Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry by indistinguishable do u mean you wouldn't even know it was Tomato soup. I love the Avonmore Tomato and Basil soup.

Sorry, I meant I couldn't taste a difference, from the Aldi and the Cully..
    Your taste buds may vary!

I also like the Avonmore, but only buy it when reduced in Tesco..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Does anyone know if Aldi do a similar version to erin's condensed chicken soup?

I find the Erin one great as a quick sauce for vol au vents and pie's.
    It's the one of two items I've to go to Tesco for so I'd be delighted if I could get something similar in Aldi.

Fingers crossed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ellejay wrote:
    Does anyone know if Aldi do a similar version to erin's condensed chicken soup?

My Aldi don't stock tined soups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi do soup
    294302.jpg?v=5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

That's interesting.
    I was also looking for tinned chicken soup to use as a sauce. Couldn't find any so I asked the manager who confirmed they didn't stock it.

Edit.
    I was looking for mushroom soup, not chicken, but couldn't find any tinned soups of any variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

snubbleste wrote: »
    Aldi do soup
    294302.jpg?v=5

thanks for that

just wondering has anyone tried using it as a sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never had it but I'd be fairly certain it wouldn't be as thick as the condensed soups such as Erin or Campbell's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

snubbleste wrote: »
    Aldi do soup
    294302.jpg?v=5

Aldi UK maybe.
    I've never seen them on shelves here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

Not as thick as the condensed ones. Got some fairly recently.

Has anyone tried the new(ish) chilli cheddar cheese? Great kick off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Alun wrote: »
    I've never had it but I'd be fairly certain it wouldn't be as thick as the condensed soups such as Erin or Campbell's.

Yeah, just looks like heat & serve soup, not to be diluted like campbells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Currently addicted to their beetroot and carrot salad from the chilled section. Yum!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

inforfun wrote: »
    Patat Tsjernobyl (Chernobyl, whatever, it is cyrillic) might be the local, Rotterdam, name so if you get a blank stare, just let them google it.
    Or learn my description by head...

So, I did indeed get the blank stare, you predicted here, but after giving (admittedly there was beer on board) semi-description, I was presented with a tray of chips, with what looked and tasted somewhat like a satay sauce, added to this was some mayo, and it was topped off with onion.

Definitely good, though I fear the gallon or so of beer consumed beforehand definitely altered my taste buds. :D

I've been over there a few times, but never sampled before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You had the "Oorlog" (war) not the "Chernobyl" then if the curry sauce and/or ketchup were missing.
    Satay sauce can be hit or miss and if not right it will ruin it. That is why i always make it myself.

Next challenge for you is the Kapsalon.

inforfun wrote: »
    You had the "Oorlog" (war) not the "Chernobyl" then if the curry sauce and/or ketchup were missing.
    Satay sauce can be hit or miss and if not right it will ruin it. That is why i always make it myself.

Next challenge for you is the Kapsalon.

I had to have a little giggle to myself at another vendor at the train station (on the Wednesday afternoon)

Man selling sausage rolls, so a bit peckish I went over and asked for one, no problem, €1.50 was the price.

I asked for ketchup, but he told me in a very strong Dutch accent "schorry, but that isch not a habit here" and handed me about 4 sachets of mayonnaise.

I instantly thought of Vincent's line from Pulp fiction. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I had to have a little giggle to myself at another vendor at the train station (on the Wednesday afternoon)

Man selling sausage rolls, so a bit peckish I went over and asked for one, no problem, €1.50 was the price.

I asked for ketchup, but he told me in a very strong Dutch accent "schorry, but that isch not a habit here" and handed me about 4 sachets of mayonnaise.

I instantly thought of Vincent's line from Pulp fiction. :D

Could we keep to Aldi products please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Could we keep to Aldi products please?

*cough cough*
    That's backseat modding Zelda247, please report posts if you think they're off topic.

This thread seems to naturally lend itself towards a bit of Aldi product inspired chat but if everyone could bare in mind that it's about Aldi products & keep to in the main, that would be fab, thanks :)

** they were sachets of Bramwells mayonnaise **.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I bought Aldi Luxury Fruit and Nut Muesli yesterday, for €1.99

I was really surprised to see the amount of fruit and whole nuts, plus pumpkin seeds and flakes of coconut.
    I was thinking they'd be stingy with the fruit and nuts but they really weren't.

Tastes gorgeous too.
    Definitely a favourite now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Get that muesli all the time and love it. Only problem I find is that the fruit and nut supplies run out a lot quicker in the shop than the fruit only.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

The luxury granola is awesome also, comes in a black box in either berry fruit version (jam packed with dried strawberries, cherries, blackcurrants and raspberries) or nut version (equally loads of hazelnut, almonds etc)

Both are pretty good on the saturated fat to non saturated fat content as well as the carbohydrates of which sugars parts - which a lot of granola's can be quite bad on

• Advertisement

Right, I've had the packet of Aldi 'Chinese citrus spelt' in the press for a couple of months at this stage, but due to dining alone this evening (everyone else got fed and watered elsewhere today) I decided to cook with it this evening.

Had a couple of pork chops that were approaching their use by date also, so decided to marry the two.

Finely chopped a clove of garlic, a tiny piece of grated ginger, a jalapeno (left the seeds in) and a few scallions, and quickly stir fired them in a hot wok for a minute, then threw in my chops, which I had sliced, into 10mm strips (I kept the fat separate)

Stir fried everything, with a couple of splashes of soy sauce for five minutes or so, until the chops were cooked through.

Then, I tipped in the whole packet of spelt, stirred it well up, added a few more splashes of soy, and a tbsp of honey. Then, I'm not sure why, but I decided it needed a tomato added to it, which I simply cut in half, and let it sit in the pan.

Then I put a cover on the wok, turned the heat down as low as I could, and just let it do its thing for seven minutes or so (the lid keeps the moisture in)

It was absolutely delicious, the pork and the citrus flavours went great together, the pulses had a good luck of Chinese five spice of them, then my old chum Mr Tomato was cut into every now and again, and he added some extra juciness to it.

Definitely gonna be a weekly dish in our house. Better than a Chinese takeaway, any night of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Has anyone tried the new gin?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Looks like our Alf is nifty on the barbie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Addle wrote: »

New gin? New gin, you say?? Do tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Eeden wrote: »
    New gin? New gin, you say?? Do tell!

Reads promising.
    I haven't seen it locally yet.
    http://www.herfamily.ie/food/stop-everything-aldi-selling-award-winning-gin/251935

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Addle wrote: »

There's a thread about it in Beers wines and spirits and some chat about it in the gin gin gin thread.
    http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057664813/1/#post101506628

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057609443/3/#post101492257

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Right, I've had the packet of Aldi 'Chinese citrus spelt' in the press for a couple of months at this stage, but due to dining alone this evening (everyone else got fed and watered elsewhere today) I decided to cook with it this evening.

Had a couple of pork chops that were approaching their use by date also, so decided to marry the two.

Finely chopped a clove of garlic, a tiny piece of grated ginger, a jalapeno (left the seeds in) and a few scallions, and quickly stir fired them in a hot wok for a minute, then threw in my chops, which I had sliced, into 10mm strips (I kept the fat separate)

Stir fried everything, with a couple of splashes of soy sauce for five minutes or so, until the chops were cooked through.

Then, I tipped in the whole packet of spelt, stirred it well up, added a few more splashes of soy, and a tbsp of honey. Then, I'm not sure why, but I decided it needed a tomato added to it, which I simply cut in half, and let it sit in the pan.

Then I put a cover on the wok, turned the heat down as low as I could, and just let it do its thing for seven minutes or so (the lid keeps the moisture in)

It was absolutely delicious, the pork and the citrus flavours went great together, the pulses had a good luck of Chinese five spice of them, then my old chum Mr Tomato was cut into every now and again, and he added some extra juciness to it.

Definitely gonna be a weekly dish in our house. Better than a Chinese takeaway, any night of the week.

Where in the store is the spelt kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Bassfish

+1 for the nutty granola. Delicious with hot milk. My favourite Aldi products are;
    The frozen salmon en croute
    The brioche burger buns
    The houmous with pesto
    The vintage cheddar
    The chorizo
    The frozen goose fat roast potatoes
    The luxury yoghurts from West Cork

I do like to indulge in the finer things :-)

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Where in the store is the spelt kept?

It is kept beside the curried lentils etc, on the first aisle as you enter the store, same section as curry sauces, rice, poppadoms etc.

• Advertisement

@ Zelda.

This is what you're looking for.

HYqgAt.jpg

Advertisement