Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Aldi have started stocking wibbly wobbly wonder clones!!!!

Summer officially made!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Starting on Thurs 4th August they will have Beanies flavoured coffees on sale.
    Hazelnut/Vanilla & Caramel flavours.
    I'm dying to try them..I've never seen flavoured coffees anywhere.

Also they will have Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup which is quite dear in health shops but only €2.99 in Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Has anyone tried their new falafal/pakora range yet? Seen them today but I was in a rush and forgot to go back for them!

422197.jpg?v=1
    306173011_0_150x150.jpg?identifier=20462d0a1822662905e00864d6a5673f

5036829750630_L.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Finally got to try some of the ribs I've seen mentioned a lot here, really enjoyed them. I got the salt & chili ones, will have to try the barbecue ones next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Finally got to try some of the ribs I've seen mentioned a lot here, really enjoyed them. I got the salt & chili ones, will have to try the barbecue ones next time!

I thought the salt & chilli ones were horrible! And I usually like that kinda thing!

Bbq ones yummy though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭caviardreams

fussyonion wrote: »
    Starting on Thurs 4th August they will have Beanies flavoured coffees on sale.
    Hazelnut/Vanilla & Caramel flavours.
    I'm dying to try them..I've never seen flavoured coffees anywhere.

Also they will have Sweet Freedom Fruit Syrup which is quite dear in health shops but only €2.99 in Aldi.

I am pretty sure I have seen some of the beanies instant coffee in Dunnes Stephens Green & some other branches (the done up, fancy ones :))

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I thought the salt & chilli ones were horrible! And I usually like that kinda thing!

Bbq ones yummy though

I was reluctant trying them as only after I'd bought them did I read that a few people on here didn't like them, but I did! There was an odd sort of sweetness to them, not unpleasant, but I think I can understand why they're not as popular as the barbecue ones. Either way, BBQ are next on my list!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Kovu wrote: »
    Has anyone tried their new falafal/pakora range yet? Seen them today but I was in a rush and forgot to go back for them!

422197.jpg?v=1
    306173011_0_150x150.jpg?identifier=20462d0a1822662905e00864d6a5673f

5036829750630_L.jpeg

Tried the sweet potato ones and did not enjoy them one little bit. I'm not a falafal lover though so could just be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

Kovu wrote: »

I bought the regular and Moroccan falafel yesterday, had Moroccan for dinner and they are very dry. I wouldn't buy them again and don't want to finish the ones I have.

They definitely don't have sushi in our local one....or didn't yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

tringle wrote: »
    I bought the regular and Moroccan falafel yesterday, had Moroccan for dinner and they are very dry. I wouldn't buy them again and don't want to finish the ones I have.

They definitely don't have sushi in our local one....or didn't yesterday.

Tesco sell a falafel brand called Cauldron. They are delicious, not dry like the Aldi ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭tringle

Tesco sell a falafel brand called Cauldron. They are delicious, not dry like the Aldi ones

Yep, thanks, there the ones I normally get...or make them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I bought the beetroot that's on special this week, its the one in the vacuum pack. Cannot recommend it highly enough, it is delicious and the end by date is Jan 17!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

My other half loves a nice strong cheddar but we've just been buying Kilmeadan all this time as there isn't much choice of cheddars in our local shops.

But we went to Aldi the other day and picked up their Extra Mature (rated 4 on the strength scale) for only €2.09 for a 375g block.
    I'm not keen on sharp cheese but my other half LOVED it.

I tasted some and yes it's strong and would go lovely in a toastie or just grated on top of a lasagne.
    Definitely recommend it to you cheddar lovers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

fussyonion wrote: »
    My other half loves a nice strong cheddar but we've just been buying Kilmeadan all this time as there isn't much choice of cheddars in our local shops.

But we went to Aldi the other day and picked up their Extra Mature (rated 4 on the strength scale) for only €2.09 for a 375g block.
    I'm not keen on sharp cheese but my other half LOVED it.

I tasted some and yes it's strong and would go lovely in a toastie or just grated on top of a lasagne.
    Definitely recommend it to you cheddar lovers out there.

The Vintage Cheddar in Lidl is one of the few things that I rate over the Aldi alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Their finest pasta stir in sauces in the little jars, amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

Just had the sushi... full marks! Yes easy to miss it, just one box beside couscous in chilled cabinet with coleslaw. Another regular item to shop for there:) and made in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

As we Dutch do like "our" Indonesian food ( we have chinese-Indonesian take aways, not just chinese) the 800 gr boxes of Nasi and bami Goreng (Goreng meaning "fried") are a good start to a good meal.

Not just on its own because that would be a bit boring. Just stir fry some meat or chicken.
    Personally i add some nasi goreng paste from tesco at the end of the meat frying.
    When the meat is doen add the nasi or bami and keep stirring till it is hot enough.
    But you can add any stirfry sauce you fancy.

Better than any chinese take away. And a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

cobham wrote: »
    Just had the sushi... full marks! Yes easy to miss it, just one box beside couscous in chilled cabinet with coleslaw. Another regular item to shop for there:) and made in Ireland.

I love the sushi.
    And it's low calorie, which makes a change to my usual food addictions.
    But what's with all the additives?
    Is all sushi like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Felt like some cheeseburgers last night so I went over to Aldi and bought the frozen black box of specially selected Angus Quarter Pounders, absolutely disgusting, the worst meat Ive ever bought from them, like dogfood shaped into a burger, Ill stick to the fresh ones in the fridges from now on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Thargor wrote: »
    Felt like some cheeseburgers last night so I went over to Aldi and bought the frozen black box of specially selected Angus Quarter Pounders, absolutely disgusting, the worst meat Ive ever bought from them, like dogfood shaped into a burger, Ill stick to the fresh ones in the fridges from now on...

Thanks, I've just bought a pack. :mad:
    Going to have one for my dinner. I'll let you know if I agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Thargor wrote: »

I quite like those burgers. They're my go to burgers for cooking at home.
    Personally, I find the ones with onion added disgusting (not sure if you had them or the plain)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Onion burgers are disgusting in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I quite like those burgers. They're my go to burgers for cooking at home.
    Personally, I find the ones with onion added disgusting (not sure if you had them or the plain)
    Maybe I did actually, there was a weird taste to them alright, no need to buy them anyway when theres usually fresg=h ones in the fridges for around the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cobham

Have to agree about the Angus burger.... huge amount of grease came out, cheap pale pink appearance. Not a patch on quality of fresh Angus meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

Did anyone else notice Aldi no longer seem to have their own brand ready brek? Haven't seen it in weeks now. The kids loved it!

yep it's been gone awhile now .it was dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thargor wrote:

I'm surprised anyone at all buys frozen burgers after the news about them from a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I used to love their cauliflower cheese from the freezer but that's been gone ages.

I love their aubergine ravioli. Gorgeous on its own or with a spoon of their stir in pasta sauce.

Just bought a bottle of the plum sauce for 99c, haven't a clue what to do with it. Suggestions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    I used to love their cauliflower cheese from the freezer but that's been gone ages.

I love their aubergine ravioli. Gorgeous on its own or with a spoon of their stir in pasta sauce.

Just bought a bottle of the plum sauce for 99c, haven't a clue what to do with it. Suggestions welcome!

Where is the aubergine ravioli usually kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Where is the aubergine ravioli usually kept?

With the fresh pasta in the fridge. It's really nice. They have butternut squash too which is nice but the aubergine is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    They have butternut squash too which is nice but the aubergine is better.
    I prefer the butternut squash one myself, the big problem I have with both of them is that sometimes they've stuck together in the packet, and when you try to separate them you get tiny holes which means the filling oozes out.

Coupled with the fact that my cooker is extremely slow to react when turning the heat down and they go on the boil instead of a slow simmer, more often than not a good number of them end up empty swimming in a diluted butternut squash soup :D

Advertisement