Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Specially Selected Mediterranean Couscous in a multiseed wrap with some specially Selected ruby coleslaw , some grated cheese and Aldi specially selected carved ham makes quite a nice snack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

The €2 pot of biryani in the chilled section is nice. Handy to stick in the microwave for lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

The €2 pot of biryani in the chilled section is nice. Handy to stick in the microwave for lunch.

Yes it’s lovely, .

The hot cross buns are lovely. Specially selected ones. In the bread section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Car99 wrote: »
    Specially Selected Mediterranean Couscous in a multiseed wrap with some specially Selected ruby coleslaw , some grated cheese and Aldi specially selected carved ham makes quite a nice snack.

Sounds delicious. All of those items now on the shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

My kids reported last night that Aldis tortilla chips don't taste or feel the same anymore.

Only tried the cool flavour, but they're not wrong you know. Not as nice as they were, and the texture is a bit cardboardy if you know what I mean.

Possibly grow on me, but my initial reaction is that it's not a change for the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I got some fresh filled pasta this evening - think it's a limited edition, nduja and burrata - anyone tried it?

I got some of the usual filled pasta recently, think it was chicken and chorizo, and it tasted of absolutely nothing, so I'm hoping this stuff will be a bit more flavoursome (wouldn't be difficult! )

I'll report back whenever I get around to eating it!

Had some of this tonight, and I'm pleased to report they were lovely. Not knockout, or anything, but at least there was a small bit of a kick of taste from them, unlike the last ones. And it managed to bully its way through strong pesto, and rocket-fuelled homemade garlic bread!

McMurphy wrote: »
    My kids reported last night that Aldis tortilla chips don't taste or feel the same anymore.

Only tried the cool flavour, but they're not wrong you know. Not as nice as they were, and the texture is a bit cardboardy if you know what I mean.

Possibly grow on me, but my initial reaction is that it's not a change for the better.

Agreed, bought a pack of these recently and they were awful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

The chilli flavour are the ones I get and really noticed a difference in the last pack I bought a few weeks ago, texture was fine but the flavour was off. Almost like they tasted similar, just not as strong if that makes any sense? I just assumed it was a dodgy bag.
    I've another bag for tomorrow night so I'll report back.

The tasty soup range in the fridge section are lovely. I’ve had the carrot n butternut squash and the red pepper and tomatoe ones. Very nice. Will pick up the veg one next time. I know this Aldi thread but recommend the carrot n coriander soup in the carton in lidl.

Also the stackers are really nice, love the red (salted) blue ( s&v) and the purple (bbq). I don’t bother comparing them to Pringles cause i feel they are both nice in their own right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

fin12 wrote: »
    Also the stackers are really nice, love the red (salted) blue ( s&v) and the purple (bbq). I don’t bother comparing them to Pringles cause i feel they are both nice in their own right.

I tried the salt and vinegar. Thumbs up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

My kids reported last night that Aldis tortilla chips don't taste or feel the same anymore....

Noticed this too

They have the look and feel ( i.e. cardboard ) of the ones that Lidl sell.

Tesco branded ones are like the old Aldi ones ( at least the salted ones are )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

The Aldi Aero knockoff, oh my! It's beautiful. More solid than Aero but if you take it as being its own thing it really is so so good.

We noticed the same they are terrible now so we dont buy them anymore . The kids picked up on it straight away. They must have changed supplier . The blue on the cool version bag is slightly different now too.
    First of all they got rid of the cheesy dip now the tortillas are goosed.
    Time to try Tesco or lidl tortillas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Car99 wrote: »
    We noticed the same they are terrible now so we dont buy them anymore . The kids picked up on it straight away. They must have changed supplier . The blue on the cool version bag is slightly different now too.
    First of all they got rid of the cheesy dip now the tortillas are goosed.
    Time to try Tesco or lidl tortillas.

The Lidl tortillas and spicy salsa are good. Very cheap too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The Lidl tortillas and spicy salsa are good. Very cheap too

I like the (very cheap) salted corn tortillas from lidl. Simple corn snacky things that taste of corn. Let the dips do the work.

I miss the lidl fresh salsa though. That was about 80c. And the tesco version is €2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its funny that because I only opened a packet of the cool ones last night and theyve definitely changed. The colour of them is veering more towards brown than yellow. They were a bit carboardy eaten straight out of the packet but they did get slightly better after 2 minutes in the microwave, the corn flavours were a lot better when heated. Aldi have another version there in the black packaging, will give them a try out next time instead and if theyre no good it will be off to Lidl instead.

I can still recommend the tex mex dips in Aldi though, theres 4 of them in a tray- salsa, guacamole, sour cream and nacho cheese. They used to have a single guacamole dip for 99c but it seems to be discontinued which is a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

I'm a Tesco girl but happened to be in an ALDI the other day..

Got Marie's Brown Bread (with sunflower seeds etc) - OMG its delicious - so much so that I had to google it... turns out she won the National Brown Bread Competition (run by ALDI/ICA/NPA)..
    Tis a reason to go to ALDI in itself..
    I highly recommend it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

^Say that would be nice toasted with real butter^,must look out for that.^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    ^Say that would be nice toasted with real butter^,must look out for that.^

oh absolutely - the heat brings out the flavour and enhances the crunchy texture too..
    i had it with some raspberry jam (the seeds again, add to the texture - yum)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

sporina wrote: »
    I'm a Tesco girl but happened to be in an ALDI the other day..

Got Marie's Brown Bread (with sunflower seeds etc) - OMG its delicious - so much so that I had to google it... turns out she won the National Brown Bread Competition (run by ALDI/ICA/NPA)..
    Tis a reason to go to ALDI in itself..
    I highly recommend it..

Bought that the other day and other one today. It really is delicious.

• Advertisement

Anyone pick up the cute valentines soft dog teddy that was on sale? They were all sold out in the Aldi I went to. Got the mascaras though, they are really good. Quality is really good for €2.50 .

.red. wrote: »
    The chilli flavour are the ones I get and really noticed a difference in the last pack I bought a few weeks ago, texture was fine but the flavour was off. Almost like they tasted similar, just not as strong if that makes any sense? I just assumed it was a dodgy bag.
    I've another bag for tomorrow night so I'll report back.

Had these last night and they were awful, really tasteless. It's almost like they forgot to flavour them. I ended up eating a few handfuls before I tipped them into the fire in disgust.
    Note to others, do not put 3/4 of a bag of tortillas into a fire, jebus, the flames were huge, the wife asked were they cooked in petrol.

Had these last night and they were awful, really tasteless. It's almost like they forgot to flavour them. I ended up eating a few handfuls before I tipped them into the fire in disgust.
    Note to others, do not put 3/4 of a bag of tortillas into a fire, jebus, the flames were huge, the wife asked were they cooked in petrol.

I did the same and was amazed how flammable they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

So they would be cheaper then fire lighters wouldn't they?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So they would be cheaper then fire lighters wouldn't they?

I've heard of lads going wild camping and bringing a bag of doritos to help start a fire.
    I expected them to go up, but didn't expect the flames to be so massive, a lot of heat too which was ironic because I flung them in due to a lack of heat on the chips themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Anyone ever spent time in Australia? They have nice biscuits over there called Tim Tams. Aldi has a new brand of biscuits called Just Divine and they are very similar to these Tim Tams. And they really are just divine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Their specially selected filled pasta isn’t bad.

Anyone ever spent time in Australia? They have nice biscuits over there called Tim Tams. Aldi has a new brand of biscuits called Just Divine and they are very similar to these Tim Tams. And they really are just divine.

The oul Tim tam dunk, can't beat it.
    I've seen those a few times but never tried them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

The oul Tim tam dunk, can't beat it.
    I've seen those a few times but never tried them.

You have to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

You have to try it.

Another vote for them, my new favourite biscuit-they're gorgeous. Between them and Marie's brown bread from Aldi I'm going to balloon up:pac:

Advertisement