Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

.red. wrote: »
    Might be too late now but I'd recommend making your own with the aldi products.
    The pack of 2, stone baked pizza bases in the fridge.
    Pizza sauce in the same section as all the tomato products.
    A miserly sprinkle of the grated mozzarella.
    Some of the real mozzarella, thinly sliced and scattered over.
    Whatever else you like.
    We have these every few weeks and they're easily the best pizza we've ever cooked at home. The oven takes longer to heat up than it does to make the 2 of them.

Also a light drizzle of Aldi* Extra Virgin olive oil before and after cooking really lift's any pizza.

*Obviously Aldi EVOO given the thread ):

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Whatever else you like.
    We have these every few weeks and they're easily the best pizza we've ever cooked at home. The oven takes longer to heat up than it does to make the 2 of them.

Can I just give a huge "thank you" shout out to this post?!

I've tried making pizza before, and they were always bland, slightly soggy, and hugely disappointing. I could never figure out why, so just gave up trying.

Today I bought all of the above, plus some of my favourite toppings - and had an AMAZING pizza for dinner tonight :)

I put too much pizza sauce on the base this time, but that's just a lesson learned that can be corrected next time.

Two questions -

Does anyone know if the pizza bases freeze well? It doesn't say either way on the packaging - it'd be nice not to have to overdose on pizza two nights in close succession.

And has anyone tried the sourdough bases? Good, bad or indifferent???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I've tried making pizza before, and they were always bland, slightly soggy, and hugely disappointing. I could never figure out why, so just gave up trying.

Today I bought all of the above, plus some of my favourite toppings - and had an AMAZING pizza for dinner tonight :)

I put too much pizza sauce on the base this time, but that's just a lesson learned that can be corrected next time.

Two questions -

Does anyone know if the pizza bases freeze well? It doesn't say either way on the packaging - it'd be nice not to have to overdose on pizza two nights in close succession.

Bases freeze fine and the sourdough bases are much better than plain ones. :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What does the pizza tomato sauce look like? Is it a can?

awec wrote: »
    What does the pizza tomato sauce look like? Is it a can?

The stuff I got was in a jar, beside all the passatas/pasta sauces etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

The stuff I got was in a jar, beside all the passatas/pasta sauces etc

Assume it's this one? I liked it but would prefer mutti. Even just their plain chopped tomatoes.

551888.jpg

Ryath wrote: »
    Assume it's this one? I liked it but would prefer mutti. Even just their plain chopped tomatoes.

551888.jpg

That's the one.

I think I probably used plain passata before, and that's why my effort turned out bland (to my taste).

I like the fact that it's been seasoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

Anon.123 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any recommendations for gluten/dairy free items there?

Thanks.

Not sure about DF but I would absolutely recommend their Free From range for bread and treats. Aldi have a link on their website that gives a list of everything that is gluten free in all sections which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Two questions -

Glad you liked it.
    I got the 2 cheeses tip from a friend who works in a pizza restaurant. He said the meaner you are with the grated mozzarella, the better the pizza.
    The sauce says its enough to do 2 pizzas but we usually have a little left over.
    I'm hungry now and would love one for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Has anyone tried the new Protein bars they have at checkout?

Seen Birthday cake and a few others. Was going to add a few to my shop earlier but I was reluctant to swap out their Toffee crisp bars I had picked up.

They look like knock-off Grenade bars. I tried protein bars from them before and they were decent - 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Whatever else you like.

Do you normally whack these straight into the oven or do you cook the base on the pan first?

Must try this

Luap wrote: »
    Do you normally whack these straight into the oven or do you cook the base on the pan first?

Must try this

I just topped the base, and into a 200 oven for 10 mins.
    Delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

can also attest to the quality of those sourdough bases

we make our own sauce and buy toppings in aldi too

better than any frozen pizza

Oh I'm dying to try the sourdough ones now!

I'll have put myself off pizza for life at this rate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aldi recalling Roosters Chicken Goujons
    Product:
    Breaded Chicken Goujons; pack size: 320g

Batch Code:
    20300B and 20323B; best before end dates: October 2021 and November 2021

Country Of Origin:
    Ireland

Aldi Ireland is recalling the above batches of its Roosters Breaded Chicken Goujons due to the presence of Salmonella. The presence of Salmonella may make this product unsafe.
    https://www.fsai.ie/news_centre/food_alerts/roosters_breaded_chicken_goujons.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Luap wrote: »

Must try this

As others have said, just top the bases and into an oven. We usually cook 2 so, swap top-bottom half ways thru cooking.

The Lidl bases are equally as good, might even be the same ones in different packaging. Super valu do them too but they're over twice the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just finished one of the sourdough pizza bases with their garlic and basil base sauce. Absolutely beautiful, good tip on the mozzarella too! These will become a weekly buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Had the fajita kit tonight for the first time and really liked it. The Bbq flavor one, it says mild and it was - some of the other brands say mild but kids still find them spicy. This one was very tasty and the fajitas were so nice and soft, really good and will definitely buy again. Don’t know how much it was, and didn’t use the salsa so can’t say if that’s nice.

I've completely overdosed on pizza this week thanks to this thread! Just because I hate wasting food.....

And I still had stuff left over, so the grated mozzarella, the leftover pineapple (don't shoot me!), pepperoni and the remains of the pizza sauce have gone into the freezer - seeing as you can freeze a pizza, I see no reason why the individual elements can't be frozen..... I suppose I'll find out when I can next face another pizza..... it might be a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭mjp

These pizza bases are the best and prefer the bases which roll out over the sourdough ones. I make my own base sauce using mix of Passat tomato puree basil and my own secret touch which is teaspoon of tomato relish. Relish gives it a lovely taste. Also find that the grated mozzarella is better when applied from frozen to the pizzas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

Is this the pizza base people say is good? Pizza Base 385g Greenvale €1.49 https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-pizza-base-385g-greenvale/4088600107073
    Is it just one base per pack? I might pick some up for the weekend.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

That's not the one I used.

Pic attached of the packaging, there's also a sourdough version that I haven't tried, but that's up next!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,595 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I had a bag of skin on fries in the freezer and I opened them and found some type of Chicken Goujon.
    195306359_2958325497823385_7281378809056356573_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=Mgl9lO_TsjsAX8yi4fM&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=bf1ad1502cca1cd5d940aed99649b6b1&oe=60DCFC09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭con747

:eek:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I had a bag of skin on fries in the freezer and I opened them and found some type of Chicken Goujon.
    Definitely Chicken, or a few mushed together and frozen?
    Have you broken it in half, or cooked it and cut it?

Suckit wrote: »
    Definitely Chicken, or a few mushed together and frozen?
    Have you broken it in half, or cooked it and cut it?

Ya I left it defrost and it was very battered and it looked like chicken to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Yikes.. :eek:
    I'm really trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Ingredients on this page - https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-four-seasons-skin-on-fries-800g/4088600285702

Ingredients Potatoes (87%), Sunflower OIL, Modified Potato Starch, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Salt, Dextrin, Raising Agents: Diphosphates, Sodium Carbonates; Dextrose, Spice Extracts, Thickener: Xanthan Gum.

I wonder could it be a glob of them stuck together?
    I've tried searching for them and to see what other products they do, but they seem to only do frozen fruit or veg. But IDK. Somebody else here might know exactly who they are.

Suckit wrote: »
    Yikes.. :eek:
    I'm really trying to give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Ingredients on this page - https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-four-seasons-skin-on-fries-800g/4088600285702

I wonder could it be a glob of them stuck together?

I originally thought that also but when I broke it apart it jut had the same consistency as chicken. I could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Send them that pic on twitter, would be interested to see what they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

mjp wrote: »
    These pizza bases are the best and prefer the bases which roll out over the sourdough ones. I make my own base sauce using mix of Passat tomato puree basil and my own secret touch which is teaspoon of tomato relish. Relish gives it a lovely taste. Also find that the grated mozzarella is better when applied from frozen to the pizzas

hi would you mind posting the exact quantities of how you make the sauce please.
    I've never successfully made pizza sauce, it's always bitter.

Advertisement