Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

ArtyC wrote: »
    They ciabatta with olives is beautiful , it’s with the bread - one you pop into the oven for 12 mins .

We had it with the goat cheese melt in the earthen ware pots- Damn those pots—// I just can’t not put one in the trolley and this bread only adds to the want !

Where abouts are the goat cheese pots to be found please, on a goats cheese/yougart binge atm, on a side goats yougart in short supply(dunnes and tesco have a few pots for sale)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Where abouts are the goat cheese pots to be found please, on a goats cheese/yougart binge atm, on a side goats yougart in short supply(dunnes and tesco have a few pots for sale)

With the cheese. They’re in these little brown pots reAdy for the oven , cheese& cider , chorizo & cheese, goat cheese ... so far all very lovely. If you’re a fan of rarebit , or goat cheese it’s definitely worth picking up for a weekend treat with wine . We’ve been getting them a while but had the olive ciabatta with it these week and I had to come here to recommend both .

On a side note, try the aran goat cheese - absolutely beautiful .... not found in Aldi so hope it’s ok to recommend here/ I’m a goat cheese fiend !

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

ArtyC we love both the goats cheese pot from Aldi and the Aran goats cheese! We get the Aran cheese in Glasnevin farmers market; a real treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Couldn't see any sign of the chili burger in Ballinasloe today, they had a different one in a 4 pack and it wasn't great, their regular quarter pounder seems higher quality than these anyways. Wouldn't be buying the 4 pack again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

McMurphy wrote: »
    I picked up a bag of chicken thigh bites, they're supposedly spicy, but I'll report back later after I've sampled a few.

IMG-20210501-141151.jpg

Update on these. Threw the bag in the air fryer yesterday evening for 2 of my 4 kids (the two who would gladly eat chicken nuggets 7 days a week if allowed) for a bank holiday weekend treat.

Plenty there to do the two of them, the elder of the two particularly enjoyed them. Chunks of chicken thigh meat covered in a crispy coating, the flavour was spicy enough, the spiciness isn't an immediate hit, it's more of an aftertaste hit.

More popcorn chicken as opposed to chicken nuggets etc, though their were some fairly big chunks in the mix.

I polished off the few the younger one didn't finish, found them alright tbh, I did have a touch of heartburn later unsure if it was directly related to them though, and a quick Rennie sorted anyway.

Not bad would be my overall opinion, the salt and chilli strips are better though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had the dry aged rib steak burgers from the Super 6, really nice and flavoursome burger

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Had a pork loin wrapped in bacon and stuffed with a harrissa and raisin stuffing waiting on me this evening when I got in, new specially selected item and I can very easily recommend it.

The pork was nice and tender, the harrissa stuffing was really good too and not overpowering, the raisins are obviously blended into the stuffing as I couldn't detect any raisin "lumps" while eating it.

Had it thinly sliced and served with salad.

Anyway, very very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Bought (and subsequently tried) the specially selected black cherry conserve tonight.

It’s a new product for summer, alongside a rhubarb and strawberry conserve.

I had it on top of a slice of toasted Vienna loaf (also Aldi) and it was really nice :)

I bought croissants from the freezer to bake this weekend... i think the jam would be lovely with the croissants if it survives that long! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Bought (and subsequently tried) the specially selected black cherry conserve tonight.
    I had it on top of a slice of toasted Vienna loaf (also Aldi) and it was really nice :)

Hellloooo home made black forest gateau!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Hellloooo home made black forest gateau!

I was thinking chocolate Swiss roll filled with Cherry Conserve and covered in cream.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The beef brisket pie is delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

54and56 wrote: »
    It's nothing new but I've been enjoying this "proper" ham for ages. Simple, no frills but the real deal.

Came across it first in France and couldn't believe it was available in Aldi here as a standard product.

mg]
    McMurphy wrote: »
    I've been a fan of this for aaaages now. Hard to persuade others to give it a go however, but it's a personal favourite in our house!
    Whats different/special about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They dont try to do anything special with that ham. That makes it special in my opinion.
    It is just nice ham that tastes like ham.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭54and56

If you like San Pellegrino flavoured waters and are calorie conscious you're going to love the new San Pellegrino tribute band Aldi have launched.

So far I've only tried the Lemon and Mint (there's also Blood Orange) but it's really nice, well flavoured and not too sweet, it's less than €1 for a 1L bottle (€0.89 IIRC) and best of all it's only 24 calories for the whole 1L bottle.

Definite keeper.

Rl8jjsN.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

54and56 wrote: »
    If you like San Pellegrino flavoured waters and are calorie conscious you're going to love the new San Pellegrino tribute band Aldi have launched.

So far I've only tried the Lemon and Mint (there's also Blood Orange) but it's really nice, well flavoured and not too sweet, it's less than €1 for a 1L bottle (€0.89 IIRC) and best of all it's only 24 calories for the whole 1L bottle.

Definite keeper.
    Does it have any artificial sweeteners in it? If so, that's a big thumbs down from me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Alun wrote: »
    Does it have any artificial sweeteners in it? If so, that's a big thumbs down from me unfortunately.
    Was just going to ask the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-limone-e-menta-1l-vive/25445398

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

This is slightly off topic from Aldi recommendations but aldi related in any case. I got the jumbo oats from Aldi last week. Which say on the front 'EU agriculture' but when I opened them, I noticed on the top there was the opposite statement saying 'non-Eu agriculture'. I looked into it and apparently since they are harvested in the UK, there is now a grace period up to September 2022 where labelling can be non-compliant due to Brexit. I though it was pretty confusing though for the average shopper, not that I have particular concerns about food made in the UK, just I didn't expect things to be labelled in such a misleading way when it came to food.

https://imgur.com/a/W0GWCzs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I saw that too! had no idea what it meant. i love the jumbo oats but they've made the bag smaller recently which is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Beanstalk wrote: »
    I saw that too! had no idea what it meant. i love the jumbo oats but they've made the bag smaller recently which is nonsense.

God I hope they haven't changed the actual oats - their jumbo oats are BAE! Is there any difference in the product itself (and don't try and tell me oats are oats and they are all the same :o:o:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Esse85 wrote: »

Ingredients Carbonated Water, Lemon Juice From Concentrate (6%), Apple Juice From Concentrate, Acid: Citric Acid; Sweeteners: Aspartame, Acesulfame K; Preservative: Potassium Sorbate; Flavouring, Vegetable Extract (Safflower Concentrate).

All these flavoured water products are the same, spoilt by horrible artificial sweeteners. Bring back good old sugar I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

All these flavoured water products are the same, spoilt by horrible artificial sweeteners. Bring back good old sugar I say!

I object to these being sold as anything other than regular fizzy, sweet drinks.
    They have as much in common with water as 7UP does!!

I think "flavoured water" is extremely misleading.

Anyone remember the Ballygowan actual flavoured waters?
    There was lemon, lime and orange. No sweeteners or sugar , just a hint of citrus.
    They were lovely. Around 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

There used to be packets of small crispbreads up near the checkouts. The ones in the blue bag were black pepper and I was addicted.
    Haven't seen them in my local store in ages.

They had other flavours, I think sweet chilli and roasted onion but I only liked the pepper.

Hate when they stop stocking items.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Anyone tried the Quick Fry Steaks with Hickory Smoked Chipotle Glaze (they didn't have any plain ones left)? On a scale of 1 to 10, how spicy are they?
    (I have a few wimps at home unfortunately who'll be giving out about anything over 3). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone tried the Quick Fry Steaks with Hickory Smoked Chipotle Glaze (they didn't have any plain ones left)? On a scale of 1 to 10, how spicy are they?
    (I have a few wimps at home unfortunately who'll be giving out about anything over 3). :rolleyes:

I think they're new but I had some of the chilli quick fry steaks last year and they were spicy enough, maybe 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Recliner wrote: »
    There used to be packets of small crispbreads up near the checkouts. The ones in the blue bag were black pepper and I was addicted.
    Haven't seen them in my local store in ages.

They had other flavours, I think sweet chilli and roasted onion but I only liked the pepper.

Hate when they stop stocking items.

Those cheddar and black pepper mini flatbreads? I loved those. The small bags of peanut butter popcorn were also gone the last few times I was in Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Space Dog wrote: »
    Those cheddar and black pepper mini flatbreads? I loved those. The small bags of peanut butter popcorn were also gone the last few times I was in Aldi

I think they are a ryevita duper if you are ok with paying normal prices! https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/268348368

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some moaney frackers on this thread of late ����

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

WhomadeGod wrote: »
    Vive orange zero sugar 6 pack 330ml cans

Nicer than Fanta orange zero and club orange zero in my opinion.

Bought these the other day, and I can confirm they are beautiful. Lovely from the fridge when they are cold.

Advertisement