Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Is the Bramwells curry powder tin comparable to the McDonnells one? Not expecting an exact match but whether its in the same ballpark.

I've used both the Aldi and Lidl versions and haven't had any complaints from any of my discerning diners :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

We got the four season, beef dripping chips last week.
    Not my favourite frozen chips but very nice.
    The rest of the house liked them a lot more than me tho. The kids asked if we could only get them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

tangy wrote: »
    We used to like the proper bars, but with milk chocolate. THey've gone recently. Another Aldi improvement?

You won’t get better than the rum and raisin bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The chilli burgers are back in stock, had one over the charcoal kettle yesterday, along with some of the quick cook peri peri chicken fillets, few specially selected baby spuds (I roughly chop these, then throw in the air fryer tossed with garlic butter) and salad.

The chilli burgers are pretty much the nicest burgers available to buy from any of the major supermarkets here. Along with the rib steak burgers they do (,which the kids had)

I love their summer range of food, deadly stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

McMurphy wrote: »
    The chilli burgers are pretty much the nicest burgers available to buy from any of the major supermarkets here. Along with the rib steak burgers they do (,which the kids had)

cheers for that Im going on a hunt! are these frozen? thanks

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »
    cheers for that Im going on a hunt! are these frozen? thanks

No they're fresh.

This is what you're looking for.

IMG-20210422-130641.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not sure if posted already..

Aldi had a fabulous half side of salmon with herb and garlic butter in a cook in the bag light blue packaging. I think it was a West Cork product.

It was really good - lovely and flaky and the kids loved it too. I think it was about 6eur.

It was initially in the 'saver' fridge meat items but it seems to be gone with the last few weeks.

Such a shame. It was so much nicer than the normal fattier salmon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Anyone had the Nutriquick chicken burrito bowl recently? Have they changed the quality of the chicken in it, I had it recently and the chicken was awful.

Aldi regularly seem to have suppliers that do this with their products.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Esse85 wrote: »
    Anyone had the Nutriquick chicken burrito bowl recently? Have they changed the quality of the chicken in it, I had it recently and the chicken was awful.

Yah the chicken one ain’t great.

Any time I’m in aldi I pick up the beef version

I tried the chicken 3 times. Once was decent

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Esse85 wrote: »

Not had the chicken one but have had a couple of the beef ones. Only complaint I've had about the first one was, oddly enough, that there was too much meat! Hardly any veggies especially the red cabbage. Last one I had last week was much better.

Interestingly if you look on Nutriquick's website, if you buy the same product directly from them, it's actually a good bit more expensive. They're probably using it as a way of getting their name known, hoping people will check them out and start ordering other products from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭FrankN1

The frozen ice cream toffee dessert

Alun wrote: »

Interestingly if you look on Nutriquick's website, if you buy the same product directly from them, it's actually a good bit more expensive. They're probably using it as a way of getting their name known, hoping people will check them out and start ordering other products from them.

Commercially that makes sense alright, Aldi wouldn't stock the product if the product was cheaper on the suppliers own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bought fresh ginger in Aldi Saturday, opened it up tongiht and there was a spot of blue mould on each piece. Dinner tonight was supposed to be asian ginger beef but the ginger is now in the bin, fuming :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Bought fresh ginger in Aldi Saturday, opened it up tongiht and there was a spot of blue mould on each piece. Dinner tonight was supposed to be asian ginger beef but the ginger is now in the bin, fuming :mad:

I know food safety is paramount but personally I would have just cut or peeled it off and used it.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The packaging for the american style chocolate chip pancakes has changed recently and it seems so too has the supplier. Not nearly as nice. I'm heartbroken. They were one of my favourite treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

No they're fresh.

IMG-20210422-130641.jpg

These are absolutely delish but my wussy digestive system cannot handle the chilli in them :(

(I may still buy and eat them cos they're so delicious :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

It's nothing new but I've been enjoying this "proper" ham for ages. Simple, no frills but the real deal.

Came across it first in France and couldn't believe it was available in Aldi here as a standard product.

DlCVz6R.jpg

54and56 wrote: »
    It's nothing new but I've been enjoying this "proper" ham for ages. Simple, no frills but the real deal.

Came across it first in France and couldn't believe it was available in Aldi here as a standard product.

[img][/img]

I've been a fan of this for aaaages now. Hard to persuade others to give it a go however, but it's a personal favourite in our house!

we had the new chicken skewers in beer and honey sauce. Quite tasty and loads in them. They had other flavours too but out of stock
    Also tried the crispy chicken thigh pieces in teriyaki, they were ok, strange texture, but maybe I didnt leave them in oven long enough....

snowgal wrote: »
    we had the new chicken skewers in beer and honey sauce. Quite tasty and loads in them. They had other flavours too but out of stock
    Also tried the crispy chicken thigh pieces in teriyaki, they were ok, strange texture, but maybe I didnt leave them in oven long enough....

Sorry are these, fresh or frozen?
    I must look out for them.

• Advertisement

Hi Esse85, they were both in frozen section.

con747 wrote: »
    I know food safety is paramount but personally I would have just cut or peeled it off and used it.

yeah I used to just cut out a dot of mold on bread but I had bad bacteria in my gut last year so I didnt want to risk that returning.

Still cant believe a bag of fresh ginger had mold on it 3 days after being bought. Ive stored ginger in the veg drawer of the fridge before and forgotten about it for 2 or 3 weeks and it didnt have mold on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Technique

When there's mould you're supposed to dump the lot. There are 'roots' from the growth which are not visible but will have spread to other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah I used to just cut out a dot of mold on bread but I had bad bacteria in my gut last year so I didnt want to risk that returning.

Still cant believe a bag of fresh ginger had mold on it 3 days after being bought. Ive stored ginger in the veg drawer of the fridge before and forgotten about it for 2 or 3 weeks and it didnt have mold on it.

Could the bag have caused it to 'sweat'

Technique wrote: »
    When there's mould you're supposed to dump the lot. There are 'roots' from the growth which are not visible but will have spread to other areas.

yeah would agree, the blue dots are only the mold you can see. If its there then there will be other moldy bacteria you cant see. Its the thought of eating those invisible moldy bacteria that puts me off. I used to cut it off with bread but no more, if I see a only a single spot of mold on a single slice of bread the assumption is its already developing on all the other slices but just hasnt become visible yet. So I'll chuck the whole pan of bread in the bin in that instance, I wouldnt even throw it out for the birds in case they get sick from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Torchon Ham
    Can't seem to delete the image, so won't quote.
    The torchon is supposed to keep the ham nicely moist, but it tastes wet to me. Different folks, eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

No they're fresh.

IMG-20210422-130641.jpg

Just finished one of these burgers for dinner and wow. They're on the shopping list every week now, thanks for the recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

tangy wrote: »
    Torchon Ham
    Can't seem to delete the image, so won't quote.
    The torchon is supposed to keep the ham nicely moist, but it tastes wet to me. Different folks, eh.

I find it very tasty. Maybe a little wet alright. From what I can recall, it's not carved off the joint but put together using smaller pieces - I think that's normal at the price and nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

I notice the Irish Vintage Cheddar in the black wrapper is going through another waxy phase. For some months after a longish absence, it had been lovely and crumbly. You could tell it was different from the feel of the pack. The crumbly one seemed to be less regularly cut and you could often feel crumbs inside. It would be interesting to know why this happens. Maybe Aldi drops the product when not happy with it and then after a few months the supplier reverts to an inferior product.

The Spuddy's cheese and onion crisps disappeared from my local shop a few weeks ago and the shelf barcode is gone. To my taste the quality went from better than Tayto to slightly worse some time ago. All they're stocking now are the mixed flavours. I understand both Spuddy's and Tayto are by the same manufacturer and I suspect they've withdrawn the Spuddy's C & O because they were underming Tayto sales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Lissavane wrote: »
    I notice the Irish Vintage Cheddar in the black wrapper is going through another waxy phase. For some months after a longish absence, it had been lovely and crumbly. You could tell it was different from the feel of the pack. The crumbly one seemed to be less regularly cut and you could often feel crumbs inside. It would be interesting to know why this happens. Maybe Aldi drops the product when not happy with it and then after a few months the supplier reverts to an inferior product.

Exact same thing being discussed this week in my house. Reckon it's either that it's from the winter milk which is never as rich or that it's not being aged for as long (possibly to maintain supplies)

Advertisement