Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭beer enigma

These are great €1.99 and 60 seconds in the microwave

Lentils_zpsbdl6vqhr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Andip wrote: »
    These are great €1.99 and 60 seconds in the microwave

Lentils_zpsbdl6vqhr.jpg

Suitable for veggies do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

UsedToWait wrote: »

What did you serve them with?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

According to the pack, yes. I'd imagine the other varieties (Mediterranean quinoa and an Asian kind) would be too.

Yep, it has the vegetarian tick on the back, good ingredients and not an E number in sight

image_zps6pymifux.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I bought a packet last week but haven't tried them yet. I might use it to stuff a pepper or two

Jrop wrote: »
    I bought a packet last week but haven't tried them yet. I might use it to stuff a pepper or two

Sounds like a great idea, they're one of the tastiest new products I've tried in ages let us know how you get on with the peppers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Jrop wrote:

Where are they in the shop Jrop..I never buy anything like this but I'm going to try them.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

Colser I found them beside the rice in the aisle with the pasta sauces

• Registered Users Posts: 17,949 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Anyone tried the new cheesy jacket potatoes in the fresh food fridge yet? Pack of two.

• Advertisement

Andip wrote:
    Lentils_zpsbdl6vqhr.jpg
    Zelda247 wrote: »

Had some of these for lunch today. Wilted some spinach and added the hot lentil/chickpea mix. Served with salmon fishcakes with some sweet and spicy curry mayo to dip the fishcakes in.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Had some of these for lunch today. Wilted some spinach and added the hot lentil/chickpea mix. Served with salmon fishcakes with some sweet and spicy curry mayo to dip the fishcakes in.

Were the fishcakes from Aldi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

We went out last night looking for the Cycling special buys but there was basically nothing left :(

But anyways, the OH bought the a pack of Tara Craft Lager which he tasted last night and declared perfectly nice, and I've bought the Authentic Greek Yogurt based on recommendations from this tread so I'll report back on that after having breakfast tomorrow!

Were the fishcakes from Aldi?

Nope, but the salmon ones they do would work fine I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I bought the little mini quiches yesterday because I knew I was heading out last night and just wanted something quick. I got the goats cheese one for myself and OH got the chorizo one. Quite tasty and only €1.79 if I remember correctly. Just had them with Aldi's mixed leaved salad and Lidl low fat potato salad (nom nom too) Not the healthiest dinner, but tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

^ Talking of unhealthy, as those lovely Specially Selected ice lollies have disappeared from my local stores, I tried the fake Cornettos (strawberry version) .. tip top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I tried those lentils (more chick peas than lentils).

I never buy pre prepared meals but I liked the ingredients list on these and thought I'd try them.
    They really do taste homemade. Handy thing to have in the cupboard.

Very pleasantly surprised.

I tried those lentils (more chick peas than lentils).

I never buy pre prepared meals but I liked the ingredients list on these and thought I'd try them.
    They really do taste homemade. Handy thing to have in the cupboard.

Very pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I like them with a poached egg and a bit of wilted spinach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just had the Caramelized Red Onion and Vintage Cheddar Quiche with some salad leaves and cherry tomatoes for our "just got back from a 7 hour hike and can't be bothered to cook" evening meal. Lovely and cheesy and some nice short pastry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have had the potato gratin a few times now and it is really good. Lovely with a roast as you can pop it in for the last half an hour.

The west cork indulgence yoghurts are lovely too. Reall thick and creamy.

I have tried a few of the craft beers but I haven't really enjoyed any of them. Any good recommendations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I have tried a few of the craft beers but I haven't really enjoyed any of them. Any good recommendations?

It isnt a craft beerx but I think the "Rheinbacher" isn't too bad. Its a German pilsner, 4.9% and goes down easy €7.20 for a six pack. . No head on it once poured would be my only complaint.

Noticed they're now doing a new wheat beer, the bottle looks very like "Franzikamer" with a monk on the front though I haven't tried it yet.

They used to (maybe still do) sell an excellent German wheat beer called "Schofferhoffer" not sure if the new wheat beer has replaced this or not (I've been buying beer elsewhere as past few months)

I also find tyskie not too bad either (strong though at 5.5%)

The O'Sheas range of beer Aldi do is palatable enough, I used to be quite partial to the pale ale.

My current beer of choice is "Kasztelan", it's a polish beer, and the "non pasteurized" bottles are absolutely heaven in a bottle.

Aldi don't sell them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I have tried the Spaten brand. It is in a long 500ml bottle and it is quite nice. Beer and my gut don't go overly well though.

I have had the potato gratin a few times now and it is really good. Lovely with a roast as you can pop it in for the last half an hour.

The west cork indulgence yoghurts are lovely too. Reall thick and creamy.

I had the potato dish with the chilli and chorizo it was excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Aldi have started a craft beer offer today, 30 beers and some of them are bloody good.... go stock up for Xmas, well worth it indeed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Will you manage to keep them til Christmas though?ðŸ˜

I just used their ketchup and the kids didn't whinge so it must be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Colser wrote: »
    Will you manage to keep them til Christmas though?ðŸ˜

I just used their ketchup and the kids didn't whinge so it must be OK.

Yes I started buying theirs too. It must be good enough to mash boiled potato with ketchup and butter. (I throw up in my mouth a little bit every time they do it but apparently it's delicious.)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

I noticed yesterday that the dry aged angus steak...28 days hung...sirloin and rib eye, are down to E9.99. I got some for the freezer. The 30 days hung steaks down to E11.99
    Fab piece of meat.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

fussyonion wrote: »
    Regarding the mince pies; if you love them, stock up as soon as you see them.

I'm not mad about them but I do like to buy a box for the festive season and I thought I was fine leaving it til two weeks before Christmas but there wasn't a mince pie to be had and the manager said they'd completely sold out.

So, like I say, as soon as you see them, stock up because that might be the end of the supply!

On a side note; the ones in the black box are pretty lovely but then again, most of the black box goods in Aldi ("Specially Selected") are great.

@fussyonion, they're here! Got a box of the 'Specially Selected' this morning in Limerick. The packaging has changed slightly, so hope they still taste the same. Will try them later on tonight.

Advertisement