Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Flavoured tinned tuna sounds interesting...What flavours do you recommend and how do you usually serve it?

They are small single portion tins.

Chilli and onion, jalapeño, soy and ginger I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    They are small single portion tins.

Chilli and onion, jalapeño, soy and ginger I think?
    That one is chilli and garlic, there's also a lemon and thyme one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭rachaelf750

Back in stock in my local Aldi.
    Top to bottom in order of preferance.

Back in stock in my local Aldi.
    Top to bottom in order of preferance.
    Or left to right as picture uploaded on its side!!

Flavoured tinned tuna sounds interesting...What flavours do you recommend and how do you usually serve it?

I like it with ceaser salad

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I got a cheese and onion flatbread. It was horrible! Soggy and heavy, with a bad mouthfeel and strange taste. Avoid!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hate to rag on Aldi but the sauce on their BBQ pork fillet is horrible. Lurid orange and smells like bean juice. Avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Their Boerewors sausages are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

My kids love the flavoured tuna mixed with pasta. Hasn't been in stock in a while but I'm going tomorrow so will check again. I was looking for those cheesebakes for a few weeks, 2 local stores, wasn't in either, then all of a sudden they were there last week. Haven't tried it yet, might make some bread over the weekend for dipping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just for anyone desperate, John West also do flavoured tuna tins. I've got them a few times when my Aldi didn't have their version in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The chicken jalfrezi in the ready meal section is absolutely vile. They have it packaged to look like the bombay pantry one but it tastes nothing like it. Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

The flavoured tuna were stocked in knocknacarra/Galway yesterday if that helps anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Seeded wraps are delicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Went shopping yesterday early afternoon. Was looking to pick up a leg of lamb but they were all gone. Got two silver hill ducks on special instead, €6 each. Bargain!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭nhg

Went shopping yesterday early afternoon. Was looking to pick up a leg of lamb but they were all gone. Got two silver hill ducks on special instead, €6 each. Bargain!!! :)

The whole duck's are always €6 in Supervalu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Has Brexit done away with the All Purpose Seasoning? Haven't seen it since October and am on my last jar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Probably mentioned before, but new to me

Tried the Sicilian Lemon Cheescake, and it was absolutely delicious!

The base could have been a bit crispier/crunchier, maybe - but I'd say that of a lot of cheesecakes. The topping was lovely and tangy, not quite up to the M&S one, but not far off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

The Moser Roth salted caramel dark chocolate bars (5 pack of mini bars) are quite nice. I’m not sure if they’re a new product (they’re new to me anyhow) or a re-packaged item...

550163.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

We used to like the proper bars, but with milk chocolate. THey've gone recently. Another Aldi improvement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Tried the bake in the bag marinated pork fillet. The lemon and garlic one. I bbq’d it instead of baking and it was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Wee thing I noticed (or didn't notice) the other day when doing a large Aldi shop.

We would drink a lot of OJ at home, and I usually load up when in store.

I grabbed maybe 8 or so of the orange juice, and thought nothing more of it until next morning, when young lad said it tasted nicer. Checked and it was 'not from concentrate'. So pure juice.

Checked receipt and it was 1.39 instead of 0.79. But it was in same spot as usual. Not sure if my local Aldi has stopped stocking from concentrate juice at 0.79.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭darklighter

NIMAN wrote: »
    Checked receipt and it was 1.39 instead of 0.79. But it was in same spot as usual. Not sure if my local Aldi has stopped stocking from concentrate juice at 0.79.

They are usually very close on the shelf to each other & look very similar....very easy to pick up the wrong one in my experience

I hope they haven’t stopped the concentrate one, it’s by far the best one on the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭lassykk

They are usually very close on the shelf to each other & look very similar....very easy to pick up the wrong one in my experience

I hope they haven’t stopped the concentrate one, it’s by far the best one on the market

Excuse my ignorance but is there a benefit to the concentrate version or just better value? Don't drink either as the little one is allergic so wouldn't have a clue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got a punnet of the clemintines, 8 of them in it for 1.79 iirc. Really fresh and juicy and better again they are ridiculously easy to peel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Coincidentally, I just saw this
    Clementine jam – La Recette du Jour

No idea if it's any good :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ha, I was just literally looking up recipes for clementine cheesecakes, will probably make one next weekend just to see how it turns out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Got a punnet of the clemintines, 8 of them in it for 1.79 iirc. Really fresh and juicy and better again they are ridiculously easy to peel.
    I went to my local SuperValu this evening, picked up a bag of "Easy Peelers".
    They are anything but. The skin is welded on. I had to cut the top before I started peeling or I would have squished the crap out of the rest of it trying to break the skin.
    They are very tasty though.. :) Love this time of year and onwards, when all the fruit gets better and better..
    On a side note, that's not the first time I got conned with supervalu 'easy peelers'. More fool me. Pretty sure I grabbed something last year in a hurry too. I meant to check if they use it as a brand name as opposed to a phrase for what they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

Is the Bramwells curry powder tin comparable to the McDonnells one? Not expecting an exact match but whether its in the same ballpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Is the Bramwells curry powder tin comparable to the McDonnells one? Not expecting an exact match but whether its in the same ballpark.

We like it here, never buy McDonnells anymore. Hopefully I’m not sending you wrong but I think it’s nice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Yes it is. I cannot taste any difference between the two.

Advertisement