Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

I was so broke a few weeks ago so bought the triple pack of pepperoni pizza for 2.89 and the left over 2euro to buy mushrooms, tomatoes, onions etc (39c) each to smarten up the pizzas a bit ,a large sliced pan too and change from a fiver ! Got me through to payday !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

chillin117 wrote: »
    I was so broke a few weeks ago so bought the triple pack of pepperoni pizza for 2.89 and the left over 2euro to buy mushrooms, tomatoes, onions etc (39c) each to smarten up the pizzas a bit, Got me through to payday !;)

Don't forget a good splash of EV Olive Oil both before cooking and after ;)

Their Harvest Morn Fruit & Fibre is quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Now I'm really confused.

Just checked the box I bought, and I have the "Specially Selected - 4 Quarter Pounders - made with 100% Irish Angus beef"

Still haven't managed to remember to pick any buns though, so they're still languishing in the freezer.

Oh well, they'll hardly kill me, and cost buttons (which should worry me, really, now I think about it) so what harm!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

808deedf6b9dcae22a59e9dbe5b026f6308ca695b28af796bcf12fc2b46b8bef_1.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Okay, wow. Several posts deleted. It should absolutely go without saying that it is totally against the site rules to post the content of a private message without the sender's explicit consent. deadanonymau5 infracted, and please rethink your posting style before posting on this forum again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Frozen burgers, you say!

Never had them, do you defrost them and then cook them or wha?!
    I usually defrost burgers, they are often too thick and I squash them out flatter.

Some people like the completely liquidised texture that most frozen burgers are like, others prefer fresh burgers which usually have more like a mince meat texture not so compressed or uniform.
    "Specially Selected - 4 Quarter Pounders - made with 100% Irish Angus beef"
    Be careful of labels like that, always check the ingredients list. It could be 50% filler and 50% beef, and that miserable amount of beef is 100% angus. Though I cannot recall seeing angus meat in cheapo bulked out burgers. Tesco finest fresh burgers are angus and are 95% beef, wheat flour is next, all their fresh burgers seem to be about 95% beef, I would not really consider the 5% added stuff to be real bulking out like others will do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Tigger wrote:
    pork chops and baked beans with milk to wash it down steam some broccoli and celery and bobs yer parent's brother

Don't forget to marinade the chops for 15 mins in bramwells hot and smokey barbecue sauce before grilling...... Delicious🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Has anyone tried the dishwasher tablets..I have to buy some today but I'm wondering is it better to stick with the dearer ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Colser the dishwasher tablets work well. I find the fancy branded tablets don't dissolve in our dishwasher so we use supermarket own brands

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Colser wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the dishwasher tablets..I have to buy some today but I'm wondering is it better to stick with the dearer ones?
    Aldi's ones are the only ones I've used for ages and they're grand. The dishes come out of the machine clean anyhow.

Maybe they might be a bit cleaner if I used the gold-plated branded ones, but I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Buy the Finish ones in Dealz. The Aldi ones aren't great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

TheStook wrote: »
    Hey everyone, figured this was the best place to ask!
    So Im a fairly broke college student who just moved out for the first time and luckily I live right beside an Aldi in Carlow.

Im just wondering what you guys would recommend is the best bang for your buck protein and calorie wise. Im fairly underweight and Id like to start changing that. Whats the cheapest fatty foods is basically what Im asking?

Thanks in advance!

Free range eggs

Lean Mince (can be made into a healthy bolognaise with tinned tomatoes or passata, add garlic and oregano, s&p to taste)

Hummus and Corn Cakes / nut butter

Bananas

Porridge Oats

Brazil Nuts & Almonds

Goats Cheese / feta cheese with baby spinach &/ rocket salad

For a treat/cheat day their two pack of chicken kievs in the fridge section are nice.

You can buy a chicken for around 4 euro and roast it and you will get a few dinners & sandwiches/salads out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

The magnum three in one are good. Not sure if they sell different types. The box says "which? best buy"

I've used Dunnes own brand ones before and they were rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Colser wrote:

The dishwasher tablets are good. Make sure your dishwasher also has salt and rinse aid and you shouldn't have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Yes I usually buy Aldi or Finish ones. I didn't notice the difference between them. I don't like Lidl ones and Fairy ones leave some residue on certain materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

nc6000 wrote: »
    The dishwasher tablets are good. Make sure your dishwasher also has salt and rinse aid and you shouldn't have an issue.

No need for salt and rinse aid if you get the three in one tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

maximum12 wrote: »
    No need for salt and rinse aid if you get the three in one tablets.

It depends how hard water you have. I use all, I even tried vinegar in the wash and I still get stains on glasses regardless which tablets I use. I think Aldi are slightly better than Finish and everything else I tried is completely useless. But always add salt and rinse aid. I like Lidl salt and Finish rinse aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yep. I agree. My old dishwasher isn't happy without salt and rinse aid.

We have hard water also which I doubt helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Just my two cents on a few things that we tried recently:
    Meh:
    The coconut and cranberry mini crispbreads that were recommended a few pages ago: Very bland, texture is like a breakfast cereal/cardboard. Would not buy again.
    Mini flapjacks, also recommended in this thread: Very bland, wouldn't recommend these either.

Good stuff:
    Thanks to whoever recommended the mini brie, had the blue cheese one, creamy and strong, quite delicious.
    Also thank you to the posters here for bringing Clandeboye Estate greek style vanilla yogurt to my attention, so creamy and firm and not too sweet, my new favourite yogurt.

I also liked the beetroot falafel and carrot falafel from the Great Food range, will get these again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

nc6000 wrote: »
    Yep. I agree. My old dishwasher isn't happy without salt and rinse aid.

We have hard water also which I doubt helps.
    We need to use both as well even at that...we have to use liquid tabs rather than solid ones...we find the finish ones the wrost...currently using fairy liquid tabs.
    Anyone any idea if ALDI do a liquid dishwasher tab or is it just the normal type?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

harr wrote: »
    We need to use both as well even at that...we have to use liquid tabs rather than solid ones...we find the finish ones the wrost...currently using fairy liquid tabs.
    Anyone any idea if ALDI do a liquid dishwasher tab or is it just the normal type?

I have to say I recently bought some finish tablets that were on offer and they were useless. I've since gone back to Tesco own brand which are about €2.80 for a pack of 30 and work perfectly well.

I've used aldi in the past and they were also good. I think I once found some extra value pack there containing 100 tablets, can't remember what it cost, but it wasnt much and it lasted me the guts of a year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have to say I recently bought some finish tablets that were on offer and they were useless. I've since gone back to Tesco own brand which are about €2.80 for a pack of 30 and work perfectly well.

I've used aldi in the past and they were also good. I think I once found some extra value pack there containing 100 tablets, can't remember what it cost, but it wasnt much and it lasted me the guts of a year!
    That's what I have at the moment, and I only run the DW about twice a week max - happy days!!!

Another question - how would one know if the DW needed salt and/or rinse aid? I'm in Dublin and I don't think the water is that hard..... should I be putting this stuff in? DW hasn't packed up yet.... what's the worst that would happen???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭SteM

Easiest way to figure out the dishwasher salt level is to fill it with aldi specially selected chips and put it on a cooking cycle*. Taste the chips and if they're plain then you probably need to add salt to your dishwasher.

*this won't be marked on the dishwasher but will be mentioned in the instruction manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

That's what I have at the moment, and I only run the DW about twice a week max - happy days!!!

Another question - how would one know if the DW needed salt and/or rinse aid? I'm in Dublin and I don't think the water is that hard..... should I be putting this stuff in? DW hasn't packed up yet.... what's the worst that would happen???
    Don't think it does any damage to dw ...but my glasses and saucepans would go terrible dull almost cloudy if I didn't use salt or rinse aid..maybe you don't need the salt but try the rinse aid to see if you notice any difference..a cup full of vinegar in bottom of dw does a great job in cleaning both the dw itself and your saucepans..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Apologies for mentioning this in September, but has anyone seen mince pies in Aldi yet? They're my only interest in the C word. The luxury ones in the black box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Not yet. They usually appear after the Halloween stuff. They only started stocking barm bracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I finally found the Jalapeno Coleslaw, nice heat, had some of it with the barbecue chicken legs, win win.

Those wee chocolate sundaes are delicious.

The malted bloomer from the bakery is also great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Regarding the mince pies; if you love them, stock up as soon as you see them.

I'm not mad about them but I do like to buy a box for the festive season and I thought I was fine leaving it til two weeks before Christmas but there wasn't a mince pie to be had and the manager said they'd completely sold out.

So, like I say, as soon as you see them, stock up because that might be the end of the supply!

On a side note; the ones in the black box are pretty lovely but then again, most of the black box goods in Aldi ("Specially Selected") are great.

I love the Danish butter cookies they sell at Christmas in the small white tin emblazoned with images of toy soldiers.
    Beautiful with a cuppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The Authentic Greek yogurt is great.

Honestly, the best I have tried.

Do not confuse with "Greek Style" yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Fresh chillies - I love my chillies hot but the ones in the multi pack at the moment are really hot !!! Generally get through a couple of packs a week and the ones in store have a yellow scotch bonnet at the mo.

Bought in Dublin and Cork and both are eye watering, maybe I've been lucky but same style in store this evening. I can handle ghost chilli but these were equal on the scale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Apologies for mentioning this in September, but has anyone seen mince pies in Aldi yet? They're my only interest in the C word. The luxury ones in the black box.

Haven't seen them but in Lidl today I saw small Xmas puddings and an array of Stollen plus a selection of other small Xmas treats :eek:

At this rate they'll have Easter eggs in before Halloween!

Advertisement