Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Scratching my head here as I could have sworn I paid 1.59 for them. Ive definitely never seen them at 1.29, that might have been an introductory offer from when they were new but my store didnt get them in until about a month after they came out.

Im typically getting 4 portions from the bag which I think is 800g

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

OH got them today €1.49, but had to get them to check in the back because no sign or stock in the freezer. No Saturday Pizza or the Garlic Pizza bread side either in stock.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Where abouts did you find them? Sounds just like my cup of tea!

I found them with other random food items beside the remaining specials from several weeks ago - I've no idea whether they were a recent thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,678 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I enquired in the Palmerstown shop the other day, and the girl didn't know what i was on about at all.

Same. I Enquired in athy and Kildare the other day and both times they said “Saturday pizza? Eh what?”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

BWG I believe handle distribution in certain parts. My local shop enquired. Not available in this area at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Meant to post about this before. Absolutely lovely. It's like picking up a feather when you take it out of the oven but it's very filling when you dig in. I usually have their 32c garlic bread with it. They both end up ready at the same time so there's no messing about with the oven.

I tried this Pinsa the other day and found it just ok. Found it a bit stodgy.

I've tried 4 times for the Saturday pizza and no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Just a heads up. I went looking for those skin on fries today. None there,I asked a chap there and he told me they were discontinued.
    I went to another store and got a few bags. If you want them get them quick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just a heads up. I went looking for those skin on fries today. None there,I asked a chap there and he told me they were discontinued.

Noooooo!!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ok let the campaign begin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭robwen

Ah no why would they discontinue a clearly popular so I assume profitable product

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Those cinnamon buns are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭pigtail33

robwen wrote: »
    Ah no why would they discontinue a clearly popular so I assume profitable product

It might be to clear freezer space for their Christmas range. It often happens this time of year. I don't know how they decide which products to ditch for the few months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pigtail33 wrote: »
    It might be to clear freezer space for their Christmas range.

The seeded brioche burger buns and hot dog buns might disappear soon too as they are usually seasonal, the plain burger buns are all year round. They have a very long shelf life so you can stock up.

Thats a real shame if the skin on fries are going. Im not gone on any of the other fries they have, they're all about 6/10. Its good news for my veg consumption though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Did the skin fries last night which I love so I'm not happy they are going! Did them with the famous chicken thigh burgers. Got the southern fried ones. Had the flaming hot ones previously and enjoyed them. Have to say the burgers were revolting. Ended up dumping them.

Doesnt surprise me about the chicken thigh burgers, stopped buying them about six months ago when they changed them up and started using cheap stringy chicken in them. Shame as they were nice when they first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

McCains Skin On fries are perfection and available in Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalu etc but its €4.75 for the same size bag!

Crucials garlic & herb is back, and chilli & garlic. 1.19 each

Thargor wrote: »
    McCains Skin On fries are perfection and available in Tesco/Dunnes/Supervalu etc but its €4.75 for the same size bag!

Thats a mad price compared to 1.49 for the Aldi version. I always think with name brands that about a quarter of the price is made up by the expensive prime time TV ads they screen to try to get you to buy it in the first place.

Anyway I picked up another bag of the skin on fries in my local earlier. Only for I was on the motorbike I would have stocked up with more before they go out of stock, will miss them when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Got the Don Carlos garlic pizza bread side yesterday and have to wonder how the Don Carlos stuffed crust pizza's can be such pile of crap in comparison. The skin on fries go well with the garlic bread side and a lasagne. A pity when a chain puts out a few great items and then discontinues them.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »

Yeah, they are only 700g it could be cheaper going to a chipper. Chipper chips reheat very well in an airfryer, sometimes come out better than when fresh. Typical chipper bag is 400-450g.

I posted the images and the aldi is definitely trying to copy the mccains, so much so that the other day I nearly used some by accident as somebody in the house bought the mccains!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Think that chap was mistaken, new full stock of Skin on Fries in Aldi Sandyford this morning.

etGYDx2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

54and56 wrote: »
    Think that chap was mistaken, new full stock of Skin on Fries in Aldi Sandyford this morning.

etGYDx2.jpg

They are 95p in UK, that works out at €1.05

Big difference in what they charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Skin on fries being discontinued alright, Aldi customer service confirmed it and said being replaced and gave a new product number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Esse85 wrote: »
    Skin on fries being discontinued alright, Aldi customer service confirmed it and said being replaced and gave a new product number.

Sad day.........

Why get shut of such a popular chip and great seller

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

bassy wrote: »
    Sad day.........

Why get shut of such a popular chip and great seller

Not a profitable product or can't secure a sustainable supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Emailed my dismay to aldi customer services anyway. In a nice, pleady kind of way not in an angry giving out way...

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Emailed my dismay to aldi customer services anyway. In a nice, pleady kind of way not in an angry giving out way...

Did that before with a discontinued product, you'll just get a standard email back saying sorry but we hope you can enjoy all our other products, etc, etc. They're used to people complaining when they discontinue products but they just do it anyway :(

As someone else said it might be because they are making way for Christmas products. If thats the case we can only hope that they re-appear in January

• Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did that before with a discontinued product, you'll just get a standard email back saying sorry but we hope you can enjoy all our other products, etc, etc. They're used to people complaining when they discontinue products but they just do it anyway :(

As someone else said it might be because they are making way for Christmas products. If thats the case we can only hope that they re-appear in January
    I did the same for the chilli sauce with dried spices in the lid a few years ago (nicest chilli sauce ever!) to absolutely no avail :(

Having only just discovered the skin on fries, I'm fierce disappointed they're going! Might try to snaffle another bag tomorrow..... although my freezer is stuffed full!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Well they just got back to say it's been replaced with a new brand skin on fries product so we'll see the craic I guess.

edit: and now i have a further response saying the new skin on product will be from the same suppliers so...

Advertisement