Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Their full chickens have the bord bia quality mark,unless it has that I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

whiskeyman wrote: »
    How much cheaper are Brazilian chickens?

Cheap enough that close to all food service chicken (delis, and ingredients for convenience food) is Brazilian or Thai. In the Thai case they mostly eat dark meat over there so the white meat is surplus to domestic requirements - we sell dark meat and offal (feet etc) to S.E. Asia!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I occasionally get the pre-made wraps in Aldi.
    Got the Sweet Chilli one today... lovely as ever.
    Big 'Produced in Ireland' sticker on it.
    Yes - I know this means the ingredients could be sourced elsewhere, but I double checked the back.

'Produced in Ireland using Brazilian chickens'.
    WTF??
    Must be so cheap it's still worth while shipping them in :s
    Not sure I'll get it again... would much rather Irish chickens!

It'and common knowledge the EU legalisation allows Thai or other imported chickens to be branded made in EU or Ireland if part of the process is done here. Whole unprocessed chicken will have a lot more exat information of origin than something with breadcrumbs. Then you can be only sure where the breadcrumbs were added to.

The same goes for other meats and other supermarket or non supermarket branded products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Ick, makes me glad that I don't go in for the classic hot chicken roll type lunch :)

Anyhoo, just wanted to check if anyone buys the Almond Milk in Aldi? The last 2 times I've been to my local, they've had tonnes of the sweetened version, but none of the unseweetened version which is what I'd be after.

Am I just being unlucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Ick, makes me glad that I don't go in for the classic hot chicken roll type lunch :)

Anyhoo, just wanted to check if anyone buys the Almond Milk in Aldi? The last 2 times I've been to my local, they've had tonnes of the sweetened version, but none of the unseweetened version which is what I'd be after.

Am I just being unlucky?

I'd be interested in this too. I haven't been in Aldi lately, but I've scoured Lidl for unsweetened almond milk and no sign.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

chuckles30 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this too. I haven't been in Aldi lately, but I've scoured Lidl for unsweetened almond milk and no sign.

Aldi definitely sell it in theory, because the lable for it is on the shelf, just no sign of it when I've actually gone to try to buy it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

I got the unsweetened almond milk in Aldi at Newlands Cross on Sunday. A few cartons there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I occasionally get the pre-made wraps in Aldi.
    Got the Sweet Chilli one today... lovely as ever.
    Big 'Produced in Ireland' sticker on it.
    Yes - I know this means the ingredients could be sourced elsewhere, but I double checked the back.

'Produced in Ireland using Brazilian chickens'.
    WTF??
    Must be so cheap it's still worth while shipping them in :s
    Not sure I'll get it again... would much rather Irish chickens!

Much cheaper because their warm steady climate means they do not need enclosed insulated housing, and therefore no heating costs, nor ventilation costs. For example, to rear chicken in Europe most houses are heated by Calor Gas or equivalent, and need computerized ventilation controls. If the electric power went off at night (storm or fault etc) all ventilation flaps are designed to open to allow air in or the chickens could suffocate because the fans would have stopped. Energy costs are almost equal to feed costs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Clancy's roasted and salted pistachio nuts are delicious, less than €2 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

My favourites from Aldi are the BBQ meats, chicken skewers, their angus burgers (2 pack), duck breasts. I buy them now for the week and freeze them rather than buying frozen food (trying to shop juts once a week if I can). The brioche buns are good. The irish cheeses and the French cheeses good too. I find the special offer fruit and veg bad value, they go off very quickly. I used to do my weekly shop in LIDL cos it had better wine and bread but now I make all our bread and we stocked up in wine in France so I tend to do one week in LIDL and one in ALDI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Has anyone tried their Chicken Burgers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Zelda247 wrote: »

Yep, I tried the peppered ones and they were nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Those mini beef burgers they have are amazing, well tasty little chunks of meat ! even have mini bundies to go with them !

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Zelda247 wrote:

The sweet chilli ones are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

My favorite Aldi product this week are the black work trousers at 9.99!
    Now have four pairs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Curry sauces in the jars - **** ya
    Hallumi cheese and other is very good
    Pizza dough base and passata too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Is aldi anti dandruff shampoo good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Getting fed up of no 85% chocolate in my local one. They don't even have the 70%!

fin12 wrote: »

OH uses it and said it's as good as head and shoulders

OH uses it and said it's as good as head and shoulders

Bought one today so see how it goes, never really get dandruff but my scalp got burned on holidays and I've got dandruff now.

• Advertisement

Bought one today so see how it goes, never really get dandruff but my scalp got burned on holidays and I've got dandruff now.

Hmmm if it got burned I would actually stay away from an anti-dandruff one for a time and get a sulfate free shampoo instead. It will be much gentler and help your scalp heal.

Hmmm if it got burned I would actually stay away from an anti-dandruff one for a time and get a sulfate free shampoo instead. It will be much gentler and help your scalp heal.

Thanks, I have Elave sensitive shampoo which is sulfate free, I'm just having a lot of trouble with my hair, there's no shampoo really that works anymore, my hair just gets greasy so quick, I don't use conditioner anymore and use really light shampoos like clarifying shampoos but it doesn't matter I end up having to use dry shampoo even after I've just washed and dried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

fin12 wrote:

It's Head & Shoulders above the named brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That would be dead skin slewing off, not dandruff.

Most 'anti dandruff' shampoos do absolutely feck all. There's various different causes that have different treatments, e.g. fungal dandruff can be killed by ketoconazole shampoo etc. Most 'anti dandruff' ones have some zinc in them and that's it - they aren't going to treat any real causes of dandruff.

And no, you can't eat them (getting back on topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I tried the frozen stuffed chicken breast, I think its called Oakham. Good price but not great quality I am afraid and barely feeds 2 (advertised for 3/4 people).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Aldi's Jam & Cream biscuits are much nicer than the original Jammy Dodgers imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

RasTa wrote: »
    Getting fed up of no 85% chocolate in my local one. They don't even have the 70%!
    I think there is a purchasing problem: the 85% chocolate comes in a carton with some other types, but sells faster than the others. Sometimes they seem to hold back on restocking until people buy the other stuff.

I think they should arrange a different mix with their suppliers.

There are similar patterns with some other lines, and I see the same sort of issue in Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I absolutely love their chicken burgers - I love cooking all sorts of different cuisines but to be honest, their chicky burgers are my favourite dinner :o

Both the sweet chili/lime and mixed pepper ones are delicious - the way I do them is to fry off some onion til it is lightly caramelized, fry the burger at the same time, towards the end I add a slice of pineapple to the pan so it gets lightly caramelized on both sides.

When the burger is cooked on both sides I top it with some maasdam cheese which I let melt, and then put it into a lightly toasted soft white roll (not a burger bun, they are mostly nasty and dry) with some burger sauce at the bottom, then the fried onion, then cheese-topped burger, then pineapple slice, chopped lettuce, more burger sauce, top bun.

It so fecking nice and every ingredient comes from aldi, so shopping is easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

I tried the frozen stuffed chicken breast, I think its called Oakham. Good price but not great quality I am afraid and barely feeds 2 (advertised for 3/4 people).

Do you think the chicken meat is Irish though?
    If a producer adds something to the meat, eg breadcrumbs, they can claim it's "produced in Ireland" even if the meat came from Thailand.

A few pages back someone explained it. I only buy the pure meat now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think there is a purchasing problem: the 85% chocolate comes in a carton with some other types, but sells faster than the others. Sometimes they seem to hold back on restocking until people buy the other stuff.

I think they should arrange a different mix with their suppliers.

There are similar patterns with some other lines, and I see the same sort of issue in Lidl.
    Exact same things happens with the jars of Specially Selected Apple Sauce I put on my pork chops, the box is 50% Apple 50% Cranberry! So you're left looking at a shelf full of cranberry sauce for weeks on end waiting for the jars of apple to reappear and sell out in 48 hours...

Advertisement