Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

inforfun wrote: »
    That is the idea indeed. Use that box of goodness as a base for your Indonesian meal.
    Dont think i miss anything as much from Holland as my Indonesian take away and the local Indonesian Toko. Even if it is only for seeing people's head chopped off if they dare ordering chips with their meal while over the age of 6 :D

Ended up making my own nasi goreng. Wasnt hard or bad at all, just a lot more work of course.

Dont know how you get your sate sauce but i use a little bag from Conimex (brought from Holland, also avaialble on Amazon but pricey) add milk (label says water but prefer milk), add a table spoon of Surinam peanut butter or a teaspoon of Conimex Sambal Oelek (really spicy).

Of course peanut sauce is fantastic on fries as well. You havent lived if you havent had a patat Tsjeronbyl once (fries topped with peanut sauce, mayonaise, ketchup, diced raw onions). Probably better to eat this the first time while completely drunk.

That Conimex stuff is basically the only thing i keep bringing back when i have been In Holland. All other stuff i stopped bringing back. Only ended up stuffing my face for 2 weeks till all was gone again.

So please Aldi..... dont stop the Bami Goreng!

I'm off to Eindhoven for a few days during the week, and I fully intend trying both of these :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Patat Tsjernobyl (Chernobyl, whatever, it is cyrillic) might be the local, Rotterdam, name so if you get a blank stare, just let them google it.
    Or learn my description by head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

Dunno if it has already been mentioned, but (the wife's away, and I'm home alone with the kids) I picked up one of the steak and vegetable pies this evening from Aldi, and it was absolutely fantastic.

Really decent lumps of steak, in a rich gravy, with nice short crust pastry.

Served it up with some mushy peas and chips. Plastered it in brown sauce, and it was absolutely delicious.

Brought me back to having pie and chips as a nipper with the old man.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,496 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm off to Eindhoven for a few days during the week, and I fully intend trying both of these :pac:

Don't order patat. You might get a blank stare :p

Below the rivers in the Netherlands this is called friet (same prononciation as the French frites)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Antibac wrote: »
    Has anyone else tried the Specially Selected Super Berry Granola? Yummy!!!
    I bought the other option, I think its a almond one. Didn't get to try it yet.
    Antibac wrote: »
    Was tempted by this one also. Let us know if its wirth getting!

It was very nice. Nicer than many other shop bought granolas I tried (e.g. Jordans, Kelloggs, ALDI & LIDL's 1Kg bags)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

It was very nice. Nicer than many other shop bought granolas I tried (e.g. Jordans, Kelloggs, ALDI & LIDL's 1Kg bags)

The nutty one is the nicest granola on the market I think. Another great aldi find

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    The nutty one is the nicest granola on the market I think. Another great aldi find

Thats the one we were talking about. Lovely granola!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,679 ✭✭✭54and56

Whats the best way to eat granola? With yoghurt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭caviardreams

From the box, with a spoon - just pour some milk in :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

unkel wrote: »
    Below the rivers in the Netherlands this is called friet (same prononciation as the French frites)
    It's a long time since I heard that phrase!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Not at all. It's nearly always loaded with sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just had the Aldi specially selected, Honey, Carrott and Parsnip soup, was really nice. I use to always get Avonmore soap in the carton and I always thought they were the nicest soup but these Aldi soup tastes exactly like the Avonmore Carrott and Parsnip soup and is a lot cheaper. I will be getting this in future and look forward to trying the other flavours. The Avonmore smooth vegetable soup is lovely so hope the Aldi version is just as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

fin12 wrote: »
    Just had the Aldi specially selected, Honey, Carrott and Parsnip soup, was really nice. I use to always get Avonmore soap in the carton and I always thought they were the nicest soup but these Aldi soup tastes exactly like the Avonmore Carrott and Parsnip soup and is a lot cheaper. I will be getting this in future and look forward to trying the other flavours. The Avonmore smooth vegetable soup is lovely so hope the Aldi version is just as nice.

The specially selected soups are made by Cully and Sully, or whoever manufactures that brand, if I'm not mistaken

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

fin12 wrote:

All the Aldi soups are delicious, very good value also. Yet to be disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Slightly off topic but I had a 50 euro gift card for Dunnes so last week decided to do my main shop there instead of the usual Aldi.
    Pfft. Everything is so damned expensive in Dunnes compared to Aldi that I only bought a few items like milk, bread and butter etc.
    Spent only 16 Euros and headed off to Aldi to finish the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

They're only €6 in Lidl.

Re the duck fillets price. I was wrong in quoting the price of €10. Only €5.60 or so. They are really excellent. I am always wary of duck due to the amount of fat and a lot does come off but the meat is superb. Even the fat on the meat is really tasty. So juicy as well that you wouldn't need a gravy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Re the duck fillets price. I was wrong in quoting the price of €10. Only €5.60 or so. They are really excellent. I am always wary of duck due to the amount of fat and a lot does come off but the meat is superb. Even the fat on the meat is really tasty. So juicy as well that you wouldn't need a gravy.

You can drain off the fat and use it cooking roast potatoes.
    It will keep in the fridge for ages if you don't need it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

ArtyC wrote: »
    I haven't seen it either in the Galway shops

I wouldn't be too concerned, tasteless imo. The strong cheddar spread stuff that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,382 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too concerned, tasteless imo. The strong cheddar spread stuff that is.
    Oh I dunno..... having dissed it on here the first time I got it, I've got rather fond of it since!

If you leave it out to "warm" from fridge temperature, like most cheeses it's vastly improved, and very tasty indeed (especially on Rich Tea biscuits!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh I dunno..... having dissed it on here the first time I got it, I've got rather fond of it since!

If you leave it out to "warm" from fridge temperature, like most cheeses it's vastly improved, and very tasty indeed (especially on Rich Tea biscuits!)

Hmmm, I may give it another shot, but it's low low mature generally for me.
    On a related note, I've been buying their grated mature for years now and find it excellent in taste and value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

UsedToWait wrote: »
    The specially selected soups are made by Cully and Sully, or whoever manufactures that brand, if I'm not mistaken

If that's the case, the chicken version is watered down a good bit, and barely has any chicken pieces.
    The odd 'string' here or there but that's it.
    It's not a patch on Cully and Sully IMO.

Still, for the price, it's not bad. Shame though because a lot of Aldi's stuff is nearly, if way better, than the branded stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I had a 50 euro gift card for Dunnes so last week decided to do my main shop there instead of the usual Aldi.
    Pfft. Everything is so damned expensive in Dunnes compared to Aldi that I only bought a few items like milk, bread and butter etc.
    Spent only 16 Euros and headed off to Aldi to finish the shopping.

Yeah but for weekly shopping Dunnes €10 vouchers make it a lot closer. I think the vouchers explain why Dunnes has now overtaken Tesco i market share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    You can drain off the fat and use it cooking roast potatoes.
    It will keep in the fridge for ages if you don't need it immediately.

Just adding duck to my shopping list, thanks.
    Had the German meat balls on Monday with an aubergine and cheese pasta sauce that I picked up in Lidl: quite tasty, the kids loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

maximum12 wrote: »
    Yeah but for weekly shopping Dunnes €10 vouchers make it a lot closer. I think the vouchers explain why Dunnes has now overtaken Tesco i market share.

Yeah I heard talk of this on the radio the other day and they were attributing their success to these vouchers.

I must say I think the whole thing is an absolute con, and people only think they're getting better value. Its also totally off putting to single people/2 person households, who might not want to spend €50 per transaction.

Personally I think their own branded stuff is poor quality (as is Supervalu IMO) and generally their prices are expensive. I'm happy to spend about €35-40 in Tesco and then maybe another €20 in Aldi once a week. I specifically like spacing out my shopping by a few days so I always have fresh veg/dairy stuff in the house, so trying to spend €50 in Dunnes to get the voucher wouldnt work for me. I still think the same stuff would cost me €100+ in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭caviardreams

whiskeyman wrote: »
    If that's the case, the chicken version is watered down a good bit, and barely has any chicken pieces.

Still, for the price, it's not bad. Shame though because a lot of Aldi's stuff is nearly, if way better, than the branded stuff!

Yeah, I found that too, and when you compare % ingredients they are different, so a slightly different blend and I find the C&S one much more flavoursome. Worth paying the extra imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Aldi Blackcurrant High Fruit squash is delicious, as is the orange version.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If you leave it out to "warm" from fridge temperature, like most cheeses it's vastly improved
    I have little jars or dip container that I transfer stuff to so I do not have to leave it all out of the fridge.
    I must say I think the whole thing is an absolute con, and people only think they're getting better value. Its also totally off putting to single people/2 person households, who might not want to spend €50 per transaction.
    +1, I rarely go to dunnes and do find it expensive. They have no doubt increased the prices or held back on offers on the presumtion that people would/could be using these vouchers. Thats why the tesco ones were so good, you would get an aldi voucher and be able to use it on already heavily discounted stuff in tesco. While if tesco had issued their own voucher that week you could be pretty sure those good offers would not be on.

I would buy expensive toiletries and spirits to make up the value to get a discount.

I wonder if the aldi & lidl vouchers will be coming back again soon.

Back OT, I like the aldi cloudy lemonade, the clear stuff was not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Aldi Blackcurrant High Fruit squash is delicious, as is the orange version.

I second this - well for the blackcurrant - not a big fan of orange squash so haven't tried the orange one. But I also love their 'No Sugar Added' ones - Apple & Pear, Tropical, Summer Fruit and Peach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

whiskeyman wrote: »

Ah I've only had the tomato, which to my taste is indistinguishable..
    It's certainly possible that there are different recipes, particularly for more expensive ingredients like chicken..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Ah I've only had the tomato, which to my taste is indistinguishable..
    It's certainly possible that there are different recipes, particularly for more expensive ingredients like chicken..

Sorry by indistinguishable do u mean you wouldn't even know it was Tomato soup. I love the Avonmore Tomato and Basil soup.

Advertisement