Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Thargor wrote: »
    The ones I bought were disgusting, literally reminded me of the way dogfood smells.

God they were gone off? I find the meat can be hot and miss to be honest but I've never had an issue with angusxsteak. Never bought the burgers. Sometimes the mince is great, sometimes it really isn't. But the butcher today wanted 8.99/kg for mince so bought aldi again ...

The fish cakes now, new discovery for us, are fantastic. Highly recommend.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Hey everyone, figured this was the best place to ask!
    So Im a fairly broke college student who just moved out for the first time and luckily I live right beside an Aldi in Carlow.

Im just wondering what you guys would recommend is the best bang for your buck protein and calorie wise. Im fairly underweight and Id like to start changing that. Whats the cheapest fatty foods is basically what Im asking?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

TheStook wrote: »
    So Im a fairly broke college student who just moved out for the first time and luckily I live right beside an Aldi in Carlow.

Im just wondering what you guys would recommend is the best bang for your buck protein and calorie wise. Im fairly underweight and Id like to start changing that. Whats the cheapest fatty foods is basically what Im asking?

Thanks in advance!

pork chops and baked beans with milk to wash it down
    steam some broccoli and celery and bobs yer parent's brother

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

The original flavour flapjacks that are stocked near the tills are also really nice; quite heavy on the honey, but very filling. They've a blue wrapper and also come in a multipack box.

CQkz-JFWoAAhhOj.jpg

I really like most Aldi stuff I've tried, but I had one of these flapjacks last week and thought it was horrible - just tasted wet and sweet, rather than of oats or honey. Just goes to show, to each his own! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

ellee wrote: »
    God they were gone off? I find the meat can be hot and miss to be honest but I've never had an issue with angusxsteak. Never bought the burgers. Sometimes the mince is great, sometimes it really isn't. But the butcher today wanted 8.99/kg for mince so bought aldi again ...

The fish cakes now, new discovery for us, are fantastic. Highly recommend.,

Which fishcakes do you buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

TheStook wrote: »

Thanks in advance!

Aldi has plenty of good value high calorie products

cheap breakfast idea:
    100g (1 large cup) Kavanaghs oats in the morning with full fat milk
    have a tablespoon of Grandessa smooth peanut butter on the side
    if your budget can stretch i'd have an orange sliced up along with it for vitamin c

cheap lunch/dinner idea:
    100g Bilash basmati rice microwaved and rinsed with boiling water
    if you want more calories fry the rice in a tablespoon of vegetable oil after rinsing
    half a tin of Corale baked beans in the middle of the rice
    ground pepper and Bramwells brown sauce for flavour
    large tablespoon of grandessa smooth peanut butter on the side again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Thargor wrote: »
    The ones I bought were disgusting, literally reminded me of the way dogfood smells.

Yep, still reckon you had the one's with onion through them. That's exactly what I thought when I bought them by accident. Cooked without noticing and thought I must have gotten a dodgy batch or had been defrosted and refrozen or something. Was only when the remaining 2 were going in the bin I realised the reason.
    Packaging looks pretty much the same.
    Or maybe you just really don't like frozen burgers, dunno

Currently keeping an eye out for the shortbread v recommended a while back, but no joy finding them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Continuing the burger theme - I bought the frozen Specially Selected Quarter Pounders at the weekend for a BBQ - black box - 4 for €1.89 and everyone was raving about them. Unfortunately I didn't get to taste one myself. Will have to buy a box for myself next time I'm in Aldi.

I also got the Beechwood smoked Frankfurters (10 pack from the fridge) and they also went down great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is the tikka masala sauce with the spices on top in anyone's local aldi? Seems to be gone, was 1.79, if you see it get it as its great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is the tikka masala sauce with the spices on top in anyone's local aldi? Seems to be gone, was 1.79, if you see it get it as its great

Made a very determined effort to check this for you in my local (Naas Monread) Aldi this evening, and am very happy to confirm there are loads of them in stock.

Also bought a packet of the frozen burgers yer all raving about, I reckon that's the first time I have bought frozen burgers since my student days. But going by the recommendations on here, I'm willing to take a risk.

Also, bought a jar of their three fruit marmalade there this evening, and am just after polishing off a big slice of homemade brown bread with a thick layer of butter and marmalade on it, and it was delicious..... Its the kind of snack I'd get up in the middle of the night to eat, even though I'm training, and shouldn't be eating it.... :o

• Advertisement

Made a very determined effort to check this for you in my local (Naas Monread) Aldi this evening, and am very happy to confirm there are loads of them in stock.

Also bought a packet of the frozen burgers yer all raving about,
    I reckon that's the first time I have bought frozen burgers since my student days. But going by the recommendations on here, I'm willing to take a risk.

Also, bought a jar of their three fruit marmalade there this evening, and am just after polishing off a big slice of homemade brown bread with a thick layer of butter and marmalade on it, and it was delicious..... Its the kind of snack I'd get up in the middle of the night to eat, even though I'm training, and shouldn't be eating it.... :o

Home alone this evening, so made a handy dinner.

sam-jackson_featured_photo_gallery.jpg

That was a tasty burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Frozen burgers, you say!

Never had them, do you defrost them and then cook them or wha?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know does Aldi do tartare sauce? Have looked for it a couple of times with no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Frozen burgers, you say!

Cook 'em from frozen.
    They're gorgeous.

Some people here are mentioning ones that have onion in them but they're not the ones I'm talking about.
    They just say on the box (which is black): Specially Selected Angus Quarter Pounders.
    They also have Specially Selected Burgers.

They're lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

Must pick some up the weekend.

Are they nicer than the Big Al's frozen quarter pounders?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I dare you eat just a few of these and then walk away from the packet!

A56FADB4-1619-42A5-BAE5-CA73943F2345_zpsspqfqkwu.jpg

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone know does Aldi do tartare sauce? Have looked for it a couple of times with no joy

I'm almost 100% that they did, it was next to mint sauce etc, but I had a look this evening,** and there doesn't seem to be any.

(**BTW, I don't work in an Aldi, just live real close to one.):D

Must pick some up the weekend.

Are they nicer than the Big Al's frozen quarter pounders?

Yes, imo anyway. They fit perfectly inside the specially selected brioche buns btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Frozen burgers, you say!

The old frozen burger scandal from a couple of years back isn't putting any of you off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

nc6000 wrote:
    The old frozen burger scandal from a couple of years back isn't putting any of you off?

You,re probably safer now buying frozen burgers because of the scandal

• Advertisement

fussyonion wrote: »
    Cook 'em from frozen.
    They're gorgeous.

Some people here are mentioning ones that have onion in them but they're not the ones I'm talking about.
    They just say on the box (which is black): Specially Selected Angus Quarter Pounders.

They're lovely.

Ah, I never cook from frozen, all this talk about them makes me want to try them! Do you cook them in the oven, frying pan or grill them?

nc6000 wrote: »

Nah, I horse down burgers like theres no tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Muahahaha wrote:

Only every now and again.

Neigh, not at all.

I still horse em into me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Not in the type of meat way. I don't give a damn if it's horse as long as its tasty. But they showed footage from one of meat processing plants and the pink sludge that is supposed to be meat almost made me sick. Now I am pretty sure premium burgers are prepared a bit differently and I am big fan of Also's Specially Select range but I still prefer to make my own burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Ah, I never cook from frozen, all this talk about them makes me want to try them! Do you cook them in the oven, frying pan or grill them?

Have you never cooked a burger before!?
    You can cook them a few different ways, but I grill them.
    I did try them on the barbecue a while back and they were gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

fussyonion wrote: »
    Cook 'em from frozen.
    They're gorgeous.

They're lovely.

I fear i had the bolded ones recently. Werent bad but apparently, i had the wrong ones.

Quite a bit of those Specially selected stuff, i am just not able to find in the 3 aldi's that are more or less local to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

inforfun wrote: »
    I fear i had the bolded ones recently. Werent bad but apparently, i had the wrong ones.

Quite a bit of those Specially selected stuff, i am just not able to find in the 3 aldi's that are more or less local to me.
    Now I'm really confused.

Just checked the box I bought, and I have the "Specially Selected - 4 Quarter Pounders - made with 100% Irish Angus beef"

Still haven't managed to remember to pick any buns though, so they're still languishing in the freezer.

Oh well, they'll hardly kill me, and cost buttons (which should worry me, really, now I think about it) so what harm!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Well... i was just there. And it looks like i had the frozen Angus ones after all.
    I was under the impression the "angus" would be in the same line as "quarter pounders" but it is in smaller print below it.

So i had the frozen Angus ones and while not bad, i very much prefer the fresh angus burgers they have. But seeign the price difference, you should expect that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I think I'm head to Aldi to get some salted caramel popcorn. :D

Advertisement