Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I always buy Donegal Catch Haddock but I tried Aldi's version and it was horrible.
    Slimy underneath the coating and measly looking fish.

Tesco's version was the same so although Donegal Catch is a bit expensive, it is best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Agree on that cod. Utterly disgusting. Got it once and I think we actually ended up binning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Agree on that cod. Utterly disgusting. Got it once and I think we actually ended up binning it.
    I agree I tried a few of the frozen battered and breaded fish and find them all poor quality..especially the battered ones which have very little fish inside the batter...the frozen fish and seafood without batter is much tastier and a hell of a lot better quality...
    Got the Bacon medallions today the select ones and they are only gorgeous just had four of them in a brioche bun with cheese and brown sauce 😘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Aldi Speciality Fish Cakes?

I had the Thai Style Prawn, Chili & Lemongrass fish cakes the other day. Cooked them in the airfryer and thought they were really nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Has anyone tried Aldi Speciality Fish Cakes?

The cheese ones are lovely. I ve tried the chilli ones but thought the chilli overpowered everything. Well worth trying tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Tried their onion bhagi and vegetable samosas in the chilled section .. underwhelmed really

Had the samosas this evening. So-so, bit no worse than any other pre-made snack, and certainly not awful for their price point. As said, really hot oven does help in crisping them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I don't know if it's in all Aldi stores, but I had their venison steaks tonight. Genuine Irish wild venison from these people based in Co. Wicklow ...

http://wildirishgame.ie/

Certainly, makes a change to the frozen New Zealand venison in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know if it's in all Aldi stores, but I had their venison steaks tonight. Genuine Irish wild venison from these people based in Co. Wicklow ...

http://wildirishgame.ie/

Certainly, makes a change to the frozen New Zealand venison in Lidl.

Yes, they're very good. I still have a few in the freezer from last year - I was afraid Aldi wouldn't get them in again, so was delighted to see them back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭SteM

iora_rua wrote: »
    Yes, they're very good. I still have a few in the freezer from last year - I was afraid Aldi wouldn't get them in again, so was delighted to see them back!

Last year? Will they be okay for so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

SteM wrote: »

I used a pack from my freezer two weeks ago and they were perfect. I think game meat keeps well because there's usually little or no fat.

I also got some of either Aldi or Lidl's French Guinea Fowl last year, when they were available, and they were extremely good quality - if you'd like an occasional change from bland chicken, they're well worth the extra few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,404 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

i have just moved into an area where there is an Aldi, i am not really familiar with the store, what do you recommend of their products.

We've just started shopping in Aldi after years of Dunnes..

I'm flabbergasted. It puts much of Dunnes' overpriced stuff to shame. We feel like idiots for persisting with Dunnes simply because it was a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

lawred2 wrote: »

I'm flabbergasted. It puts much of Dunnes' overpriced stuff to shame. We feel like idiots for persisting with Dunnes simply because it was a little easier.

welcome to the club!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

ellejay wrote: »
    welcome to the club!:pac:

Although the Dunnes €10 vouchers are pretty good. Not sure if Aldi is that much cheaper if you use the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Kat1170

lawred2 wrote: »

Nowhere is cheaper for everything. Trick is to become Supermarkets worst nightmare, a shopper that buys the bargains from each shop without getting caught to buy the marked up stuff.

Oh and Aldi rule :D:D

SteM wrote: »

I shoot my own venison and have eaten it up to three years after the butchering date. Only thing that would stop me is bad freezer burn on the meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Nowhere is cheaper for everything. Trick is to become Supermarkets worst nightmare, a shopper that buys the bargains from each shop without getting caught to buy the marked up stuff.

Oh and Aldi rule :D:D

Actually it's the shoppers who come to the shop with a list and stick strictly to it that are supermarket's worst nightmare. Bargain hunters tend to buy bargains without actually needing or using them. Besides once they have you through the door they will get you for more.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Bargain hunters tend to buy bargains without actually needing or using them.

*glares at unused leaf blower*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

maximum12 wrote: »

Lol

I live with someone like that. Not that I am much better. I don't overly bargain hunt but if I go into the shop to buy milk, I will come out with a jar of sun dried tomatoes, refuse sacks, packet of steaks, some dark chocolate, washing up liquid, mango and no milk.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Actually it's the shoppers who come to the shop with a list and stick strictly to it that are supermarket's worst nightmare. Bargain hunters tend to buy bargains without actually needing or using them. Besides once they have you through the door they will get you for more.

Sorry, that's what I meant. I meant bargains, as in what you need to buy at a cheaper than normal price, not as in leaf blowers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

maximum12 wrote: »

You are living on the top floor of an appartement building, dont you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Has anyone tried the chicken arbitta meal in the fridge section and the jumbo sausage rolls in the fridge section. I also saw they have a new Carlos pizza Mediterranean vegetable but I didn't get it cause I still have the older version one at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I definitely recommend the Aldi couscous... if it hasn't been mentioned before.

It's a good alternative to potatoes/pasta/rice/chips if you have meat/fish and vegetables for dinner.

Packet looks like this:
    cb7d99f296a5a44b4ba4e242cf840cdc.jpg

Comes in a range of flavours - roasted vegetable, sun-dried tomatoes, etc.

Think it cost around 85c. All you do is add 160ml water and let stand for 5 mins. It's lovely mixed in with fresh mixed leaves, tomatoes, peppers for a makeshift salad bowl :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

fin12 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the chicken arbitta meal in the fridge section and the jumbo sausage rolls in the fridge section.

Haven't tried it, but not sure I'd bother unless I was really stuck.
    Any of those 'heat 'em up' pasta meals could be probably made yourself in just a small bit more time with far less bad stuff.
    They never look that appetising for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Got a stir in sauce called "Hunters chicken " in last weeks shop only gave it a try tonight very tasty....I would describe it as a BBQ sauce,I used as a pour over sauce ...score some chicken breasts and pour sauce over and into oven for 20 minutes....a word of warning this has a very high sugar content..l

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Their cauliflower cheese is back! I really like it, it's so convenient! It's in the freezer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bought a Specially Selected Beef Wellington last weekend. It was quite expensive, but given that it serves 4, it was fairly priced. The cooking instructions were vaguely confusing, so I put it in the fridge over night before seeing an instruction that said "Keep frozen". I still wasn't sure whether it was to be cooked from frozen or defrosted, and I didn't want to refreeze it, so I cooked from chilled. I ended up over cooking it quite a bit, so the beef was very tough. Other than that, the flavours were lovely and the size was generous so I would recommend it!

Faith wrote: »
    Bought a Specially Selected Beef Wellington last weekend. It was quite expensive, but given that it serves 4, it was fairly priced. The cooking instructions were vaguely confusing, so I put it in the fridge over night before seeing an instruction that said "Keep frozen". I still wasn't sure whether it was to be cooked from frozen or defrosted, and I didn't want to refreeze it, so I cooked from chilled. I ended up over cooking it quite a bit, so the beef was very tough. Other than that, the flavours were lovely and the size was generous so I would recommend it!

What did it cost? Did it contain fillet beef?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

We were enjoying a few glasses of Aldi's Dry London Gin this evening. I began peeling the label off the back when I discovered a security label hidden underneath.

Just telling you in case you're thinking.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Faith wrote: »
    so I put it in the fridge over night before seeing an instruction that said "Keep frozen". I still wasn't sure whether it was to be cooked from frozen or defrosted, and I didn't want to refreeze it, so I cooked from chilled.!
    I always wonder about that. I often defrost stuff in the fridge, or do it to some degree. A chest freezer can be at -18C while the supermarket ones can be barely freezing the stuff. In my tesco the ice cream from the freezer is ready to eat, nice & soft, from my own fridge freezer it is rock solid. For big items, like a beef wellington, I guess this could make a significant difference. It could be at -2C or -18C, which could feasilby be a bigger difference than "fridge temp" and "room temp", and you often see advice to leave steaks etc reach room temp before cooking due to the extra time needed for the centre to reach temp.

I have a stick probe thermometer which I do not use enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

We were enjoying a few glasses of Aldi's Dry London Gin this evening. I began peeling the label off the back when I discovered a security label hidden underneath.

Just telling you in case you're thinking....

Thinking what?
    Aldi spirits all have security tags on the top.

Don't understand what you're getting at.

Advertisement