Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Raisin and Almond?
    I'd never tried Granola before but found this really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Mrs Stewart served me a bowl of Aldis "skinny Thai carrot soup" there this afternoon, and I was pretty dam impressed. Lovely and flavoursome with a good hint of lemongrass and chlli.

Also, I'm big into their new yoghurts at the minute, they're layered yoghurts, described as fat free, high protein, and strained. They're like eating ice cream!

Not sure of the name of them, but fairly certain they're new(ish)

Can't seem to find them on the website though. (Is it just me, or is their site a bit crap?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres new products appearing and disappearing in that yogurt/pudding section every time I go past and its all lovely, completely different level to generic processed crap like Yoplait. So cheap aswell, just goes to show how long Tesco and Dunnes and the rest spent ripping us off before the Germans came.

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres new products appearing and disappearing in that yogurt/pudding section every time I go past and its all lovely, completely different level to generic processed crap like Yoplait. So cheap aswell, just goes to show how long Tesco and Dunnes and the rest spent ripping us off before the Germans came.

49c a tub if I recall right.

I've noticed they're doing "quark" now too.

My other half is mad into.slimming world, and a few of her essentials can now be got in Aldi for a fraction of the other guys stuff.

They do a vintage cheddar which is excellent, and a cheese that is suspiciously very similar in appearance to crackerbarrel, I.forget the name.

I have started to replace spaghetti with their spiralised courgette, I serve it up with some finely diced onion, fried.garlic, oregano, basil, a tin of tomatoes and then chuck in some of the tiger prawns about four mins before dishing it out .

I've never been able to eat so healthy for so little, they really have some excellent products at excellent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Margaret's brown bread is lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Tried Aldi sushi tonight ... nope, sorry, absolute muck.

On the plus side, their acai yoghurt 4 pack is divine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Staplor wrote: »
    Margaret's brown bread is lovely.

Anyone know if this is nationwide? Couldn't find it in my local

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Antibac wrote: »

It is here in Kerry, I must admit I did not like this bread at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Antibac wrote: »

I've got it in a couple near Dublin, haven't been further away to look for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Alf, how much is the quark (if you can recall)? Off to do the main shop tonight and OTT-excited about cheaper quark :o It's €1.69/89 in most places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

On the plus side, their acai yoghurt 4 pack is divine

Jaysus I didn't know they did acai yogurt.

Alf, how much is the quark (if you can recall)? Off to do the main shop tonight and OTT-excited about cheaper quark :o It's €1.69/89 in most places.

Not too sure, but I will check with herself.

I do remember that its positioned to The very left of the fridge with cheeses etc, close to the ham (if that makes sense)'about second from the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Their Yoghurts are loaded with added suggar so i keep well away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

In fairness, I found it on par with any of the branded supermarket sushis out there, and for 1/3 less the price.

Must try the spirilised Courgettes. Never noticed them, and I've been meaning to try them instead of spaghetti / noodles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

whiskeyman wrote: »
    In fairness, I found it on par with any of the branded supermarket sushis out there, and for 1/3 less the price.

Must try the spirilised Courgettes. Never noticed them, and I've been meaning to try them instead of spaghetti / noodles

Regardless of price, muck is muck, I'm a fan of Aldi product, but this is up there near the top for disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Their Yoghurts are loaded with added suggar so i keep well away from them.

any idea what % sugar they were? are you comparing like with like, i.e. are they high in sugar per gram compared to tesco or lidl etc?

I ask since in the lidl thread someone claimed their own brand bars are much higher in sugar and calories than the name brand ones -and they are not.

If you think ALL supermarket yoghurts are high in sugar then you should make that clear.

rubadub wrote: »
    any idea what % sugar they were? are you comparing like with like, i.e. are they high in sugar per gram compared to tesco or lidl etc?

I ask since in the lidl thread someone claimed their own brand bars are much higher in sugar and calories than the name brand ones -and they are not.

If you think ALL supermarket yoghurts are high in sugar then you should make that clear.

Heres the stuff I've taken a fondness for.

PQxqr0.jpg

Wesxb2.jpg

2peG9e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Heres the stuff I've taken a fondness for.
    Cheers, they do not declare how much sugar is added, you can only tell its more than 5%, but 11% sugar overall, some naturally occurring of course. Tesco have 3 blueberry ones 11%, 11.4% 13.6% overall sugars. One is 8% sugar another 9% added sugar. A glenisk kids one has no refined white sugar added, they add it as agave syrup intead (some consider this worse than sugar though)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

^^ try avoid fat free stuff.
    They tend to have a huge amount more sugar in or added.
    Also, recent studies have shown sugar to be more the problem and not fats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ballindud

Yeah must vouch for Aldi and or Lidl - have not had a bad food item from either - the fresh bread at Lidl is just fab. I have purchased some tools from both of these stroes and they are also excellent, however, I would not recommend the battery powered items as they ore not Lithium Ion but then they are much cheaper for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Zelda247 wrote: »
    It is here in Kerry, I must admit I did not like this bread at all.

Does'nt seem to be available in Drogheda area

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I went to Aldi today for the first time in over 2 years. I was like a child in a sweet shop :D. I was wandering around, grabbing items, exclaiming "They say this is good!" and "They said this is lovely!". I think my husband thought I lost my mind!

I believe it is priced at €1.09.

I seen it earlier, but have since taken a little girl from pillar to post for a sixth birthday treat and now am not sure if I'm coming or going!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I know this is an old post, but how did this go unchecked!? :pac:
    Bought a tub of Meridian peanut butter this evening from Aldi, first impressions upon opening it was that someone did a number two in a jar and then resealed it :D

However, just do as instructed on the lid, and give it a good stir, and oh my God, best peanut butter I've ever had.

I'm someone who loves their peanut butter, whether its spreader on a bagel, or eaten with scrambled eggs, to just using it as a dip for sliced fruit or veg, I can't get enough of it. ......

We do our main shop in Aldi, stuff that I'd recommend:

As per the air fryer thread the specially selected chunky chips are excellent (black bag, mentions being made with morris piper potatoes)

Fajitas - More of a recipe since there is a good bit of stuff in it, but this is a firm favorite in our house as its very handy and easy to make. Cost around a fiver (more if you add the veg pack, this is E1.79 or so) and should easily feed 4 adults. Don't forget to get cheese and what ever salad you'd like with it!
    • Wraps - Bottom shelf of the bread section
    • (Optional) Fajita Veg pack - down beside the salads. Basically a bag of chopped onion and peppers with a falvouring packet
    • Pork mince - (Kinda unusual i think, but dont knock it til you've tried it!)
    • Salsa - Beside the crisps (we like the hot one)
    • Flavour packets - beside the jarred sauces (this is also fairly easy to make up yourself)
    • Kidney beans and sweetcorn - Tins above the freezer (accross from the milk in my one)

Frozen chopped Onions and Mixed peppers - Incredibly lazy of me but these are pretty handy to have. I dont think I'd have them in a sandwich or anything but for longer cooking sauces (chillis etc) they seem to be pretty good. Its handy cause no prep or clean up and you can use as much as you need with no waste. New baby in our house so every corner that can be cut helps :pac:

Speaking of baby, not food but a "grocery" I guess, is the Aldi nappies seem good. Id criteria for rating nappies would be based on rash and leakage and so far so good! E2 for 24 makes them less than half the price of pampers in Tesco.

Some things I dont like from Aldi:
    Split pot yogurts, Not as nice as Muller. Lidl ones are better
    Bacon cubes, arent as nice as they were, Again, they are better in Lidl

I know this is an old post, but how did this go unchecked!? :pac:

I should make it clear I don't mix the two (peanutbutter/scrambled eggs) but rather place the peanut butter at the side, as a dip, or an alternative to ketchup etc...

Protein with protein.

Delicious, try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Bacon cubes, arent as nice as they were, Again, they are better in Lidl

If you are looking for bacon cubes I highly recommend the pancetta cubes in Aldi... I could eat them by the packet!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm late to the party, but I can now confirm that the brioche burger buns and the specially selected Angus burgers are gorgeous! The burgers need a bit of garlic, but with the inclusion of garlic mayo on the bun, I'd probably never bother making my own again.

The Cranberry and Coconut snack bites are to die for, absolutely yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Zelda247 wrote: »
    The Cranberry and Coconut snack bites are to die for, absolutely yummy!
    Are they the packets of cracker-y things near the tills? Also available in Sour Cream and something?

I had the other flavour and thought they were AWFUL!! Like dodgily flavoured stale cardboard.

Not a fan!

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Are they the packets of cracker-y things near the tills? Also available in Sour Cream and something?

I had the other flavour and thought they were AWFUL!! Like dodgily flavoured stale cardboard.

Not a fan!

Yeh they are, I don't know about the other flavour but I could not stop eating the Cranberry ones.

Advertisement