Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Went to grab a box of their "Stollen Bites" just now, and amongst them in the big box they were in, there were some chocolate covered ones too which I haven't seen before :D I've eaten 3 already!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Alun wrote: »
    Went to grab a box of their "Stollen Bites" just now, and amongst them in the big box they were in, there were some chocolate covered ones too which I haven't seen before :D I've eaten 3 already!

Chocolate covered Stollen Bites :eek:

That's just wrong! I'm German and a traditionalist where Xmas bakery is concerned. Stollen needs to be drenched in butter and coated in icing sugar. It's supposed to represent the swaddling clothes of baby Jesus.

Chocolate covered Stollen Bites :eek:

That's just wrong! I'm German and a traditionalist where Xmas bakery is concerned. Stollen needs to be drenched in butter and coated in icing sugar. It's supposed to represent the swaddling clothes of baby Jesus.
    They may not conform to the Weihnachtsgebäck Reinheitsgebot (I made that up!) but they are yummy, so I don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Colser wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the dishwasher tablets..I have to buy some today but I'm wondering is it better to stick with the dearer ones?

https://www.aldi.ie/p/069792065723300?utm_source=Aldi&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=SpecialbuyEmail3rdOctober

100-pack of Magnum tablets on sale from this Thursday for €7.79.

Smashing value when I just saw 10 (yes, TEN!!!) Finish tabs in my local corner shop for €5.50 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Smashing value when I just saw 10 (yes, TEN!!!) Finish tabs in my local corner shop for €5.50 :eek:

the finish are 10 for 1.50 in dealz, it was mentioned recently. It would not surprise me if your shop buys them in dealz.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    the finish are 10 for 1.50 in dealz, it was mentioned recently. It would not surprise me if your shop buys them in dealz.
    Me neither.

In fairness, I would never ever go to a corner shop to buy something like dishwasher tablets, no matter how desperate I was! They just happened to catch my eye this morning, before coming home to find the email from Aldi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

rubadub wrote:

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    Smashing value when I just saw 10 (yes, TEN!!!) Finish tabs in my local corner shop for €5.50

Thanks for that..I will pick them up..I ended up buying the 10 for 1.50 in dealz previously..corner shops can be outrageous at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I bought the 10x Finish Tablets when I was in Dealz recently. Not sure if its proof positive or maybe I was just washing extrememly dirty dishes around that time, but I was noticing that I was having to put a good proportion of stuff through the machine a second time.

I've since gone back to using the generic tesco ones that are about €2.80 for 30, and no such need for rewashing. I've also used the aldi ones previously and they also worked just fine.

Well, to continue the never-ending burger discussion.....

I can declare them lovely altogether!

Had a mighty unhealthy dinner this evening of a burger, fried onions, Aldi emmenthal slices, taco sauce and mayo, and fresh rocket from the garden (about the only healthy thing on the entire plate!), Aldi chunky chips - unfortunately I couldn't round it off with an Aldi brioche bun as I forgot the bloomin' things - but M&S ultimate burger buns proved an admirable substitute.

I'm STUFFED! :D

And well happy with those burgers as a freezer standby.

Got a box of each today, and the chocolate ones are GAWJUS! (with due apologies to all Germans reading this)

There's something odd, or artificial-tasting, about the sugared ones.

(The diet starts tomorrow :eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Got a box of each today, and the chocolate ones are GAWJUS! (with due apologies to all Germans reading this)

There's something odd, or artificial-tasting, about the sugared ones.

(The diet starts tomorrow :eek:)

I might give the chocolate ones a try this year. I bought their normal, sugared Stollen bites last year, and to be honest they just can't hold a candle to Lidl's. Sorry, there, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭kellyshell

To whoever recommended the authentic greek yogurt............thank you!! It is delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Their packets of Bourbon biscuits have been reduced from 33c to just 18c. You couldn't beat that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

The new spring rolls, that can be found in the chilled section (not frozen) are delicious.

Had an Asian style meal this evening for dinner (noodles fried with chicken and veg) and threw the spring rolls into the centre of the table.

They went down a treat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Tried their onion bhagi and vegetable samosas in the chilled section .. underwhelmed really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Tried their onion bhagi and vegetable samosas in the chilled section .. underwhelmed really

Would bringing them home and cooking them first not have been a better idea and more comfortable too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

nc6000 wrote: »
    Would bringing them home and cooking them first not have been a better idea and more comfortable too?

Yeah, still a bit rubbish ..just warmer

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Just had the Seafood chowder from chilled section. Usually wouldn't buy stuff like that in case of a funny taste off then but after reading here I got it. Was really lovely. Will defo be buying again. Very fillin

Anything like that that's normally deep fried when cooked fresh will always be a bit of a disaster when reheated, however it's done I'm afraid. Best way is in a really hot oven for as little time as possible, worst way by far is in a microwave. Soggy bhajis are just horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anything like that that's normally deep fried when cooked fresh will always be a bit of a disaster when reheated, however it's done I'm afraid.
    airfryers are great for this. If chipper chips are not cooked enough to start with I actually prefer them reheated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I picked up a chicken joint in the freezer section. (Yellow sleeve) I work long shifts and often get caught with nothing healthy in to eat.

This was excellent. €3.50 ! bought another today to keep in the freezer. Himself gave it the thumbs up too

Can be stuffed or plain. I got the plain one . Easily 3 servings

In the crackers area are three different flavours of "Thins"..... long skinny crackers, basically.

I tried the multiseed ones, which were lovely but the seeds just got stuck in my teeth :mad:

Am now furiously trying to stop eating the cheese and black pepper ones - they're seriously addictive and moreish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Has anyone tried Aldi Speciality Fish Cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Bought frozen, chunky, breaded cod fillets yesterday. Awful. I've never come across such chewey fish. Strongly fishy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Bought frozen, chunky, breaded cod fillets yesterday. Awful. I've never come across such chewey fish. Strongly fishy too.

I agree I did not like these either, in fact we binned them.

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I agree I did not like these either, in fact we binned them.
    Their fish fingers are categorically the worst I have EVER eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Their fish fingers are categorically the worst I have EVER eaten.

The frozen breaded haddock is much better than the cod, give it a go! I think it's €2.79 a pack. It's packed in a bag not a box.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Davexirl wrote: »
    The frozen breaded haddock is much better than the cod, give it a go! I think it's €2.79 a pack. It's packed in a bag not a box.

I think the frozen breaded haddock is really good and much better value and quality than Donegal Catch. The coating is thin and crispy and there are not too many 'nasties' on the ingredients list. Can't comment on the cod, but it's a very bland fish and always seems to need plenty of herbs/spices to improve it. If it's chewy, it might have been overcooked :)

Also tried the other frozen haddock in the black boxes - two extra large breaded fillets - yuck! Very greasy tasting - you'd need to bake them on a trivet and not directly on a tray!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

iora_rua wrote: »
    If it's chewy, it might have been overcooked :)
    !

Definitely not overcooked.
    Possibly undercooked.

I would have always gone for haddock but it's now on a list of foods that I'm supposed to avoid.

• Advertisement

I would have always gone for haddock but it's now on a list of foods that I'm supposed to avoid.
    Just haddock, or fish in general?

Advertisement