unfortunately nobody else liked the smokey taste of the ribs and the wings were too spicy.....so I sat down and ate the lot. ....looked like an episode of "Man V Food" towards the end with the bones piled high on my plate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The box is 600g, so 300g each minus whatever the bones weigh. If you are not starving/greedy and have coleslaw and chips with it you should be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

One box between two wouldn't do us - we usually have them on the side with something like chicken goujons and home made chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

The duneen Greek style yogurt is delish. It's really lovely with fruit in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Did anyone else notice Aldi no longer seem to have their own brand ready brek? Haven't seen it in weeks now. The kids loved it!

• Advertisement

One box between two wouldn't do us - we usually have them on the side with something like chicken goujons and home made chips.
    Thats what I did, threw half a pack in the Airfryer with some Southern Fried Goujons and wedges, coleslaw and sweetcorn, very nice meal for very little work.

The ribs are absolutely lovely but its a big bone with a thin layer of meat on each one though, might just pig out and do the full box of them next time, lovely barbecue sauce aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Thats what I did, threw half a pack in the Airfryer with some Southern Fried Goujons and wedges, coleslaw and sweetcorn, very nice meal for very little work.

The ribs are absolutely lovely but its a big bone with a thin layer of meat on each one though, might just pig out and do the full box of them next time, lovely barbecue sauce aswell.

The salt and chilli ones aren't nice, stick to the bbq!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had their Specially Selected Pasta Sauce with hot Chilli, really delicious indeed, think it costs about 1.50 euros.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I feel like this thread is partly responsible for me not integrating into Canada properly. I miss Aldi!! I move to the UK in September and I have already mapped the nearest Aldi to home/work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Finally got my hands on some of that "strong" cheese spread stuff.

Well, meh.

It feels like a throwback to the 1970's - plastic cheese! Now, there's nothing wrong with plastic, I do like a bit of plastic every now and then, in among all the healthy worthy stuff that we're supposed to be eating all the time. But it just tasted of.... nothing.

Not sure if I've dulled my tastebuds with too much salt over the years, or if it's because I had it on flavoured crackers, or because I wasn't starving hungry when I tried it - but underwhelmed doesn't begin to describe it.

And I just can't wait till it turns into the yoghurt texture described by an earlier poster :eek:

Ah well, you live and learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Faith wrote: »
    I feel like this thread is partly responsible for me not integrating into Canada properly. I miss Aldi!! I move to the UK in September and I have already mapped the nearest Aldi to home/work :D

I'm living in the UK at the moment and Aldi is fantastic. I did my first big shop there, stocking up on all sorts of cupboard essentials like oils, pasta, spices, tins of stuff etc, as well as meat, vegetables, household stuff and lots more for less than £50!

Faith wrote: »

Oh bless, I would miss it too, its my favourite store!

Has anyone tried the Aldi chicken burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Finally got my hands on some of that "strong" cheese spread stuff.

Well, meh.

It feels like a throwback to the 1970's - plastic cheese! Now, there's nothing wrong with plastic, I do like a bit of plastic every now and then, in among all the healthy worthy stuff that we're supposed to be eating all the time. But it just tasted of.... nothing.

Not sure if I've dulled my tastebuds with too much salt over the years, or if it's because I had it on flavoured crackers, or because I wasn't starving hungry when I tried it - but underwhelmed doesn't begin to describe it.

And I just can't wait till it turns into the yoghurt texture described by an earlier poster :eek:

I like it, and I'm a horrendous cheese snob. I don't find it remotely strong but it has a lovely creamy texture and I've had no issues at all with it separating, and we're on our third tub.
    Zelda247 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Aldi chicken burgers?

If you mean the fresh, unbreaded ones, then yes, and they're excellent. Get the chilli and lime ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

Just an observation, I have been following this thread for ages, taking tips etc, I am now of the opinion that Aldi is only good for cleaning products and no good for food stuff. An example yesterday, my local Aldi does not stock soup or baguettes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

6541 wrote: »
    Just an observation, I have been following this thread for ages, taking tips etc, I am now of the opinion that Aldi is only good for cleaning products and no good for food stuff. An example yesterday, my local Aldi does not stock soup or baguettes.

What? I've never been in an aldi that didn't stock both of those as standard. Baguettes ready to cook in the bread section and soup both dried (above the freezers) and fresh in the fridges

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

maybe i just didn't see it. let me check again before I judge to quickly !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

6541 wrote: »
    maybe i just didn't see it. let me check again before I judge to quickly !

They don't have a bakery, so you won't get fresh ready to eat baguettes; but as said they do have part-baked ones (which I almost prefer).
    And as good a selection of soups as you'll get in any supermarket; packets and ready to heat tubs (suddenly not sure if they actually have tins)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    They don't have a bakery, so you won't get fresh ready to eat baguettes; but as said they do have part-baked ones (which I almost prefer).
    And as good a selection of soups as you'll get in any supermarket; packets and ready to heat tubs (suddenly not sure if they actually have tins)
    My local Aldi has some fresh breads - not sure if they're baked on site (I suspect not) but they're fresh and very very nice, including baguettes.

I don't think all stores have fresh bread, though.

They most definitely have soup!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

Was in the frozen section last night and picked up something I hadn't spotted before. Aldi Giant Couscous & Vegetables contains - 'giant' couscous, barley, red pepper, soya beans, carrot, pomegranate,pumpkin seeds and spring onions.

I heated some up in the microwave at lunchtime - mixed some leftover satay chicken in and it was lovely. Very filling and a good flavor.

They had chopped frozen button mushrooms there at the time too - don't remember seeing them before either. Haven't tried them yet but they might come in handy for some sort of dinner concoction.

SteM wrote: »
    Was in the frozen section last night and picked up something I hadn't spotted before. Aldi Giant Couscous & Vegetables contains - 'giant' couscous, barley, red pepper, soya beans, carrot, pomegranate,pumpkin seeds and spring onions.

I heated some up in the microwave at lunchtime - mixed some leftover satay chicken in and it was lovely. Very filling and a good flavor.

They had chopped frozen button mushrooms there at the time too - don't remember seeing them before either. Haven't tried them yet but they might come in handy for some sort of dinner concoction.

I spotted the Aldi Giant Coucous & Veg. recently and have been tempted to try them.

I bought their frozen 3 bean super mix stir-fry veg and its yummy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

I spotted the Aldi Giant Coucous & Veg. recently and have been tempted to try them.

I bought their frozen 3 bean super mix stir-fry veg and its yummy...

I spotted the stir-fry mix but didn't pick any up - must give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

IIRC there's 3 different things in that range, all mixed together in the freezer section they're in. There's the giant couscous one, something with lentils and veg, and a thai style mixed vegetables. They're all quite good, but the portion sizing, as with many things, is too much for one person and not quite enough for two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I occasionally get the pre-made wraps in Aldi.
    Got the Sweet Chilli one today... lovely as ever.
    Big 'Produced in Ireland' sticker on it.
    Yes - I know this means the ingredients could be sourced elsewhere, but I double checked the back.

'Produced in Ireland using Brazilian chickens'.
    WTF??
    How much cheaper are Brazilian chickens?
    Must be so cheap it's still worth while shipping them in :s
    Not sure I'll get it again... would much rather Irish chickens!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I occasionally get the pre-made wraps in Aldi.
    Got the Sweet Chilli one today... lovely as ever.
    Big 'Produced in Ireland' sticker on it.
    Yes - I know this means the ingredients could be sourced elsewhere, but I double checked the back.

'Produced in Ireland using Brazilian chickens'.
    WTF??
    How much cheaper are Brazilian chickens?
    Must be so cheap it's still worth while shipping them in :s
    Not sure I'll get it again... would much rather Irish chickens!

Oh thats not great.

Obviously Irish is best as local is best, but to be sourcing chicken from outside the EU??? I don't like that one bit.

I'll be checking every meat product with a fine tooth comb from now on.

Advertisement