Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

The Deli Chicken and Bacon pate says to consume within 2 days after opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I was nearby so went back to Aldi to check.

All of the packets of pate I looked at said to use within 2 days of opening.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

fin12 wrote: »
    The Atlantic wheaten goes moldy pretty quick if u don’t eat it before the bb date, 2nd day after bb it’s gone moldy. I have been lucky before and got it where the bb date is 3 days or 4 but bb date the next day, way too short.

If you mainly toast your bread keep it in the fridge. It will last at least a week and stay fresh as long as it's wrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BloodBath wrote: »
    If you mainly toast your bread keep it in the fridge. It will last at least a week and stay fresh as long as it's wrapped.

I can't give you the science behind it, but I've always heard you should never put bread in the fridge - either keep it at room temp or freeze it properly.

Personally (because it's just me eating it), all bread gets sliced and most of it bunged straight into the freezer, and I eat it by the portion out of there. Also stops me gorging on fresh bread and butter, which I would do all day if let!!

Back on topic, that wheaten bread is lovely - only spotted it recently, and remembered you all raving about it on here. I'll be getting it again. Lovely with a bowl of homemade soup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Sorry, I thought it might last 3. Not to worry now, you have your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Melted a few slices of the caramelised red onion cheddar cheese truckle on top of a smashburger earlier, it is tasty stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

2nd weeks in a row I've gotten the beef stir fry and the meat is rotten 2 days before it's use by date

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Without getting into the realms of food safety advice, pretty much every packaged foodstuff ever has a label saying to use within 2-3 days of opening. It's the food equivalent of "Dry clean only" labels on clothes, i.e. spectacularly precautionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I have to pick up more chicken sausages, they are seriously good. I also noticed that the peanut and broccoli salad wasn't there but that was a different store I tried though. I like the hotdogs too you just heat in the microwave, they wouldn't be the healthiest but handy for a quick lunch.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I have to pick up more chicken sausages, they are seriously good. I also noticed that the peanut and broccoli salad wasn't there but that was a different store I tried though. I like the hotdogs too you just heat in the microwave, they wouldn't be the healthiest but handy for a quick lunch.

I have never in my life had a chicken sausage, but now I might be tempted...
    I'm also definitely going to try to make my own peanut and broccoli salad, so good and healthy.

I love the frozen yellowfin sole from Aldi. Lidl seem to have stopped doing their version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Anyone have an opinion on a rolled and boned turkey? Aldi will have some in stock from the 20th. I'll be cooking for 3-5 people this Christmas and looking at alternatives to the full bird. Also want to make life easier on myself. Never tried rolled and boned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had a look myself and it said that on all the ones I checked too, but 'real' pate is definitely good for up to a week, so they may just be being over cautious. But if it says it, I wouldn't risk it (probably wouldn't buy it that short).
    My mother used to make it for a business, which is how she had/has recipes etc..
    A similar company to these:
    https://3pigs.com/heritage/faqs
    Her place was bought out and merged with others. It still exists in some forms.

Regardless, if the Aldi one spoils quicker, then follow their recommendations.

~~~~~~~~~~~

The pastry parcels are back in my Aldi, - red pepper and the other asparagus ones. I bought them in case they go again. They also had Butternut Squash ones that I hadn't seen before and mushroom ones that I think are part of christmas stock. They are nice. but I think also a lot of calories.. :(

There was a lot of seafood offers today, I didn't get a good look at anything that I fancied.
    I also wanted to get a bottle of the New Zealand Freemans Bay Sauvignon Blanc that they recommend and a friend said it was lovely too, but I couldn't see it anywhere and the alcohol section was busyish with a till queue forming into it, so I left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

2nd weeks in a row I've gotten the beef stir fry and the meat is rotten 2 days before it's use by date

Always give the pack a good squeeze before you pop it into your basket. If there's any bit of give it means there's a pin hole somewhere and the meat will loose freshness very quick.
    If the seal is good there's usually no reason for it to turn if its in the fridge. Did you bring it back unopened to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They are selling Canoli's at the minute, they've a hazelnut chocolate version (looks like a small croissant) and a white chocolate version (like rolls of pastry with filling)

I bought a packet of each last night for "research purposes", and can confirm they're both delicious.

The white chocolate one has the edge.

Absolutely delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

.red. wrote: »
    Always give the pack a good squeeze before you pop it into your basket. If there's any bit of give it means there's a pin hole somewhere and the meat will loose freshness very quick.
    If the seal is good there's usually no reason for it to turn if its in the fridge. Did you bring it back unopened to them?

Yeah you're right about the sealing, I only noticed most of the meat had turned brown and stank after I opened it. I know I'm well within my rights to bring it back but I couldn't be bothered for the €1.80 refund they'd give me. I remember years ago I had to stop buying mince in Aldi for 6 months because they had a problem with the packs not being sealed properly and going rotten even while sitting in their own fridges.

McMurphy wrote: »
    They are selling Canoli's at the minute, they've a hazelnut chocolate version (looks like a small croissant) and a white chocolate version (like rolls of pastry with filling)

I bought a packet of each last night for "research purposes", and can confirm they're both delicious.

The white chocolate one has the edge.

Absolutely delicious.

Forgot to upload photo.

IMG-20201216-120947.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Forgot to upload photo.

IMG-20201216-120947.jpg

I also will try these for ‘research purposes’ :)

Where are they located, McMurphy? I’m assuming in the fridge....?

I actually found a link for them online (https://shop.diforti.com/shop/food/diforti-pastries/diforti-sicilian-cannoli-filled-with-hazelnuts-chocolate-cream-150g/) from the company that makes them :D

I also will try these for ‘research purposes’ :)

Where are they located, McMurphy? I’m assuming in the fridge....?

I actually found a link for them online (https://shop.diforti.com/shop/food/diforti-pastries/diforti-sicilian-cannoli-filled-with-hazelnuts-chocolate-cream-150g/) from the company that makes them :D

In my local, they're in the middle aisle, I think the very first section from where the tills are, opposite the spring water etc.

So if you're facing the back of the store, water would be on your right, they're on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Anyone have an opinion on a rolled and boned turkey? Aldi will have some in stock from the 20th. I'll be cooking for 3-5 people this Christmas and looking at alternatives to the full bird. Also want to make life easier on myself. Never tried rolled and boned before.

I think it is rolled large turkey breast. Definitely easier to cook than whole bird. I think they were around 800g-1kg last year... Should be enough if you are not big fans of turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

wonski wrote: »
    I think it is rolled large turkey breast. Definitely easier to cook than whole bird. I think they were around 800g-1kg last year... Should be enough if you are not big fans of turkey.

Sounds ideal for us this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Space Dog wrote: »
    They only do a mixed pack now - 6 prawn and 6 veg gyoza. They are my favourite Aldi item, we always stock up - got 5 packs for the freezer when we finally found them.

Got two packs yesterday. You must have raided the first aldi I tried! :P They are mixed in with Thai crab cakes on the shelf this year.

Do you let them defrost before steaming them? Pack says they can be microwaved from frozen but I ain't doing that to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Ryath wrote: »
    Got two packs yesterday. You must have raided the first aldi I tried! :P They are mixed in with Thai crab cakes on the shelf this year.

Do you let them defrost before steaming them? Pack says they can be microwaved from frozen but I ain't doing that to them!

You snooze, you lose! :pac:
    We usually defrost them but we've also pan-fried and steamed them straight from the freezer, no difference be honest. We don't use the microwave, they go into the pan frozen and are fried and steamed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Got the Atlantic Wheaten today and nice long bb date on it, 4 days.

Oh if anyone spots the panna cotta wreath that supposed to be coming in, can u post here please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Ryath wrote: »

The Lidl ones can be microwaved from frozen. Completely cover them in water, zap for 5 minutes, then drain and finish in a dry pan and they're genuinely as good as any gyoza I've had in Japanese restaurants here.

I tried it more out of curiosity than anything and was instantly converted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The Lidl ones can be microwaved from frozen. Completely cover them in water, zap for 5 minutes, then drain and finish in a dry pan and they're genuinely as good as any gyoza I've had in Japanese restaurants here.

I tried it more out of curiosity than anything and was instantly converted.

Might chance a few of them then. Was just going by my experience of reheating anything with prawns in the microwave they end up rubbery no matter how gently heated!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I tried the new Cherry Compote with Almond Sponge (Cherry Bakewell) topping in the fridge section by the sticky toffee sponge is.
    Really delicious, light and not overly sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the mushroom and chicken vol u vant , it’s in the fridge section where the sandwiches are. Vol u vent pastries on one side and then the mushroom and chicken sauce in the other side of the packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Forgot to upload photo.

IMG-20201216-120947.jpg

Are these available nationwide? Couldn't see them on the Aldi app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

dinneenp wrote: »

Saw them in Waterford earlier in the week. Just in special buy baskets , not on normal shelves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

dinneenp wrote: »

Got these in dunnes last night

Advertisement