Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

anyone tried the spice box in aldi,it looks dry looking lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

bassy wrote: »
    anyone tried the spice box in aldi,it looks dry looking lol.

OH got it for me to try, was surprised it had chicken breast in it not chopped and shaped which I avoid, the chips were ok as was the rest but it does need a dip or a sauce to get it there. A bit more chicken would be nice as well.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    OH got it for me to try, was surprised it had chicken breast in it not chopped and shaped which I avoid, the chips were ok as was the rest but it does need a dip or a sauce to get it there. A bit more chicken would be nice as well.

cheers,could always buy a dip as well and throw in a bit more chicken etc

cheers,could always buy a dip as well and throw in a bit more chicken etc

Full disclosure, I did have a couple of beers before eating it:)

Full disclosure, I did have a couple of beers before eating it:)

oh jaysus lol lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

There's a sauce with it.

There's a sauce with it.

A good few months since I tried it so any sauce with it needed to be bigger or more memorable.

A good few months since I tried it so any sauce with it needed to be bigger or more memorable.

It's a small pot of curry sauce. Would agree it needs to be bigger in relation to the size of the box.

It's a small pot of curry sauce. Would agree it needs to be bigger in relation to the size of the box.

Put your opinion on it up

I tired the Spice Box but had to add onions to it and it had no peppers or chilis? It was ok but the spice cut through my stomach after and I usually eat very hot food, I don't know if it was cooked out properly in an oven whereas usually it would be fried out on a wok. The calorie count is very high too but would only be eating it instead of a takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I didn't like the Spice Box at all. I wasn't expecting it to be takeaway level of nice, but I thought it could be a bit like a homemade one. It wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I didn't like the Spice Box at all. I wasn't expecting it to be takeaway level of nice, but I thought it could be a bit like a homemade one. It wasn't.

I agree. The goujons meat was awful. I now use a spice mix from Lidl Irish Week and the shredded chicken from Aldi makes a good fake-away.

Cheers guys for ur opinions on the spice box,I think I will pass from what I've read on your views of it.thanks again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

AMKC wrote: »
    That's terrible. You should have either turned your oven up higher or put the grill on. Either of these might have worked. The Specially selected Maris Piper crinkle cut chips in Aldi are lovely. You should try them next time.

Oven was on the hottest setting for the most part and the onion rings that I had in at the same time actually started to burn. The chips themselves were soggy and really really unappetising. So into the bin they went.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Kamili wrote: »
    Oven was on the hottest setting for the most part and the onion rings that I had in at the same time actually started to burn. The chips themselves were soggy and really really unappetising. So into the bin they went.

Not a fan of those chips either. The skin on fries that have been recommended in this thread are very good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Space Dog wrote: »
    Not a fan of those chips either. The skin on fries that have been recommended in this thread are very good though.

What was the name on them again? I seriously need to start taking notes and making a list for myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the Carlos Pinsa the freezer section? It says it’s not a pizza, got the veg version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had their Persian tomatoes, lentil, chickpea and cauliflower bowl today, and it was absolutely savage.

€2.49 for a really healthy, filling and handy lunch. In to the microwave for 90 secs, stir, then back in for another 90 secs, and done.

I've had the Brazilian bean stew, African peanut etc etc dishes, but this one blew the rest out of the water.

Yeah - could have picked a better day weather wise for it, but I'm highly recommending regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Space Dog

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What was the name on them again? I seriously need to start taking notes and making a list for myself!!

These ones:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/skin-on-fries/p/703690373123900

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I tried the smoked salmon called Nicky's Plaice in the promote Irish Section. It was very good quality. The Saturday Pizzas are listed but I could not find any in my local Aldi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Cheers guys for ur opinions on the spice box,I think I will pass from what I've read on your views of it.thanks again...

This is a good recipe if you want to make your own - most of the ingredients are available in Aldi too.........

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/shows/sixoclockshow/article/1.65.1323.1324/295181/Chicken--Chip-Spice-Bag

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nc6000 wrote: »
    ingredients are available in Aldi too........
    It is missing MSG which I am pretty certain was in every spice bag or salt & chilli dish that I ever tried from a takeaway.

It tastes fine if you leave it out, but if you think there is something missing and you want to replicate the takeaways then give MSG a try. The mcdonnells mix has it

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=299963744

Ingredients
    Salt, Flavour Enhancer (Monosodium Glutamate), Onion Salt (Salt, Roasted Onion Extract), Five Spice (Fennel Seed, Cassia, Aniseed, Ginger, Clove), Chilli Flakes, Chilli Powder, Cinnamon, Cumin, Star Anise, Black Pepper

This one has it too but much further down the list, ingredients are listed in greatest % first.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=297739887

Breadcrumb [Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Salt, Wheat Gluten, Yeast, Ascorbic Acid], Salt, Chillies (11%), Sugar, Flavour Enhancer (E621), Garlic, Coriander (4%), Cayenne, Onion, Black Pepper, Aniseed, Star Anise, Parsley, Spices, Acidity Regulator (Lactic Acid)

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Re the soggy oven chips, you need to spread them out a good bit so hot air gets around them. If too crowded, you end up with steam (lower temp?) that does not crisp them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone try the Carlos Pinsa the freezer section? It says it’s not a pizza, got the veg version.

I did, fairly decent too. I like this and the flatbread but don't like any of their frozen pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Doing oven chips in an oven is obsolete these days when you can have a good Airfryer for 20-30 EUR. I have to force myself to cut back on those Aldi skin on fries, I was serving a fist of them with every dish. They're the current king of the store bought fries and dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

McMurphy wrote: »
    Had their Persian tomatoes, lentil, chickpea and cauliflower bowl today, and it was absolutely savage.

€2.49 for a really healthy, filling and handy lunch. In to the microwave for 90 secs, stir, then back in for another 90 secs, and done.

I've had the Brazilian bean stew, African peanut etc etc dishes, but this one blew the rest out of the water.

Yeah - could have picked a better day weather wise for it, but I'm highly recommending regardless.

where in aldi are they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

There Dairy Fine whole nut & fruit and nut bar is to die for. Also agree with the Skin on chips in the yellow bag. There sirloin steak award winning in the black box is about 8 or 9 euro matured for 30 days is beautiful also.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

fin12 wrote: »

It so is a pizza!!!

I've just demolished one of these (I was VERY hungry) - I'm very impressed overall. Lovely crispy base and lots of topping.

I had the salami one, and my only complaint was that the bbq sauce was far too sweet (and I say that as a lover of pineapple on pizza!). It tasted like a bottle of honey had leaked onto it!

I also got a rocket/ cheese one, and those skin-on fries, which I'm looking forward to trying.

No sign of the Saturdays pizzas in the shop I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Thargor wrote: »
    Doing oven chips in an oven is obsolete these days when you can have a good Airfryer for 20-30 EUR. I have to force myself to cut back on those Aldi skin on fries, I was serving a fist of them with every dish. They're the current king of the store bought fries and dirt cheap.

An air fryer isn't much good when your cooking for 4+
    Heat up the oven to its highest setting, put the chips evenly and we'll spaced out on 2 trays and into the oven, then turn down to 10 degrees higher than the packaging says. Half ways thru cooking swap the trays so both have equal time at the top.
    Easy peasy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Tried the Bo Rua cheddar cheese from the grow with Aldi range. Nice solid cheese, not crumbly like the specially selected one. Very tasty, will definitely buy again.

Advertisement