Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

fussyonion wrote: »
    Ooh, how hot are they?
    Are they like Doritos Chilli Heatwave, i.e not really hot, or are they like Doritos Roulette, which are HOT?

They're fine. Hot, but not as bad as I thought they'd be. Lovely flavour to them as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Ooh, how hot are they?
    Are they like Doritos Chilli Heatwave, i.e not really hot, or are they like Doritos Roulette, which are HOT?

My OH tried them last night. He's a die hard doritos chilli heatwave fan.

He wasn't keen on them last night but finished the rest off today. If you dont expect them to be like doritos I think theyre grand!

They have a kick to them but are not hot, thats all relative to how spicy you like things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Has anybody tried the sushi? It is advertised in their back to school brochure but isn't available in my local Aldi yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Layinghen wrote: »
    Has anybody tried the sushi? It is advertised in their back to school brochure but isn't available in my local Aldi yet.

Yep, it's good!
    Its around 4,50 I think , and the same branded pack is around 6 Euro in most shops.
    You'll find it in the chilled section either near the premade salads or sometimes with the prepared and packed fish products.
    It comes with nice sachet of ginger, wasabi and soy sauce too.

Thanks for that, will search again on my next visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is 1 tray of sushi meant to be a meal for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Addle wrote: »
    Is 1 tray of sushi meant to be a meal for one?

I reckon so. I'd have it for lunch the odd time in work.
    I'd need a good dinner once home though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If you put "Ghost Chili" on a bag of chips you'd expect them to actually hurt, not be a bland mild chilli flavour like you'd get in a bag of Tesco own brand. The sour cream and sweet chilli in the pink bag that they sell all year round are hotter, cheaper and a way nicer flavour...

373870.png

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thargor wrote: »
    If you put "Ghost Chili" on a bag of chips you'd expect them to actually hurt, not be a bland mild chilli flavour like you'd get in a bag of Tesco own brand. The sour cream and sweet chilli in the pink bag that they sell all year round are hotter, cheaper and a way nicer flavour...

373870.png

Those crisps are so nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

That dry rub marinade they do is very nice.

Just had the Brazilian barbecue one over some chicken thighs.

I removed all the skin from the chicken, then scored it (quite aggressively I may add) making deep incisions into the flesh.

I then hand rubbed the marinade into the flesh (both sides) and put them into the oven on s pre heated tray.

15 min on one side, took them out, turned chicken, and then put them back in for another fifteen minutes.

They came out of the oven nice and crispy with a lovely Smokey, but slightly hot flavour to them.

Served them up with baked spuds and salad.

Nothing but bones left, and four belly filled happy adults.

Delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

fin12 wrote: »
    Those crisps are so nice.

They have nothing on O'Donnells sweet chilli crisps. Worth the extra euro or so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Right now they've a range of 1 litre bottles of flavoured fizzy water for 40c - the elderflower one is really lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

They have nothing on O'Donnells sweet chilli crisps. Worth the extra euro or so!

Ya but these are sweet chilli and sour creme flavour. I think O Donnells crisps the salt n vinegar ones are lovely but they don't do sweet chilli and sour creme flavour as far as I know. I tried the kettle sweet chilli and sour creme and lidls version but Aldi's ones are the nicest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Not sure if I saw it on this thread or just picked them up, but there's a 3 pack of white chocolate covered raspberry ripple ice cream lollies with kinda biscuit-y bits in the chocolate that are fantastic.

They are gorgeous. So too are the salted caramel ice cream that are usually with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Layinghen wrote: »
    They are gorgeous. So too are the salted caramel ice cream that are usually with them.
    This is excellent news!

I don't normally buy/keep sweet stuff, so keep forgetting to try them, but I'm a total sucker for salted caramel so got a pack of these for the freezer recently.

Must remember to actually eat them some time!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This is excellent news!

I don't normally buy/keep sweet stuff, so keep forgetting to try them, but I'm a total sucker for salted caramel so got a pack of these for the freezer recently.

Must remember to actually eat them some time!

Well all I can say is YUMMMMMM!

Those are good!

(Except for the last bit, which is always tainted sour by the stick - not only Aldi ones but all ice-creams on sticks. Why can they not sort this :confused: It ruins the best bit!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

What does anyone think of Aldi's Total or Extreme mouthwash, its the dearest one they have anyway, it tastes like acid but is it any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Which of the spreadable cheese is the one that was recommended a few few pages back? Couldn't find the name and they had a few in store.

Got the sourdough bread. Yummmm!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

If you like nice, light, healthy bread rolls - try the Sinnack Stone Baked Spelt rolls - they're of German origin. I'm addicted! They're part-baked and you finish them off in the oven for 10-12 mins and leave to cool for another few mins. Lovely and soft/squidgy on the inside and crisp on the outside. Try stuffing them with a couple of slices of goat's cheese, tomato and a burger :) or whatever ... great to have in the store cupboard for when you need a quick lunch etc.

The Rib Eye steaks are the best - just wish they'd make them a bit thicker!

They also do free-range chicken breasts, when our local Tesco only do whole chickens free-range, if they have any in. I'm definitely finding that I do a lot more quality meat shopping now in Aldi and only go to Tesco as a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Antibac wrote: »
    Which of the spreadable cheese is the one that was recommended a few few pages back? Couldn't find the name and they had a few in store.

Got the sourdough bread. Yummmm!!!

It's called Strong & Spreadable.
    I did like it but it's quite thick. Perfect if you like thicker spreads and the flavour's really good.
    It's in a red tub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Bought a tub of Meridian peanut butter this evening from Aldi, first impressions upon opening it was that someone did a number two in a jar and then resealed it :D

However, just do as instructed on the lid, and give it a good stir, and oh my God, best peanut butter I've ever had.

I'm someone who loves their peanut butter, whether its spreader on a bagel, or eaten with scrambled eggs, to just using it as a dip for sliced fruit or veg, I can't get enough of it.

However, it would seem after eating this, that I have been getting the heavily processed, preserved and over sweetened stuff.

Can't recall the price, I think it was €4 but it was money well spent. I reckon I've found a new essential to my fridge.

Try it. You'll love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Bought a tub of Meridian peanut butter this evening from Aldi, first impressions upon opening it was that someone did a number two in a jar and then resealed it :D

However, just do as instructed on the lid, and give it a good stir, and oh my God, best peanut butter I've ever had.

I'm someone who loves their peanut butter, whether its spreader on a bagel, or eaten with scrambled eggs, to just using it as a dip for sliced fruit or veg, I can't get enough of it.

However, it would seem after eating this, that I have been getting the heavily processed, preserved and over sweetened stuff.

Can't recall the price, I think it was €4 but it was money well spent. I reckon I've found a new essential to my fridge.

Try it. You'll love it.

Not an Aldi product but a special this week. But it's good stuff alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

It's called Strong & Spreadable.
    I did like it but it's quite thick. Perfect if you like thicker spreads and the flavour's really good.
    It's in a red tub.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Try it. You'll love it.

Nothing in the meridian other than peanuts. It's fab stuff.

They do a whole range of nut butters, almond, cashew, hazelnut etc. I tend to pick them up in Holland and Barrett when they're on sale. They also do nut and coconut mixed butters too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Whispered wrote: »
    Nothing in the meridian other than peanuts. It's fab stuff.

They do a whole range of nut butters, almond, cashew, hazelnut etc. I tend to pick them up in Holland and Barrett when they're on sale. They also do nut and coconut mixed butters too.

The Cashew Butters both crunchy and smooth are very good but becoming very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had the Aldi Berry and Custard Strudel, its in the frozen section I think its about 1.30, it was absolutely delicious!

Last night I tried their new Wholewheat rice and Quinoa, gosh it was lovely, I think it was about 99c and you just pop it in the microwave for 2 mins, we had it with a salad and one of the Aldi duck breasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Had a friend over with a gluten intolerance and bought the gluten free lemon muffins and they are divine.

Couldn't tell any difference from a wheat based flour muffin and they are really top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

All their GF treats are pretty good in my experience. biscuits, muffins and apple tart (currently MIA) are particularly good, and "like normal stuff".

The GF bread isn't great, but still better than some of the stuff out there. And you can't really go wrong with GF flour and porridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Tried the 6 pack of Spuddy Crisps and very nice!
    I'm usually a Tayto or nothing crisp person but pleasantly surprised.
    Only four packets left now....!

Advertisement