Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thargor wrote: »
    Exact same things happens with the jars of Specially Selected Apple Sauce I put on my pork chops, the box is 50% Apple 50% Cranberry! So you're left looking at a shelf full of cranberry sauce for weeks on end waiting for the jars of apple to reappear and sell out in 48 hours...

The same happens with crackers. The red salted ones sell out much quicker and you are left with the blue and green ones.

Got some specially selected tomato relish recently. Beautiful. So nice on a burger. Don't buy ketchup anymore.

Any recommendations for nice white wines for €10 or under or anything above that is really special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭tphase

Any recommendations for nice white wines for €10 or under or anything above that is really special.
    Freemans Bay Sauvignon Blanc - a decent drop considering it's under E9
    Albarino Rias Baixas is also worth a try for a few quid more (about 12.50). Part of their "Exquisite" collection - a bit of a misnomer, some of those wines are anything but....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The same happens with crackers. The red salted ones sell out much quicker and you are left with the blue and green ones.

Got some specially selected tomato relish recently. Beautiful. So nice on a burger. Don't buy ketchup anymore.
    Chocolate peanuts are the exact same, chocolate raisins all over the place for weeks because nobody wants them, peanuts are gone in a couple of days.

tphase wrote: »
    Freemans Bay Sauvignon Blanc - a decent drop considering it's under E9
    Albarino Rias Baixas is also worth a try for a few quid more (about 12.50). Part of their "Exquisite" collection - a bit of a misnomer, some of those wines are anything but....

I recommended the Albariño here previously. It is very nice. Think it is only about €9 but will check again.

I will try that Freeman SB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭tphase

I recommended the Albariño here previously. It is very nice. Think it is only about €9 but will check again.
    if it's only €9, I better grab some more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

I think there is a purchasing problem

I think they should arrange a different mix with their suppliers.

There are similar patterns with some other lines, and I see the same sort of issue in Lidl.

I think it the same with the bottled cider, they have nice one in sweet, medium and dry. The dry one is great, it has a blue label, but often when you go in the shelf has about 50 sweet ones, 10 medium and no dry. They don't seem to restock the dry ones until the shelf is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Freeman's Bay Pinot Gris is a lovely white wine.

It seems to be new.
    I can confirm that this wine is very nice indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

fin12 wrote:
    Is aldi anti dandruff shampoo good?

I find it brilliant

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can confirm that this wine is very nice indeed :D
    Hmmm, I'm going to temper this review a little bit - found that when it warmed up (in the glass, having been poured from the fridge - it was a very warm evening so didn't stay chilled for long) it got a bit sweet for my liking.

Smashing value though.

Think I'll revert to the SB version, which is definitely lovely!

• Advertisement

How long do people find their wine lasts after opening?

I find I have to drink the bottle by the following night otherwise it loses its quality and becomes that bit acidic.

I store the bottle flat in the fridge on the wine rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

How long do people find their wine lasts after opening?

About an hour :P

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

tringle wrote: »

I think it the same with the bottled cider, they have nice one in sweet, medium and dry. The dry one is great, it has a blue label, but often when you go in the shelf has about 50 sweet ones, 10 medium and no dry. They don't seem to restock the dry ones until the shelf is empty.

Is there a brand on this? I like cider but find it generally too sickly sweet about half way through a bottle. I'd definitely like to give a dry cider a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Rogueish wrote: »
    Is there a brand on this? I like cider but find it generally too sickly sweet about half way through a bottle. I'd definitely like to give a dry cider a go.

Armagh craft cider.

I tried the sweet one. No dry and medium gone also.

It not only smells awful but tastes it too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Is the Sancerre wine discontinued from Aldi? I went to get some about two weeks ago and the manager over the wine section said he thought it had been or would be discontinued.

I saw a Sancerre wine in Supervalu for €22.99 not sure if its the same though.

This is the one in Supervalu https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1370980001

I see they have another one online, didn't see it in store though.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/shopping/shop.aspx?prodid=1068509000

Orchard Thieves isn't as sweet as Bulmers.

Orchard Thieves isn't as sweet as Bulmers.

I find Orchard Thieves very sweet. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a cider drinker. Funnily enough every now and then I get a craving for Bulmer Pear Cider and yes I do know it is very sweet but just sometimes it just hits the spot.

I have to do the grocery shopping today so am going to give the dry Armagh Cider a go (if it is in stock).

Anyway on topic - I really like the Aldi sushi it's a bit expensive almost 5 for 7 pieces but the kids love it and I would rather spend 5 on sushi for the kids than 2 on junk. Unfortunately it doesn't leave a whole lot leftover for me :-(

Aldi Gourmet Rosemary Crackers. Absolutely delicious with some butter and cheddar!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

I find Orchard Thieves very sweet. Maybe I'm just not cut out to be a cider drinker. Funnily enough every now and then I get a craving for Bulmer Pear Cider and yes I do know it is very sweet but just sometimes it just hits the spot.

I have to do the grocery shopping today so am going to give the dry Armagh Cider a go (if it is in stock).

Anyway on topic - I really like the Aldi sushi it's a bit expensive almost 5 for 7 pieces but the kids love it and I would rather spend 5 on sushi for the kids than 2 on junk. Unfortunately it doesn't leave a whole lot leftover for me :-(

Just the dry one, even the medium is too sweet... the dry had the blue label.
    I didn't know they did sushi, I haven't seen it in our local one. I usually buy Oishi Sushi at M7 junction 14, Our local Tesco has stopped doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

tringle wrote: »
    Just the dry one, even the medium is too sweet... the dry had the blue label.
    I didn't know they did sushi, I haven't seen it in our local one. I usually buy Oishi Sushi at M7 junction 14, Our local Tesco has stopped doing it.
    I tried the Cider and yup it is good. It will be included in our 'Alcohol That Is Good' list :-) Many thanks

Yeah our local Aldi has sushi. It is in the fridge with the prepared salads and coleslaw etc. There are two different selection trays. They are quite good.

Incidentally my previous post re: sushi put the going on me to give making sushi rolls a go. I got the sushi kit in Dunnes and got the rest of the fillings in Aldi with my main grocery shop. Smoked salmon & cream cheese; marinated garlic prawns and red pepper; chicken and cucumber; tuna and carrot. It made loads (36 pieces) and was scoffed by kiddies and adults alike. Adults had it with the Armagh dry Cider. It went down well but next time I think a dry prosecco would be a better accompaniment. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The 85% dark chocolate is so good but can't find it in stock :( All I could find was ginger chocolate everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

The 85% dark chocolate is so good but can't find it in stock :( All I could find was ginger chocolate everywhere!

I like the sea salt one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Anyone finding that the Aldi chicken fillets have gone very 'rubbery'? Love all their meat but drifting away from these

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Exact same things happens with the jars of Specially Selected Apple Sauce I put on my pork chops, the box is 50% Apple 50% Cranberry! So you're left looking at a shelf full of cranberry sauce for weeks on end waiting for the jars of apple to reappear and sell out in 48 hours...

Chocolate peanuts are the exact same, chocolate raisins all over the place for weeks because nobody wants them, peanuts are gone in a couple of days.

Gahh. This drives me mad. No, I don't want to purchase 18 tubs of chive cottage cheese or 16 tubs of pineapple cottage cheese. 3 tubs of plain cottage cheese would be just nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

I have to rummage about to find the lemon curd yogurt.... and the Java fresh coffee.

I am sorry to see the gluten free apple pie is no longer stocked but happy to report on best gluten free frozen pizza, two varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anne h

There vegaterian frozen food is good and the salads are good

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lizzie gal

hi I do all my weekly shopping in Aldi I recommend the meat section freshness and quality assured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

anne h wrote: »
    There vegaterian frozen food is good and the salads are good
    lizzie gal wrote: »
    hi I do all my weekly shopping in Aldi I recommend the meat section freshness and quality assured.

WTF :confused:

• Advertisement

WTF :confused:
    My thoughts exactly!

Bizarre.....

Advertisement