Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Alun wrote: »
    I prefer the butternut squash one myself, the big problem I have with both of them is that sometimes they've stuck together in the packet, and when you try to separate them you get tiny holes which means the filling oozes out.

Coupled with the fact that my cooker is extremely slow to react when turning the heat down and they go on the boil instead of a slow simmer, more often than not a good number of them end up empty swimming in a diluted butternut squash soup :D
    Oh yeah that has happened to me and it's fairly gross. A drop of oil in the water should unstick them a bit. but that hasn't happened to me in a while now so maybe they've sorted the stick factor out

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kiltealy123

Nearly everything in Aldi is great. I have one complaint today though..... Yesterday I bought a tub of their' Spreadable'. This is new and tastes divine but should be called 'Pourable' 2 minutes out of the fridge and it's a gloopy ( nice tasting ) mess. I usually get Kilkeely Gold at half the price but their was none in stock. I hope that this is not a replacement product.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Can someone recommend a thin four cheese/Margherita pizza from Aldi?

The one I was buying in Tesco has been discontinued and I don't like Chicago Town and Goodfella's.

And I do make my own pizza now and again but I still want a recommendation for a frozen one.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Carrie6OD wrote:
    With the fresh pasta in the fridge. It's really nice. They have butternut squash too which is nice but the aubergine is better.

The tortellini is nice too but it's never there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

One of my complaints is the onions, the Egans ones I have bought are mostly gone off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Zelda247 wrote: »
    One of my complaints is the onions, the Egans ones I have bought are mostly gone off.

And the mushrooms only last a day or so before going brown :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Why buy them then? put them back !

The Aldi Specially selected frozen jumbo potato wedges are awesome, and an absolute steal at 99c per bag

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carlo5

Titan bars!!! Or most of their cookies for that matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what do you do with that strong spreadable cheese.

what do you put it on, I got a tub on the back of this thread, but no idea what to do with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why buy them then? put them back !

The Aldi Specially selected frozen jumbo potato wedges are awesome, and an absolute steal at 99c per bag

Mostly I don't have time to test each onion, if a couple feel o.k. I just pick up the net but its usually when I get home I find that some have gone off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

cobham wrote: »
    Have to agree about the Angus burger.... huge amount of grease came out, cheap pale pink appearance. Not a patch on quality of fresh Angus meat

We have these sometimes and the OH loves them. Frozen burgers will always give off a lot of water. It is not just grease in the pan. But I agree that there is still a hell of a lot of grease left in the pan afterwards.

But they are very nice to eat. Nicer than fresh burgers in Aldi.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Can someone recommend a thin four cheese/Margherita pizza from Aldi?

The one I was buying in Tesco has been discontinued and I don't like Chicago Town and Goodfella's.

And I do make my own pizza now and again but I still want a recommendation for a frozen one.
    Cheers.

Think most of the Carlos range are good enough, pity about Tesco dropping their own brand ones as that four cheese one was lovely and a steal at €1.50

Mostly I don't have time to test each onion, if a couple feel o.k. I just pick up the net but its usually when I get home I find that some have gone off.

Get some free advice here ;)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=364185

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Re: onions, bear in mind that mid to late August is the usual harvesting time for onions, in Europe at least, so any you have bought in recent months will already have been in storage for a good while. The new harvest should start coming through once the current Stockdale has been exhausted. Also the weather, especially wet damp weather, can affect the quality a lot though, so some years are better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the organic onions are always good and firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

69 cent until Sunday in lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Melendez wrote: »
    I think the onion problem is universal. I seem to have got a higher proportion of unusable onions from all sources over the last year or so than I remember being the case before. I got my first ever net of organic onions from Aldi on Saturday; the first one I cut into was off (the second was fine!).

Bought some organic onions for the first time last week, was crying like a baby chopping them up. Have normal onions lost their bite?

Think most of the Carlos range are good enough, pity about Tesco dropping their own brand ones as that four cheese one was lovely and a steal at €1.50

I popped into Aldi today and picked up a Carlos Stonebaked Four Cheese Pizza (on offer at the mo at 99c). I am interested in tasting it as it looks very similar to the one I was getting in Tesco.

BUT then I went into Tesco and they now have the Stonebaked Four Cheese one back in stock!
    I nearly did a little dance when I saw them.
    Here it is: (it's €1.03 and the tastiest four cheese pizza I've ever had. The tomato base alone is to die for.)

2zr3m00.jpg

Agreed for 1.03 it's crazy value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

None in Bray, bah. Looks like they're phasing them out for a slightly more expensive own brand version for €1.40, Tesco Trattoria Verdi?

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257306199

Thargor wrote: »
    None in Bray, bah. Looks like they're phasing them out for a slightly more expensive own brand version for €1.40, Tesco Trattoria Verdi?

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257306199

Dont buy that.
    Bought it yesterday and it was the blandest, most cardboardy thing I ever tasted.
    Loads of the yum Stonebaked ones in Nutgrove though if you want to travel!

Balls already in the oven, itsthe thin stonebaked version and I dumping a load of my own mature cheddar on it so hopefully not too bad.

Balls already in the oven, itsthe thin stonebaked version and I dumping a load of my own mature cheddar on it so hopefully not too bad.

It was the sauce and the base I didnt like but lt us know what its like with the extra cheese!

Yeah its a good thing I threw a load of my own cheese on there with some fried onions donated by my flatmate because that was a very bland pizza lright, just as generic as frozen pizza gets, serves me right for going into Tesco tbh, they never fail to disappoint.

Yeah its a good thing I threw a load of my own cheese on there with some fried onions donated by my flatmate because that was a very bland pizza lright, just as generic as frozen pizza gets, serves me right for going into Tesco tbh, they never fail to disappoint.

Defo try the one I get though. Its full of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

fussyonion wrote: »
    I popped into Aldi today and picked up a Carlos Stonebaked Four Cheese Pizza (on offer at the mo at 99c). I am interested in tasting it as it looks very similar to the one I was getting in Tesco.

BUT then I went into Tesco and they now have the Stonebaked Four Cheese one back in stock!
    I nearly did a little dance when I saw them.
    Here it is: (it's €1.03 and the tastiest four cheese pizza I've ever had. The tomato base alone is to die for.)

2zr3m00.jpg

I was going to suggest Carlos pizzas but they are very like Goodfellas pizzas to me, i love Goodfellas though, the deep base one.

Anyway Aldi yougurst creamy Raspberry and Apricot are lovely. love Apricot yogurts, and there spreadable cheese triangles are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Don't know if they do any good or not but their cholesterol reducing drink is a fraction of the price of the named brands. The plain one is my favourite.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Don't know if they do any good or not but their cholesterol reducing drink is a fraction of the price of the named brands. The plain one is my favourite.

A good balance is all you need. Pizza today, exercise like crazy next day. Sorted. Anyone try the jumbo wedges yet? Interested to hear what ya think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

A good balance is all you need. Pizza today, exercise like crazy next day. Sorted. Anyone try the jumbo wedges yet? Interested to hear what ya think.

I totally agree, but, sure I'll hedge my bet on the genetic side. :)

Once a week or so I also pop a multivitamin, in the hope that I do actually pee it all out, but if the body needs a little help it gets it.

Advertisement