Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    This is in relation to the beeswax wrappers?

I think I recall seeing the ad somewhere too. Seemed a bit pricey. But you find them worth it?

I might be tempted if they are any good!

I think I paid €14 for 3 in three different sizes plus 3 for delivery.

I like them, especially for the cheese, I ruined the first one by washing it in water that was too hot so just keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

€14-15 seems to be the normal price for a three pack - you'll never come vaguely closed to making back the cost in reduced costs of buying cling film (the wraps wear out) - so its entirely down to how much you value not releasing plastics to waste streams

Most plastic wrap in bins in Ireland is burnt at either Ringsend or Platin rather than landfilled. It is not recycled nor is there practical recycling on the horizon.

L1011 wrote: »
    €14-15 seems to be the normal price for a three pack - you'll never come vaguely closed to making back the cost in reduced costs of buying cling film (the wraps wear out) - so its entirely down to how much you value not releasing plastics to waste streams

Most plastic wrap in bins in Ireland is burnt at either Ringsend or Platin rather than landfilled. It is not recycled nor is there practical recycling on the horizon.

The company I got them from sell a wax to rejuvenate them, I don't know if that makes a difference to longevity.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aldi have stewing beef on the super 6 atm so decided to make a batch of chilli with the excellent recipe over in the cooking club forum. Was just going to have the chilli with basmati rice as normal but then when in Aldi I spotted this tex mex dip tray for 1.99. Its guacamole, tomato salsa, sour cream and chive and nacho cheese dips. So got a bag of their Snackrite tortilla chips along with some jalapenos and extra mature cheddar cheese to make nachos to go with the dips.

It was very tasty indeed. Even if you dont have chilli beef those four tex mex dips with the Snackrite tortilla chips and some grated cheddar cheese melted into them would be tasty on its own.

texmex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I got a really nice bottle of Lemon & Lime cordial in Aldi during the lockdown. It was in middle aisle with the food specials. I haven't seen it since, does anyone know if it appears regularly or if it was a once off?

I have no idea of the brand - didn't even have the smarts to take a pic of the label before it got binned!! I think the bottle was only about 300ml

The cordial will be back on sale from Sunday 13th as part of the Grow with Aldi campaign. Naturally Cordial, comes in 2 flavours: Lemon & Lime and Strawberry, Cucumber & Lime
    330ml @ €3.93

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Also back on Sunday is the Saturday Pizzas and Boerwurs sausages that posters previously recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

The cordial will be back on sale from Sunday 13th as part of the Grow with Aldi campaign. Naturally Cordial, comes in 2 flavours: Lemon & Lime and Strawberry, Cucumber & Lime
    330ml @ €3.93

Thank you, spotted it on the leaflet this week. I splashed out a few weeks ago and ordered a selection online. The raspberry and lemon is lovely:) but the lemon and lime is still my favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Dont know have they been mentioned but the little packets of flavoured dried peas..chickpeas and corn etc called "oh so delish" are nice! 89c at the moment. Sriracha,bbq and salted and spicy are the three i have seen.

Trying to snack less on sweets etc and these are doing the job.
    Probably gonna make them myself eventually but until then i shall be stocking up on these

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Dont know have they been mentioned but the little packets of flavoured dried peas..chickpeas and corn etc called "oh so delish" are nice! 89c at the moment. Sriracha,bbq and salted and spicy are the three i have seen.

Trying to snack less on sweets etc and these are doing the job.
    Probably gonna make them myself eventually but until then i shall be stocking up on these

They had bags about 10 times as big for 1.50 but they are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,164 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

rob316 wrote: »
    They had bags about 10 times as big for 1.50 but they are gone

Ahhhh no!
    Better go get me a bag of peas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also back on Sunday is the Saturday Pizzas and Boerwurs sausages that posters previously recommended.

Saw the Boerwurs sausages in Sandyford Aldi this evening. Didn't like them last time, too many pieces of knuckle/gristle, put me right off!!

Couldn't find the famous Saturday pizzas everyone was raving about :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

54and56 wrote:
    Couldn't find the famous Saturday pizzas everyone was raving about :-(

They go on sale on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I was in Aldi yesterday to get some things from the 'Grow with Aldi' selection, but got the days mixed up! :)

I noticed that cheap flour is back in stock. 2kg bags for 99c, I think.

I also saw that they have replaced the plastic bags for loose fruit and vegetables with compostable ones. I guess this will mean the end of having to buy these bags again for the brown bin?

Has anyone tried Skeeter's BBQ sauce? Is it good? What does 'New York Steakhouse' mean; what's the difference between it and the Original one?

I got a beautiful purple cast iron casserole dish for €25 yesterday. Time for autumn stews.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Got these today, just had one - very tasty but tbh they could do with being half the size....still, didn’t stop me from eating a whole one :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sorry attached the wrong photo - wanted to show the packaging!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

McMurphy wrote: »
    They have a pizza kit in stock, unsure if it's a new product, but I only noticed it this morning when in to pick up a few things.

It's in a pizza shaped box, inside you'll find 2 X individually packaged doughballs, a tub of sauce and some grated mozzarella. It costs €4.95.

Just made some for the kids to enjoy in the sunshine in the back yard.

My advice is to leave them alone, I usually make my own from their Sorrento pizza bases, pizza sauce from Tesco, and grated mozzarella/cheddar that Aldi sell and they turn out much much better than these were.

Had seen your warning but hadn't been in aldi in a while. They were marked down to half price with two days still on them so took a chance. Didn't use the cheese,used fresh mozzaella dried on kitchen towl. The sauce wasn't bad woud prefer mutti pizza sauce just tastes lighter and fresher.

Didn't think they were to bad not as good as my own fresh dough. Not as tasty as the Aldi parbaked sourdough but they cooked better and did rise a bit. Was actully quite resiliant and easy hand stretch. Would like to try them when the dough was fresher.

526247.jpg

Cooking them at 500°C probably helps!
    526248.jpg

leahyl wrote: »
    Sorry attached the wrong photo - wanted to show the packaging!

Oh my favourite, I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m in.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Oh my favourite, I’ll keep an eye out next time I’m in.

Pizza is total processed Junk food. Try the rooster potatoes. 48c for 1kg. Best value in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Tried the Walls Honest chips.
    Instructions on the back was 15 minutes at 220 degrees. Felt they were barely coooked after that so left them another 15, still all soggy and uncoked looking.
    gave them another 10, still looked very uncooked despite being piping hot. Ended up throwing them out.

Won't be getting them again!

• Advertisement

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Pizza is total processed Junk food. Try the rooster potatoes. 48c for 1kg. Best value in Ireland.

Sorry I meant the Cinnamon Buns

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Yyhhuuu wrote: »

Pizza and potatoes... apples and oranges... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

leahyl wrote: »
    Got these today, just had one - very tasty but tbh they could do with being half the size....still, didn’t stop me from eating a whole one :-p

I love cinnamon, but don't like the cinnamon swirls you get in most bakeries. These look good though, lots of filling based on the pictures. Could probably do with less icing but I'll have to try them!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Space Dog wrote: »
    I love cinnamon, but don't like the cinnamon swirls you get in most bakeries. These look good though, lots of filling based on the pictures. Could probably do with less icing but I'll have to try them!

In fairness they're a great buy, pack says microwave them for 10secs, but I recommend 15secs personally.

Great with a mug of coffee or tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

McMurphy wrote: »
    pack says microwave them for 10secs, but I recommend 15secs personally.
    A tip is to put a glass or bowl of water in the microwave at the same time, this way most of the microwaves go into the water and it heats the small item far more gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Couldn't find any of the Saturday pizzas stocked in Aldi Sandyford yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

54and56 wrote: »
    Couldn't find any of the Saturday pizzas stocked in Aldi Sandyford yesterday :(

https://www.facebook.com/saturdaypizzas/

Author
    Saturday Pizzas
    Grace Fairbairn they’ll be in all aldi’s at the end of September beginning of October

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can go on there site and see the stockists, it is mostly Cork though

https://saturdaypizzas.com/where-can-i-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone try these smoked chicken wings yet?

https://www.buynifood.com/node/3895

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,123 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Kamili wrote: »
    Tried the Walls Honest chips.
    Instructions on the back was 15 minutes at 220 degrees. Felt they were barely coooked after that so left them another 15, still all soggy and uncoked looking.
    gave them another 10, still looked very uncooked despite being piping hot. Ended up throwing them out.

Won't be getting them again!

That's terrible. You should have either turned your oven up higher or put the grill on. Either of these might have worked. The Specially selected Maris Piper crinkle cut chips in Aldi are lovely. You should try them next time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement