Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

maximum12 wrote: »
    What did it cost? Did it contain fillet beef?

Pretty sure it was fillet, although I've thrown the box out. I bought it in the uk, where it cost £9.50 if I remember correctly.

I've been googling and I can't find much about it, so I don't know how widely available it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Faith wrote: »
    Bought a Specially Selected Beef Wellington last weekend. It was quite expensive, but given that it serves 4, it was fairly priced. The cooking instructions were vaguely confusing, so I put it in the fridge over night before seeing an instruction that said "Keep frozen". I still wasn't sure whether it was to be cooked from frozen or defrosted, and I didn't want to refreeze it, so I cooked from chilled. I ended up over cooking it quite a bit, so the beef was very tough. Other than that, the flavours were lovely and the size was generous so I would recommend it!

IIRC they are cook from frozen and as such the cooking time is reasonably well calculated (I stand to be corrected, however). If cooked from thawed, the end result would not be the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

BuffyBot wrote: »
    IIRC they are cook from frozen and as such the cooking time is reasonably well calculated (I stand to be corrected, however). If cooked from thawed, the end result would not be the same.

That would certainly fit with my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Aldi seem to have dropped the Madras curry from their range of nice jarred curries.. None on the shelf and not listed on the type of curries on the price board thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Aldi seem to have dropped the Madras curry from their range of nice jarred curries.. None on the shelf and not listed on the type of curries on the price board thing

Picked one up in Tralee yesterday , so hopefully it's just a stocking issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Still there in mine, and still listed on the price label ... What they have done though which might be confusing is they've split the hot and the mild ones into separate groups, so Madras is in the hot section with Jalfrezi and Balti, and Dopiaza, Tikka Masala and something else is in with the mild ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

They still have the Madras in my local Aldi, Nutgrove.
    I'd be devastated if they did away with it. It's the closest thing to a genuine Indian Madras I've ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They've added a Butter Chicken to their milder range....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

And its bloody delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Strange, I was in both Aldi Newlands Cross and Terenure and neither either had stock or had it listed on the price card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I am pretty sure they got rid of my nasi and bami goreng (and some other Asian variations).
    All 3 of my "local" Aldi's used to have them, but not 1 of them even had the pricetag on the (empty) shelf anymore.

Which sucks pretty bad because it was tasty, easy and quick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Not food related, but I was in Aldi in Santry at the weekend and they have a mini National Lottery machine at every checkout now :eek:

I picked up my Stollen for Christmas, because it sells out so quickly and one year I missed it altogether.

Yes, it is a bit odd that not every line is available in every store. That strong cheddar spread stuff everybody raves about is nowhere to be seen in my Aldi here in Bray, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Not food related, but I was in Aldi in Santry at the weekend and they have a mini National Lottery machine at every checkout now :eek:

Notice that in Santry too. I was wondering could it slow down the checkout as someone tries to choose/remember their numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Alun wrote: »
    Yes, it is a bit odd that not every line is available in every store. That strong cheddar spread stuff everybody raves about is nowhere to be seen in my Aldi here in Bray, for example.

I haven't seen it either in the Galway shops

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

jd wrote: »
    Notice that in Santry too. I was wondering could it slow down the checkout as someone tries to choose/remember their numbers

For many, many reasons I would be certain its quickpick only. Main one being that number machines at least used to require a lease line (which is very dear) *per terminal* and quickpick machines do not. Speed is another major factor.

If they aren't, they may regret it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

L1011 wrote: »
    For many, many reasons I would be certain its quickpick only. Main one being that number machines at least used to require a lease line (which is very dear) *per terminal* and quickpick machines do not. Speed is another major factor.

No - Himself was able to pick his numbers and buy an All Cash scratch card too. There wasn't a queue when we were there, but I'd say it's mayhem at the busier times.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Picked this up today for a handy dinner, wasn't impressed :( pretty much tasted of nothing and was quite oily instead of the expected creamy consistency. Shame, as the Dopiaza is very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

We had the duck fillets recently. About 10eur so not cheap and just the 2 fillets but it was really good, so tender. A nice marinade type mix comes on the fillets and the flavour was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,496 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

inforfun wrote: »
    I am pretty sure they got rid of my nasi and bami goreng (and some other Asian variations).

Saw the Bami Goreng in my local Aldi last week. Sometimes buy that one or the Mihoen Goreng. Aldi is the only place outside the Netherlands where you can buy that stuff as you probably know yourself :p

Put the tub of noodles in the microwave, make some sate sauce and cook some chicken cubes in it and at the same time fry some eggs. Tasty & filling Indonesian "take away" food in about 15 minutes. Don't forget to load up the Sambal Oelek. Also available in Aldi & Lidl from time to time (and in most Asian stores)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Picked this up today for a handy dinner, wasn't impressed :( pretty much tasted of nothing and was quite oily instead of the expected creamy consistency. Shame, as the Dopiaza is very tasty.

Snap! Just finished it now.

Really wasn't impressed. I make a lot if different curries from scratch and this was poor. Kids were saying Daddys is nicer! :D

Should have made my usual one its barely any more effort. Just chopping an onion and some garlic cloves is about the height of it! Have made it with passata or a tin of chopped tomatoes
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/141169/easy-indian-butter-chicken/

unkel wrote: »
    Saw the Bami Goreng in my local Aldi last week. Sometimes buy that one or the Mihoen Goreng. Aldi is the only place outside the Netherlands where you can buy that stuff as you probably know yourself :p

Put the tub of noodles in the microwave, make some sate sauce and cook some chicken cubes in it and at the same time fry some eggs. Tasty & filling Indonesian "take away" food in about 15 minutes. Don't forget to load up the Sambal Oelek. Also available in Aldi & Lidl from time to time (and in most Asian stores)

That is the idea indeed. Use that box of goodness as a base for your Indonesian meal.
    Dont think i miss anything as much from Holland as my Indonesian take away and the local Indonesian Toko. Even if it is only for seeing people's head chopped off if they dare ordering chips with their meal while over the age of 6 :D

Ended up making my own nasi goreng. Wasnt hard or bad at all, just a lot more work of course.

Dont know how you get your sate sauce but i use a little bag from Conimex (brought from Holland, also avaialble on Amazon but pricey) add milk (label says water but prefer milk), add a table spoon of Surinam peanut butter or a teaspoon of Conimex Sambal Oelek (really spicy).

Of course peanut sauce is fantastic on fries as well. You havent lived if you havent had a patat Tsjeronbyl once (fries topped with peanut sauce, mayonaise, ketchup, diced raw onions). Probably better to eat this the first time while completely drunk.

That Conimex stuff is basically the only thing i keep bringing back when i have been In Holland. All other stuff i stopped bringing back. Only ended up stuffing my face for 2 weeks till all was gone again.

So please Aldi..... dont stop the Bami Goreng!

You havent lived if you havent had a patat Tsjeronbyl once (fries topped with peanut sauce, mayonaise, ketchup, diced raw onions). Probably better to eat this the first time while completely drunk.
    I'd always known that as a "Patat Oorlog" ... same thing though, and needs to be experienced at least once :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I picked up their Special Selected Sticky Toffee Pudding recently and it was delicious - we had himselfs Dad over for dinner and he likes a desert after, and since I don't make deserts, this was a really good store bought option. We ate it between the 3 of us but would easily have stretched further (we were just being piggies) and served with their upmarket Vanilla Ice Cream (I like one with a proper vanilla taste, not the HB stuff that you give to children with jelly).

Delish and the pudding cost less that €3 and just needed baking in the oven for 25 mins. Would highly recommend!

Alun wrote: »
    I'd always known that as a "Patat Oorlog" ... same thing though, and needs to be experienced at least once :)

There is a difference:

Patat oorlog: fries, peanut sauce and mayonaise (frites sauce actually, nicer than mayonaise)
    Patat Tsjernobyl: oorlog + curry or ketchup, and onions.

Nowadays though it is the Kapsalon that is the go to food after drinking the night.

Sorry to go this far off topic. But at least your culture has been "enriched" ;)

Patat oorlog: fries, peanut sauce and mayonaise (frites sauce actually, nicer than mayonaise)
    Patat Tsjernobyl: oorlog + curry or ketchup, and onions.
    What can I say, in Utrecht station, which is where I usually got mine after a hard days work before catching the train home to Eindhoven, a Patat Oorlog also had ketchup and onions on it, and no such thing as a Tschernobyl (sp?) that I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

We had the duck fillets recently. About 10eur so not cheap and just the 2 fillets but it was really good, so tender. A nice marinade type mix comes on the fillets and the flavour was lovely.

They're only €6 in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Anyone try the Halloween Blackwych porter or Pumpkin Ale?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

They're only €6 in Lidl.

Yeah, but mine's bigger than yours :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,496 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kapsalon

Feck me. Was only in R'dam a few weeks ago and nobody told me about this. Can't fecking wait to try this out next time I'm over.

Advertisement