Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

Had one of the fresh vegetable "speciality" pizza last night - the oval type pizza. Was really nice! My wife normally dislikes olives but they added a nice flavour to the pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Those oval ones are nice indeed. Fan of the "meaty" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nice to hear as I've one on the menu this weekend !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I bought the instant Mochas yesterday and they're not nice! Tesco ones are a hell of a lot tastier.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dónal wrote: »
    Had one of the fresh vegetable "speciality" pizza last night - the oval type pizza. Was really nice! My wife normally dislikes olives but they added a nice flavour to the pizza.
    inforfun wrote: »
    Those oval ones are nice indeed. Fan of the "meaty" one.
    What are these oval pizzas of which you speak??

Went looking for one today but couldn't see any fresh ones at all, only the usual frozen ones - including two varieties of Specially Selected ones stoneground ones, but they didn't sound like the above ones.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What are these oval pizzas of which you speak??

Went looking for one today but couldn't see any fresh ones at all, only the usual frozen ones - including two varieties of Specially Selected ones stoneground ones, but they didn't sound like the above ones.....

I have stared into empty spaces as well when looking for them.
    Think you might want to be an early shopper in order to be sure of them

That is how they look, boxed.
    96452_Chilled-Pizza---Aldi--Spicy-Italian-Schiacciata-Salami.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Those pizzas are in the fridges under where the fresh pasta is.

I've seen them most weeks lately but haven't tried one yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

vicwatson wrote: »
    A good balance is all you need. Pizza today, exercise like crazy next day. Sorted. Anyone try the jumbo wedges yet? Interested to hear what ya think.

I tried them. I don't have the photo anymore but I got a 'wedge' the size of a remote control. No joke. Wasn't that impressed with the others either to be honest

I quite like their specially selected instant coffee (€1.99). I like fresh percolated coffee but when I'm home alone, a cup of this is grand

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just wondering is there any Lidl recommendations thread? I just want to know has anyone tried the patatas bravas? There in the specials this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

fin12 wrote: »
    Just wondering is there any Lidl recommendations thread? I just want to know has anyone tried the patatas bravas? There in the specials this week

Haven't had them but any 'authentic' patatas bravas I've had have come with a tomato based dipping sauce, sometimes spicy. The Lidl ones are just the potato pieces as far as I can see?

• Advertisement

SteM wrote: »
    Haven't had them but any 'authentic' patatas bravas I've had have come with a tomato based dipping sauce, sometimes spicy. The Lidl ones are just the potato pieces as far as I can see?

ya i think they are a packet, probably get them in the freezer. I had patatas bravas on holidays were so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

fin12 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057482448

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had the Aldi fresh Hake, it was awful!... I am not a great lover of fish on the whole but this was awful. I simply fried it in olive oil but it was tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

That's a pity. We had it a few weeks ago - cooked it this way

https://thesilverchicken.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/hake-in-a-parcel/ (didn't use the Samphire)

had it with Jasmine rice and thought it was nice. Even our 4 year old seemed to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I got their Moroccan hummus over the weekend - really nice :)

Tried this for the first time today and was really impressed - very tasty indeed and very cheap at only 89 cent (if I remember correctly :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

SteM wrote: »
    That's a pity. We had it a few weeks ago - cooked it this way

https://thesilverchicken.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/hake-in-a-parcel/ (didn't use the Samphire)

had it with Jasmine rice and thought it was nice. Even our 4 year old seemed to like it.

I had the hake yesterday. Topped with a smear of basil pesto and wrapped in parma ham it baked beautifully. The fish itself had a nice bit of flavour, and the pesto/ham seasoned it up pretty well.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    I had the hake yesterday. Topped with a smear of basil pesto and wrapped in parma ham it baked beautifully. The fish itself had a nice bit of flavour, and the pesto/ham seasoned it up pretty well.

Maybe its me I just am not keen on fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Maybe its me I just am not keen on fish.
    Well, unlike other foodstuffs, it's not as if Aldi can somehow source non-farmed fish that has less flavour than other suppliers do. Hake is hake is hake ... it is what it is, so it's not the fault of the basic ingredient here.

Did you season the fish at all? I sometimes simply bake it in the oven, with a good lashing of olive oil, freshly ground sea salt and black pepper with a slice of lemon on top. Can't get simpler than that, and tasty too. Alternatively baked on a bed of thinly sliced onions, fennel and garlic, again with lashings of olive oil, a dash of white wine, salt and pepper, maybe throw in a few cherry tomatoes too.

Alun wrote: »
    Well, unlike other foodstuffs, it's not as if Aldi can somehow source non-farmed fish that has less flavour than other suppliers do. Hake is hake is hake ... it is what it is, so it's not the fault of the basic ingredient here.

Did you season the fish at all? I sometimes simply bake it in the oven, with a good lashing of olive oil, freshly ground sea salt and black pepper with a slice of lemon on top. Can't get simpler than that, and tasty too. Alternatively baked on a bed of thinly sliced onions, fennel and garlic, again with lashings of olive oil, a dash of white wine, salt and pepper, maybe throw in a few cherry tomatoes too.

no, I did not season (silly me) I just fried in olive oil, to be honest here thinking about it maybe it was just me and that I am not keen on fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I had the Aldi fresh Hake, it was awful!... I am not a great lover of fish on the whole but this was awful. I simply fried it in olive oil but it was tasteless.

Mistake frying it in Olive Oil, OO only good for dressings IMO, not for frying

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

1412631100007_wps_22_Savvy_Shopper_Items.jpg

Wensleydale with cranberries, this stuff is delicious.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Mistake frying it in Olive Oil, OO only good for dressings IMO, not for frying

Thanks but again its probably me regarding the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wensleydale with cranberries, this stuff is delicious.
    It's even better with no extraneous "stuff" in it at all, believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Aldis (relatively) new range of threebean, and rice and bean stir frys are seriously good.

They're frozen, but can be in wok/plate in ten minutes or so.

I just had the rice/beans one this evening, stir fried it with some finely chopped chilli, scallions and garlic.

Threw in a tiny pinch of fennel seed (love its citrus taste) and a sprinkle of chilli and paprika powder.

Lastly before dishing out on to the place, I gave a lime segment a good squeeze all over.

Served it up with some lemon and pepper chicken thighs from Aldi with the rice/beans as its bed.

Healthy, easy to make, very good value for money, and delicious dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,017 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Aldis (relatively) new range of threebean, and rice and bean stir frys are seriously good.

They're frozen, but can be in wok/plate in ten minutes or so.

I just had the rice/beans one this evening, stir fried it with some finely chopped chilli, scallions and garlic.

Threw in a tiny pinch of fennel seed (love its citrus taste) and a sprinkle of chilli and paprika powder.

Lastly before dishing out on to the place, I gave a lime segment a good squeeze all over.

Served it up with some lemon and pepper chicken thighs from Aldi with the rice/beans as its bed.

Healthy, easy to make, very good value for money, and delicious dinner.

You're after making me hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I love the Greek yogurt - you can't really go wrong for a euro. Mixing some blueberries in with it makes for a great snack!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks but again its probably me regarding the taste.

I'm not a lover of fish either, and I find the flavour of hake very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

I rarely cook anythin major at home apart from a sunday dinner.

I like their brannans smoked bacon

kavanaghs oats

the curry sauce powder in a red tin (bit dear at 2.99) but the kids love it and sometimes I use it to flavour basmati rice (also from Aldi)

their smooth peanut butter is good with rye bread for bedtime snack

the dentyx toothpaste in a blue tube is great value - whitens up teeth and is only 80c

all their household essentials are good value (toilet roll, softner etc.)

things I have to go elsewhere for are pure cocoa and red lentils

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Their chunky bars are lovely and same as yellow snacks.

I love all their crackers particularly their new range of coconut and cranberry ones. Also love all their cheeses. I'm not the biggest fine of their meats but in probably overly fussy.

Does anyone know when is the best time to get a fridge full of salads? I've a party this weekend and wang to stock up but the fridge is always empty. In particular I wanted the orzo salad and 5 grain salad.

Advertisement