Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I noticed the lack of jalapeños the last few months alright, I'm guessing either seasonal or else a sourcing issue.

The Specially Selected Triple Chocolate Muffins are excellent. Absolutely devilish if heated and served with ice cream.

I see the local Aldi still has a surplus of the Saturday Pizzas, STILL at €4.99. I'd imagine Aldi got stung hard with them and won't be restocking them again (or at least at that price).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I finally got to try the famous Saturday night pizza and it was very nice for a pre-made stick in the oven pizza.
    I got the pepperoni one and added pineapple, peppers and a little onion.
    I think if I hadn't added the toppings it would have been very bland.
    But really liked the thin and crispy base.

For anyone else that's wondering about it, the pizza is basically precooked and you're only heating it, not cooking it, for 5 mins in the oven.
    It looks flat when you take it out of the packaging but kind of fills out when heated.
    IMG_0917.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

The fresh pizza bases are really nice, 2 in a pack.

Very few ingredients in the bases.

€2.99 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

ellejay wrote: »
    I finally got to try the famous Saturday night pizza and it was very nice for a pre-made stick in the oven pizza.
    I got the pepperoni one and added pineapple, peppers and a little onion.
    I think if I hadn't added the toppings it would have been very bland.
    But really liked the thin and crispy base.

For anyone else that's wondering about it, the pizza is basically precooked and you're only heating it, not cooking it, for 5 mins in the oven.
    It looks flat when you take it out of the packaging but kind of fills out when heated.
    IMG_0917.JPG

I'd still argue that paying a fiver for a frozen pizza which is only great if you have to add your own toppings isn't a ringing endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They have changed the dog bones bits box , made it smaller , really annoying , not sure if it’s the same price , I used to be able to get a box of 800g now it’s 500g also not sure have they got rid of the earls dentastix box , couldn’t find it. Hate when companies change their products u love.., and obviously my dog loved them too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I'd still argue that paying a fiver for a frozen pizza which is only great if you have to add your own toppings isn't a ringing endorsement.

It is pricey at a fiver.
    I picked up a frozen pizza for 1.50 also so I'm interested to see how it compares.

I looked at buying the bases and adding all my own toppings but by the time I bought sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni I just went with the Saturday night pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ellejay wrote: »
    I looked at buying the bases and adding all my own toppings but by the time I bought sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni I just went with the Saturday night pizza.

The bases can be very pricey. There is competition between supermarkets to have the cheapest pizza for price comparison reasons, so sold really cheaply or possibly at a loss. So it is often better to get a fully made one and add additional toppings.

Most of the time it will not be premium ones going for cheap. But you can greatly improve run of the mill ones, adding toppings etc. I brush melted butter on the bottom sometimes.

This one used to always be sold out in tesco, they way they name it is such that it is not easily found. They do not want to sell some products, just have them for comparison reasons.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=300285831

It is certainly not the best frozen pizza I have had but far from the worst, a stupidly low price. To buy the pepperoni on it separately might be the same price!

they have another very similar one for 1.50 which is the price that seems right, i.e. it is a cheapo pizza, but 61cent is just ridiculous.
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=299425011

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I bought one of those Saturday pizzas before and while they are nice, not worth it, I’d rather put the fiver towards a takeaway pizza...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

The stone baked pizza bases in Lidl are lovely, 2 in a pack in the fridge. I think super valu do the same ones but in different packaging and a bit more expensive.
    Add on the Aldi pizza sauce, a tiny sprinkle of grated mozzarella(but chopped up finely) and then a few thin slices of the fresh mozzarella and whatever else you like and you have a really good pizza.
    Probably 2 for a fiver and better than any frozen pizza I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I have to agree with the views above about the saturdays pizza. I don't like to say it, but they are priced a little high. I don't normally buy pizza, but I had bought a fair few of them (over time) after I first heard about them on here, but after a while I could no longer justify the price.
    They are nice, but not double or maybe treble the price of the other pizzas beside them. But as I Wouldn't normally be a big pizza fan, maybe I'm not the best to comment, as I have heard the cheaper ones can be anything from 'chewy' to 'dry' :confused: but I thought the couple I tried were nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Myself and the OH had a Saturday Pizza today after trying for months in our local Aldi to get one, it was the pepperoni and was in our freezer at -18 and put straight from freezer to 200c oven for 7 minutes 30 seconds and was cooked perfectly. It was the best frozen pizza we have tried and the likes of Milano fresh pizza at 50c cheaper in Tesco comes nowhere near in quality. Granted the price is high and the toppings were finely sliced but the pizza dough was lovely and charred and flavour was good. It's one we agreed will have a place in the freezer for those lazy days.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

lassykk wrote: »
    I actually only happened on them from a recommendation from this thread. It was probably sometime in the last six months I saw the recommendation but can't be sure how long they've stocked them

Have they changed those cinnamon buns recently though? last couple times I bought them they weren't as nice. much firmer, just seemed less fresh and the icing looked different too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The real fruit splits have come back to Aldi freezers.

I've gotten the same product in different boxes in Lidl, Aldi and Tesco but haven't seen them anywhere in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

The OH got me the Chilli version of these because I have been looking for big Frankfurters for ages "Brannans Irish Gourmet Hot Dogs 300g" €1.39 for 5. I hope to try them out on a BBQ soon and post if any good. https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-irish-gourmet-hot-dogs-300g-brannans/4088600110004

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I have had the "standard" ones of those. They are quite good.
    Used them in "my" sauerkraut dishes as replacement for real smoked pork sausages (Matteson) that i can only find in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Was in a massive rush today and got one of the Burrito bowls, the beef one, for lunch. Very impressed for the price and really quick to heat up in the microwave. Locally (to me anyway!) produced too!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭weetiepie

Esse85 wrote: »
    The fresh pizza bases are really nice, 2 in a pack.

Very few ingredients in the bases.

€2.99 pack.

I love these..they are in supervalu to but at 3.99. I use the west cork pizza sauce on them, you can find that around the past shelves. Delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had one of the falafel and hummus wraps for lunch yesterday. Bargain at 1.69 but dont think Id buy again as there wasnt much falafel or hummus in it, it mainly tasted of the wrap and some lettuce leaves.

Noticed that their salted cashew nuts are in a new purple coloured packet (the old one was a green packet). Not sure if the size is bigger or smaller than the previous packets but the price has gone up to 1.79, pretty sure it was 1.29 or 1.39 previously.

As for the packets of Spanish tapas, they are still not there on my fourth visit so I reckon they are disconnected now as they were always there for the last couple of years. They seem to have individual packets of the three meats that were in them instead which is another price increase in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Bought a pack of their spinach and pinenut falafel recently and had them for lunch all this week - very tasty. Put them with lettuce, tomato, spring onion, cucumber and some grilled halloumi (also aldi) and dressing :)

I also bought the sweet potato pakora but haven't taste them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Big fan of the chicken and stuffing triple sandwiches here, €1.99. Really good value as the same sandwich in CircleK is €5.15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The Choceur Salted Pretzel chocolate bar is very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

The specially selected smoked haddock and cheese fishcakes are tasty, as is the Italian crumbed ham

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The real fruit splits have come back to Aldi freezers.

I've gotten the same product in different boxes in Lidl, Aldi and Tesco but haven't seen them anywhere in a few months.

These have changed and aren't really great, anymore. They've always been quite variable - not good atm - flavour less intense and less natural tasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The cloudy lemon cider is back as well. Hadn't seen it since last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

I love the flavoured tinned tuna, has anyone seen it in their local store lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I love the flavoured tinned tuna, has anyone seen it in their local store lately?

Reappeared in my local (Galway). Bought some on Friday. Was missing for ages. They have upped the price by 10 Cent. Used to be €0.99, now €1.09.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Not food related but as someone who loves collecting utensils...they're selling 'kids' utensils for 5:99 a set that i would pay 5 euro a piece for. Actual silicone...not that faux silicone plastic s**te. whisk...spatula...fish slice...pastry brush.

I have a weird obsession knives/ utensils and i love the fact these are so compact. Never mind the kids ...these are so handy for those that appreciate a spacesaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Flavoured tinned tuna sounds interesting...What flavours do you recommend and how do you usually serve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I got a few tins today in the Newlands Cross (Dublin) store.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I had noticed them missing too.

Advertisement