Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

fin12 wrote: »
    Anyone try the Carlos Pinsa the freezer section? It says it’s not a pizza, got the veg version.

Meant to post about this before. Absolutely lovely. It's like picking up a feather when you take it out of the oven but it's very filling when you dig in. I usually have their 32c garlic bread with it. They both end up ready at the same time so there's no messing about with the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,889 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Mammy's brown bread soon in Aldi
    Winner McCarthy will receive a cash prize of €15,000 and her bread will be available across Aldi's 143 Irish store network, in the coming weeks.
    https://www.checkout.ie/retail/aldi-announces-winner-national-brown-bread-baking-competition-109164

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Patsy167

zell12 wrote: »

Congratulations to her! Can't wait to try. How would you describe or compare it to McCains etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Wow! that is something to be really proud of throughout the family I'm sure! Cna't wait to try it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I was always happy with the bread out of this competition.

If that's your mam well done.

Will definitely try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Congrats to your mam! I look forward to trying it out :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Well done your Mam!

She spent lockdown perfecting the recipe. Could you taste the difference from the start v the end result? (or were you like, urgh, not brown bread again!) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

.red. wrote: »
    An air fryer isn't much good when your cooking for 4+
    Heat up the oven to its highest setting, put the chips evenly and we'll spaced out on 2 trays and into the oven, then turn down to 10 degrees higher than the packaging says. Half ways thru cooking swap the trays so both have equal time at the top.
    Easy peasy!

Plus you can put tinfoil down on the tray, hence no washing...happy days!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know a guy who got a second one because of this. Some skinny chips cook so fast you could put on a batch and be serving them up before people are finished their dinner. I guess you could also partially cook a batch to put back in.

If you take the basket out you can fit a lot more in most airfryers, but of course it might not cook as evenly.

Back on topic, I tried the triple cooked beef dripping chips, found them too dry, they were OK with ketchup, will try the regular skin on ones next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

Heat up the oven to its highest setting, put the chips evenly and we'll spaced out on 2 trays and into the oven, then turn down to 10 degrees higher than the packaging says. Half ways thru cooking swap the trays so both have equal time at the top.
    Easy peasy!
    rubadub wrote: »
    I know a guy who got a second one because of this. Some skinny chips cook so fast you could put on a batch and be serving them up before people are finished their dinner. I guess you could also partially cook a batch to put back in.

If you take the basket out you can fit a lot more in most airfryers, but of course it might not cook as evenly.

Back on topic, I tried the triple cooked beef dripping chips, found them too dry, they were OK with ketchup, will try the regular skin on ones next.

Invested in the two drawer Ninja when it was on offer.

It’s great.

That said the pro-breeze cheap one I had did a big basket of chips for whole family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭54and56

This 7.6L Ninja dual AirFryer will.

lYAAd6M.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

54and56 wrote: »
    This 7.6L Ninja dual AirFryer will.

lYAAd6M.png

It's an incredible machine. Quicks things so quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I was getting a large one I think I would prefer a single basket. I wanted to be able to do large whole chickens and pizza.

I would have uses for the dual temperatures though.

If you get a standard medium size pizza it can be cut in 3 and done in a standard size airfryer 1 at a time.

In 3 like this
    screen-shot-2017-01-20-at-10-12-14-am.png?1484936644

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thargor wrote: »
    Doing oven chips in an oven is obsolete these days when you can have a good Airfryer for 20-30 EUR. I have to force myself to cut back on those Aldi skin on fries, I was serving a fist of them with every dish. They're the current king of the store bought fries and dirt cheap.

Definitely this, I found myself eating them with roast lamb and gravy last week, the veg in the fridge just got ignored :o

They are a great chip though, for years any frozen chips I bought were just okay and passable but with these skin on ones I'll go back to them time and time again..

No Saturday pizzas in my local branch yesterday either but I did pick this up for 1.39, I think it is newish or at least I hadnt noticed it before. Anyway it seems to be Aldis clone of Dominoes garlic and cheese pizza bread, it is pretty identical to it. Had it with the Heinz turkish style garlic sauce and it was a match made in heaven. Fits perfectly in the airfryer too and only takes 4-5 mins from cold.

0_Carlos-Garlic-Bread.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

No Saturday pizzas in 3 stores I visited yest - naas, athy and Kildare town

I’m beginning to think they are only in selected stores ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Actually can anyone confirm if they bought a Saturday pizza in aldi recently?

They were advertised as being “in store” sept 14

No Saturday pizzas in 3 stores I visited yest - naas, athy and Kildare town

I’m beginning to think they are only in selected stores ?

It sounds like it. Was the same the last time out when they did the Grow with Aldi promotion- they had falafel burgers on it which I really wanted to try out but 3 stores later and not a falafel burger in sight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Heading to an Aldi shortly, will take a look for them and report back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

My Sweet Chickpea : Cappuccino Dark Chocolate Roasted Chickpeas
    Bought these on a whim (I like a snack that pretends to be healthy)
    They're incredible - imagine darker chocolate peanut M&Ms, in a coffee flavour sugar shell
    There were other flavours too but the coffee one caught my eye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Recliner

Muahahaha wrote: »
    No Saturday pizzas in my local branch yesterday either but I did pick this up for 1.39, I think it is newish or at least I hadnt noticed it before. Anyway it seems to be Aldis clone of Dominoes garlic and cheese pizza bread, it is pretty identical to it. Had it with the Heinz turkish style garlic sauce and it was a match made in heaven. Fits perfectly in the airfryer too and only takes 4-5 mins from cold.

0_Carlos-Garlic-Bread.jpg

God that looks unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

No sign in the Newlands Cross one anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I enquired in the Palmerstown shop the other day, and the girl didn't know what i was on about at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

dee_mc wrote: »
    My Sweet Chickpea : Cappuccino Dark Chocolate Roasted Chickpeas
    Bought these on a whim (I like a snack that pretends to be healthy)
    They're incredible - imagine darker chocolate peanut M&Ms, in a coffee flavour sugar shell
    There were other flavours too but the coffee one caught my eye!

Where abouts did you find them? Sounds just like my cup of tea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    It so is a pizza!!!

I've just demolished one of these (I was VERY hungry) - I'm very impressed overall. Lovely crispy base and lots of topping.

I had the salami one, and my only complaint was that the bbq sauce was far too sweet (and I say that as a lover of pineapple on pizza!). It tasted like a bottle of honey had leaked onto it!

I also got a rocket/ cheese one, and those skin-on fries, which I'm looking forward to trying.

No sign of the Saturdays pizzas in the shop I was in.

Had the rocket one this evening..... maybe it was too soon after the other one, maybe I wasn't hungry enough this time - but it was decidedly meh. Not crispy at all, and fairly flavourless. Won't be getting that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I only go to Aldi for fish. Wonderful cod.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I only go to Aldi for fish. Wonderful cod.

I like their smoked coley. No bones or chewy bits like some have. Smoked mackerel is good too.

And I notice the Aldi cans of mushy peas are proper mushy peas, not like some other watery ones with scant peas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

has the price of the aldi skin on fries increased?,i paid 1.49 a bag on friday and im sure weeks back the were a lot cheaper?,maybe im imagining it ??.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

bassy wrote: »
    has the price of the aldi skin on fries increased?,i paid 1.49 a bag on friday and im sure weeks back the were a lot cheaper?,maybe im imagining it ??.

I paid 1.29 about 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭bassy

I paid 1.29 about 2 weeks ago.

1.49 i paid on friday,interesting to hear from others what there currently paying for these chips.

Advertisement