Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aye. Have seen it in plenty of deli's as well unfortunately.

yeah would say most deli meat is non-EU produced, chicken 'fillets' are really just reformed chicken from all parts of the bird. Also I remember a few years back there was a ban on selling Irish pork and delis were still selling breakfast rolls with signs up saying there's no need to worry because our sausages and rashers arent even Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

At least now you know what comes from Ireland, what comes from EU and what is cheap crap meat from Brazil, Thailand or whenever.

Years ago you wouldn't even know.

Many products now are clearly with Irish meat, but given the processing standards you just have to accept it isn't the greatest meat, more like water injected formed and shaped pulp anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Picked one up based on your recommendation and it was by far the best of that range, thanks for the tip - I didn't notice there was a new one before this post.

Yep I had one yesterday for my lunch and reassured myself that I wasn't just codding myself with the first one, they're savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭gooner99

Spotted the Saturday margarita pizza an Aldi for the first time Today. Must say it was lovely, best frozen pizza for sure. There were only two left, sorry I didn't buy the second one. Might never see them in store again.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Yep I had one yesterday for my lunch and reassured myself that I wasn't just codding myself with the first one, they're savage.

I searched for them today and couldn't find them, I tried by the coleslaw etc. and also near the wraps and sandwiches..twice ☺️, where are they? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I searched for them today and couldn't find them, I tried by the coleslaw etc. and also near the wraps and sandwiches..twice ☺️, where are they? Thanks
    They're in the same place as the sandwiches/wraps etc. in my local one. Might vary from store to store, I was in Fonthill yesterday and they had none of that range at all, was the same last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Is it just me or have the Kavanaghs organic porridge oats changed?
    I though that they were jumbo oats previously but now they seem to be regular porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Had their Persian tomatoes, lentil, chickpea and cauliflower bowl today, and it was absolutely savage.

€2.49 for a really healthy, filling and handy lunch. In to the microwave for 90 secs, stir, then back in for another 90 secs, and done.

I've had the Brazilian bean stew, African peanut etc etc dishes, but this one blew the rest out of the water.

Yeah - could have picked a better day weather wise for it, but I'm highly recommending regardless.

Note to self: buy this :D

Is it spicy, McMurphy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

pcasso wrote: »
    Is it just me or have the Kavanaghs organic porridge oats changed?
    I though that they were jumbo oats previously but now they seem to be regular porridge.

That's exactly what I was just thinking this week. Much smaller oats than previously

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Daisies wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was just thinking this week. Much smaller oats than previously

Less creamy too, devastated :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Less creamy too, devastated :(

I got stung with this as well, but the jumbo oats are still there, the packets just look exactly the same but some say 'jumbo' in blue writing...

Note to self: buy this :D

Is it spicy, McMurphy?

Yeah there's a definite kick off them for sure, definitely chilli in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I got stung with this as well, but the jumbo oats are still there, the packets just look exactly the same but some say 'jumbo' in blue writing...
    Thanks. I went out and got two of the regular ones.:mad:
    Let's hope that they are going to continue with both lines and not phasing out the jumbo oats

I was just in Aldi Newlands Cross (Dublin) and they have the Saturday pizzas, saw 3 margheritas and 1 pepperoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

I was just in Aldi Newlands Cross (Dublin) and they have the Saturday pizzas, saw 3 margheritas and 1 pepperoni.

How much are they?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    How much are they?
    €4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Suckit wrote: »

On a side note, the Red Pepper and Mozarella parcels are really nice for anyone that mightn't have tried them :)
    VVSRZNp.jpeg

Yep. I love those with mashed potatoes.
    Their veggie stuff really blow SuperValu and Lidl out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

Got one of each in Sandyford yesterday purely out of curiosity.

Can't see them being a regular purchase as for €5 I can make two of the stoneground/sourdough bases they sell separately with fresh mozzarella, the specially selected chorizo (which is really good) and fresh basil etc

Was in Aldi yesterday picking up the ingredients to make a batch of seafood chowder. I normally just get their fresh fish mix which has cod, haddock and salmon in it and go with that for the soup. Picked up a packet of that but also in the freezers I saw this product, not sure if it is new or not but it has mussels, king prawns and squid rings in it. They're already cooked so you only need to defrost and add a couple of each to the finished seafood chowder

fish1.jpg

Just finished the first bowl of chowder with six different types of fish in it and a crusty white buttered roll to dunk in the soup, it was nice and warming on a cold day like today. Its a handy product to have in the freezer because you're not going to buy fresh mussels, squid and prawns just to make some chowder but its good to have them in it if you can.

Also there was another product in the same section of the freezer with the same packaging as above called Fish Pie Mix. Not sure what the types of fish that were in it as I didnt have my glasses to read the tiny print but one of the fish was orange in colour so it was likely smoked haddock or coley. Would be handy for anyone planning to make a fish pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Was in Aldi yesterday picking up the ingredients to make a batch of seafood chowder. I normally just get their fresh fish mix which has cod, haddock and salmon in it and go with that for the soup. Picked up a packet of that but also in the freezers I saw this product, not sure if it is new or not but it has mussels, king prawns and squid rings in it. They're already cooked so you only need to defrost and add a couple of each to the finished seafood chowder

fish1.jpg

Just finished the first bowl of chowder with six different types of fish in it and a crusty white buttered roll to dunk in the soup, it was nice and warming on a cold day like today. Its a handy product to have in the freezer because you're not going to buy fresh mussels, squid and prawns just to make some chowder but its good to have them in it if you can.

Also there was another product in the same section of the freezer with the same packaging as above called Fish Pie Mix. Not sure what the types of fish that were in it as I didnt have my glasses to read the tiny print but one of the fish was orange in colour so it was likely smoked haddock or coley. Would be handy for anyone planning to make a fish pie.

That's good to know, I'll have a look today. Have you got the recipe for the chowder you make please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

gooner99 wrote: »
    Spotted the Saturday margarita pizza an Aldi for the first time Today. Must say it was lovely, best frozen pizza for sure. There were only two left, sorry I didn't buy the second one. Might never see them in store again.

Yeah, I'm having it here now (there were plenty left in Bettystown) and it's very nice. Dunno if it's €5 nice, but I'm glad I have it a chance. Will probably stick to my usual €2.50 BBQ meat stuffed crust pizza going forward unless I really fancy a treat.

Also, there is a large sized version of the new Garlic Pizza Bread now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just went to make the kids breakfast with the Instant Porridge oats (in the tub) , knew immediately they were different, and cooked theY look terrible. Huge lumps of oat stil left, looks so unappetizing. Kids will be delighted they get away with cereal this morning though! It’s the one thing annoying about ALDI, how products still are in the same packaging but can change and be utterly different (usually worse!)

54and56 wrote: »
    Got one of each in Sandyford yesterday purely out of curiosity.

Can't see them being a regular purchase as for €5 I can make two of the stoneground/sourdough bases they sell separately with fresh mozzarella, the specially selected chorizo (which is really good) and fresh basil etc

Lads they'd want to be very good pizzas for a fiver, like seriously, a 9" Margherita from my local pizzeria is €5.

Davexirl wrote: »
    That's good to know, I'll have a look today. Have you got the recipe for the chowder you make please?

Yeah sure. I make it in batches because just making one or two bowls of chowder is a lot of work for a single meal. This will yield about 5 to 6 decent sized bowls

In a large pot or Instant Pot-
    Fry 125g bacon or pancetta for 3 minutes, remove & set aside
    Next add I diced onion, soften for 3 minutes then some herbs- parsely & dill work well here
    Then chop and add 3 potatoes
    1 carrot
    I litre of hot water with two Knorr fish stock cubes dissolved in it.
    The traditional recipe also has a glass of white wine in it, if you've got that use it too, if not its fine.

Then simmer for 20 minutes or if doing in the Instant Pot just press the soup setting, it takes about 10 minutes under pressure. Next blend it all before re-adding the bacon/pancetta. You end up with a very thick chowder so thin it out to the consistency you like by adding cream if you have it but milk is fine too or else just some hot water.

Thats the base for seafood chowder, from there you have enough for 5-6 good size bowls. I freeze most of them and then its just a matter of re-heating them and adding whatever fish you are using, as said I use the Aldi fresh seafood mix which is usually cod, salmon and smoked haddok/coley, this needs to be chopped smaller. Just warm the chowder in a saucepan and when it is hot add the fresh fish and cook for 3 minutes and its done and best served with some hot crusty bread and butter.

If using the frozen mussels, king prawns and squid just defrost them before adding them at the end as they're already cooked. Over cooked squid rings turn into rubber and are inedible so only add them at the very end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Lads they'd want to be very good pizzas for a fiver, like seriously, a 9" Margherita from my local pizzeria is €5.

I agree. The price of the Saturday pizzas is off-putting tbh. I saw them in stock in my local Aldi last week, but couldn't justify the price. (Although, I suppose the "don't knock it until you try it" idiom may apply :p).

As an alternative, I think the fresh sourdough pizzas from Lidl, for instance, taste really nice. I especially like the chargrilled vegetable and pesto variation. They're approximately twice the size and retail at €3.99 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

They are the best frozen pizzas I've tried. I'm sure making one yourself or ordering one might be nicer but for me they are worth it for the convenience. I got home the other night after a long days work and had a fresh tasting pizza ready in five minutes. Can't beat that.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

I wish they'd bring back the Specially Selected Stone Baked pizzas, those were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I've been getting a good bit of milage from their Specially selected fishcakes, especially the Thai/Prawn combo (spicy!)

20 mins in the oven, some new potatos and a salad - simple healthy meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Used the fresh lasagna pasta sheets this evening. Wasn't that impressed, you don't get a whole lot and the sheets all stuck together and tore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Have the Kavanagh's Jumbo Oats reduced in size? Were they 1kg before and now only 750g? Maybe I'm mad but it feels like they are. Shoddy and sneaky if so.

Advertisement